Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ronjhoser

Reaction score
Dude, just buy an OD808 or TS9 and play with it. You are all caught up in buzz words, i.e. is it analog... gotta be true bypass, etc. Dig in with a reference that is well known and then if you are not 100% satisfied, you can look elsewhere with a plan. If you know that you want something like an OD808 with more or less of whatever, it will be much easier to find.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe this video has been posted yet.
It is a good demo of using the ts808 (close to the od808 of coarse) as a front end boost (gain0, tone9:00, levelmax).
Most of the youtubers I've seen are using the pedal gain for additional saturation.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I love my SD 805 OD. Coming from an ibby ts7, it was night and day. It wasn't blind, and colored overdrive. Rather it had a unique tone of it's own, that wasn't in your face. In a way it was subtle, but very clean, transparent and full of life at the same time. Super impressed.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
6 pages, and a literal ass-load of pedal recommendations. I think I would be officially overwhelmed if I was new to this. :ugh:

I think the moral of the story is that almost any overdrive pedal (and even some distortion pedals) will work well to alter character/tighten/make an amp more aggressive. But that doesn't really help with where to start.

If I could give advice to someone looking to get into using an overdrive pedal, I would say, start with a bog-standard tubescreamer. a TS808, TS9, OD808, or something that replicates the TS808/TS9 circuit fairly accurately. Get one used so its cheap. Use it for a while and decide what you like and dislike about it.

1. Love it the way it is? Congrats! Search over.

2. Love it, but want to make tweaks to the bass cut, or the mid bump, or the character of the drive, or the amount of level, or the eq, etc, etc, etc? Congrats! Time to enter the realm of the modded tubescreamers, but at least you know what you're looking for now.

3. Hate everything about it? Congrats! You're not a tubescreamer guy, and you can dismiss ~70% of the overdrives out there, which certainly reduces the amount of stuff you have to wade through, to find the pedal for you.

Just sounds like the most logical way to go about it, to me.

')