Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get a maxon od9 because, I tried a ts9 and liked it. The maxon is cheaper, better build and true bypass (I don't really care about true bypass :lol:).

the od9 is pretty much the same as the ts9, right? (I heard somewhere it is closer to the ts808 :scratch:)

Maxon od9 is just an od808 with a better housing and bypass.
Great pedal (just like 808), but it doesn't have the 18v option like the 820, vop9, and od9pro+.

If your using actives or very high output passives, then I really don't think you'd ever use the 9v mode on any of these except maybe for tracking leads/solos where the sweeter warmer sound might be more desired.

One more thing, any of the 18v maxons can do an excellent mid-hump, it's just that one of the benifits is a cleaner boost with drive set to 0.
If you set the drive up a bit to the 9:00-10:00 position with the level at or near max you'll get very close to the same compressed feel as you'd get with the 808/od9 at drive 0 with level maxxed, only at 18v it's a little more hi-fi sounding.
And when set in 9v mode it comes out a bit warmer and less punchy/aggressive.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
Maxon od9 is just an od808 with a better housing and bypass.
Great pedal (just like 808), but it doesn't have the 18v option like the 820, vop9, and od9pro+.

If your using actives or very high output passives, then I really don't think you'd ever use the 9v mode on any of these except maybe for tracking leads/solos where the sweeter warmer sound might be more desired.

One more thing, any of the 18v maxons can do an excellent mid-hump, it's just that one of the benifits is a cleaner boost with drive set to 0.
If you set the drive up a bit to the 8:00-9:00 position with the level at or near max you'll get very close to the same compressed feel as you'd get with the 808/od9 at drive 0 with level maxxed, only at 18v it's a little more hi-fi sounding.
And when set in 9v mode it comes out a bit warmer and less punchy/aggressive.

so the vop9 will be the best choice for me?

(I dig punchy, ultra tight hi-fi sounds :D)

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
so the vop9 will be the best choice for me?

(I dig punchy, ultra tight hi-fi sounds :D)

Well I'm obviously a little biassed towards the pro+ (since that's what I chose and we all like to think we made the correct choice :lol:).

It pre-boost the mids and cuts a little lows when the boost toogle is engaged. Because of this I only run the drive knob around 8:00 and have the level maxxed or very close to max.

With the toogle in the normal position I run the drive at 9:00-10:00 and it ends up very simalar (although a bit different).

With the boost toogle off and the drive on 0, you'll be able to have your amps gain a bit higher up than you would with a normal 9v style ts/808 set the same (drive 0, level max, tone near the middle).

Super tough call really, it depends on everything else about your rig and your personal ear preference.

But I would definetly suggest one of the maxons with the 18v/9v option.
Can't really lose with any of them, and alot of the subtle differences can be tweeked (accented or nuetralized) by your amp settings.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :) I was looking at the Maxon OD-820 which is true bypass but am unsure if it can do metal. Unfortunately alot of the videos on youtube just use the overdrives on mild amps whilst playing blues...
FWIW and to quote what the guys at Maxon told one of the artists I talk to who got me to get one, I know it's true bypass but "the OD-808 is "THE" one that everybody wants." The other really good pedal a lot of the pro's have been switching to is the Fulltone OCD.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
Well I'm obviously a little biassed towards the pro+ (since that's what I chose and we all like to think we made the correct choice :lol:).

It pre-boost the mids and cuts a little lows when the boost toogle is engaged. Because of this I only run the drive knob around 8:00 and have the level maxxed or very close to max.

With the toogle in the normal position I run the drive at 9:00-10:00 and it ends up very simalar (although a bit different).

With the boost toogle off and the drive on 0, you'll be able to have your amps gain a bit higher up than you would with a normal 9v style ts/808 set the same (drive 0, level max, tone near the middle).

Super tough call really, it depends on everything else about your rig and your personal ear preference.

But I would definetly suggest one of the maxons with the 18v/9v option.
Can't really lose with any of them, and alot of the subtle differences can be tweeked (accented or nuetralized) by your amp settings.

do you prefer it with or without the boost switch engaged?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
do you prefer it with or without the boost switch engaged?

Like it on better. Thicker mids more like the 808, but at 18v it's just more aggressive and snappier than my 808.

However, if one was running a tighter cleaner passive through a tight clear amp like a jcm800 or something, then a basic 808/od9 might be the perfect balance.

http://www.guitarworld.com/maxon-od-9-overdrive-pedal

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
the Ibanez ts7 less of a mid bump and bass cut than the rest of the tubescreamer, right?

how will the mids and bass cut on the od820/vop9/od9 pro+ (with boost off) compare with the ts7?

is there still a mid bump and bass cut with the boost switch off?

and is it just as tight as when the boost switch is on?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
the Ibanez ts7 less of a mid bump and bass cut than the rest of the tubescreamer, right?

how will the mids and bass cut on the od820/vop9/od9 pro+ (with boost off) compare with the ts7?

is there still a mid bump and bass cut with the boost switch off?

and is it just as tight as when the boost switch is on?

My ts9 had more of a bass cut than any of the others (haven't tried ts7), but it just didn't transfer the humped mids as well IMO.
The ts9 had what I'd call a slightly more processed sound than the others.

od820/vop9 will have less bass cut and mid hump at 0-drive than the 808/od9/od9+(boost off).

With the boost off, drive on zero, level max, and tone near noon, the pro+ still cuts the ultra lows and mid-humps but doesn't soften up (compress) the feel like an 808 type.
This lets you set the amp gain almost as high as you would if bypassing the pedal completely.
With an 808/od9 I have to take my amps gain down much lower.
With the boost on it compresses more so the amps gain gets backed off some more to keep it tight.
I run it both ways just for change/inspiration.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
so, is the vop9 a good choice as a clean boost to make things tighter and clearer?

:agreed:Yes, and now after talking about it so much I'm wanting one for my collection :wallbash: :lol:.
The add for it shows Jeff Loomis and Dave Weiner (steve vai band), and I also have seen Dave give a review and reccommend it as his favorite screamer type :bowdown:.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
Whilst I haven't tried the VOP-9 or OD820, Maxon say that with drive at signal, the distorted signal is not send through at all, but the processed signal is. I'd assume this means you'd have a smoother, more natural tone, but I do like what 'normal' Tubescreamer style pedal does.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
also, what's the fulltone ocd like as a clean boost?

other than that it's probably out of maxon od9 pro+, maxon vop9, maxon od808 and ibanez ts808

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
also, what's the fulltone ocd like as a clean boost?

other than that it's probably out of maxon od9 pro+, maxon vop9, maxon od808 and ibanez ts808

personally i found it didn't really differ much from a ts9

i used one infront of a dual and triple recto and a 6505 and didn't find much of anything special with it, it will boost quite well, but not much different than any other ts9 type OD

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
the ocd can do 18v also,right?

If this is true it's either the ocd, od9 pro+ or od808

Never tried one, but just checked.
It appears that the ocd does do 18v.
Some guys swear by them 4sure.

Nice getting the full size chasis on any of the 9-series pedals though.
I've always liked the od9 style pedal switches better as well, but that's just minor stuff compared to tone.

If you do choose the 808 route, keep in mind that the od9 is the same thing but has true bypass in the case of ever wanting to switch it off for cleans. Plus they feel better if foot-switching them IMO.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a hardwire cm-2

I found my old bad monkey and tried it... I like it better the ts7

The bad monkey and hardwire cm-2 are supposed to be pretty similar but the cm-2 has more clarity and is smoother IMO (tried it at my local store out of curiosity, against the od808 I liked it more)

it's true bypass and felt a lot studier than the 808

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a hardwire cm-2

I found my old bad monkey and tried it... I like it better the ts7

The bad monkey and hardwire cm-2 are supposed to be pretty similar but the cm-2 has more clarity and is smoother IMO (tried it at my local store out of curiosity, against the od808 I liked it more)

it's true bypass and felt a lot studier than the 808

LOVE the CM-2, setting highs and lows is the bomb, and yes quite smooth, goes really well with rectos and 5150's

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with that hardwire.
I believe those run at 15v, and like the maxon pro series, they do it from a 9v power source (battery or 9v adapter).
They do chew up batteries alot quicker running at higher voltage though, so it's better to plug them in when possible.
I also really like the little notches on the knobs for more locked in precise settings.

Reaction score
Definitely consider Xotic - wonderful sounding pedals. I use an RC Booster and an AC Booster, and sometimes the BB MB over my dirty channel. Sounds awesome man!

skeeballcore

Reaction score
Ok I’ve got a 5150II/6505+

I’ve owned the following as stated earlier in the thread

Bad Monkey – was fine; but was a little too cold sounding

Satriani Ice 9- too much color to the tone (awesome stand alone though)

Green Screamer – also colored a little more than I wanted; a little grainy

Maxon Od 808 – amazing standalone; sounds pretty cool boosting; but it leaves the sound feeling kinda cold as well; kinda fake sounding

So, what OD would do the following:

- Boost for more sustain/better harmonics/better TIGHT feel

- Give the sound some warmth instead of sounding cold/plastic-y

Of interest to me are the Fulltone OCD; and possibly the GT-OD; but I wanted more recommendations

Latest posts

')