Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Stock used Ibanez TS7 or TS9 (same circuit, different box.) Drive off, Level at unity, tone to taste. $30-80 for one in good shape.

You don't want "transparent." You don't want "adds bottom end back."

You want "cuts sub lows and focuses my tone to TEAR YOUR FACE OFF." You don't need to add gain since your amp has plenty of that; you just want the way that the TS tightens up the low end and high treble and makes an amp punch and snarl.

Also, you don't *need* true bypass. The buffer in those pedals is incredibly transparent, and the signal doesn't "pop" when switched on like all but the most expensive true bypass OD pedals.
I disagree strongly, the ts7 and ts9 are NOT the same thing compared to the ts7 the ts9 has a bigger mid hump and tightens the amp WAY more than the ts7 while adding more compression and smoothness. I know because I own both.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey

Reaction score
Again dude most of the pedals these guys are recommending just add gain where the purpose of a tubescreamer isn't to add gain but to tighten the low end (gain-0 tone anywhere from half to maxed and level maxed.

I think the pedal that has the biggest effect I have heard is the TS9 where the ts808 isn't as aggressive.

Oh by the way, kirk hammet of metallica uses the TS9 for leads.

But how exactly does it tighten the low end? Does it cut the bass and bump the mids?

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
I disagree strongly, the ts7 and ts9 are NOT the same thing compared to the ts7 the ts9 has a bigger mid hump and tightens the amp WAY more than the ts7 while adding more compression and smoothness. I know because I own both.

You are able to mod the TS-7 to 808 specs through the changing of two resistors.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
But how exactly does it tighten the low end? Does it cut the bass and bump the mids?
Yes, and if you want the BEST boost out there get the maxon od-9 pro+ if you want cheaper ts9, cheapest ts7.

And also if I was playing mainly thrash I wouldn't have an ENGL SE if I was you id be looking at a marshall JVM.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score

They are the exact same circuit, dude, with a slightly different layout. I own both too :lol:

The only difference is the casing and the price. If you hear any difference, it's because the tolerances on electronic parts can be off by as much as 10% in each direction.

Regardless, all this TS snobbery cracks me up. There are a million flavors of the same thing, just like the Ross-style compressors that everyone from MXR to Keeley make.

Also, telling him to buy a totally different amp when the SE does thrash just fine is kind of hilarious to me.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
They are the exact same circuit, dude, with a slightly different layout. I own both too :lol:

The only difference is the casing and the price. If you hear any difference, it's because the tolerances on electronic parts can be off by as much as 10% in each direction.

Regardless, all this TS snobbery cracks me up. There are a million flavors of the same thing, just like the Ross-style compressors that everyone from MXR to Keeley make.

Also, telling him to buy a totally different amp when the SE does thrash just fine is kind of hilarious to me.
Of course it the SE works for thrash but no amp does it better than a marshall, and the ts9 had a very nasal mid range that my ts7 doesn't have.

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
an Ibanez TS9 and a ProCo RAT will do pretty much anything you want.

and true bypass isn't always the 'ideal' it's believed(hyped) to be.

Mickey

Reaction score
Stock used Ibanez TS7 or TS9 (same circuit, different box.) Drive off, Level at unity, tone to taste. $30-80 for one in good shape.

You don't want "transparent." You don't want "adds bottom end back."

You want "cuts sub lows and focuses my tone to TEAR YOUR FACE OFF." You don't need to add gain since your amp has plenty of that; you just want the way that the TS tightens up the low end and high treble and makes an amp punch and snarl.

Also, you don't *need* true bypass. The buffer in those pedals is incredibly transparent, and the signal doesn't "pop" when switched on like all but the most expensive true bypass OD pedals.

Thanks for the advice :) Decisions decisions...

Mickey

Reaction score
I've probably gone through about 15 or so OD's... my search ended with an Xotic Custom Shop BB MB. Unlike all other TS variants, the BB MB not only allows you to tweak both the Treble, Bass, and Mid-Boost separately, but it also does not have to be dialed in with the typical Volume=Max / Gain=0 settings... feel free to turn up the gain a little as it blends seamlessly with most amps preamp distortion. And with as much tailoring as the pedal allows prior to the amps preamp, I found that I could coax a punchier, tighter bass response with even more gain out of my Dual Rec without worrying about it fizzing out. BB MB + Mesa T-verb = Awesomeness.

Or don't try it... the last thing I need is to worry about another persons tone sounding as good as mine hahaha.

Are the bass and treble knobs for cutting? Ie the more you turn the knob the more bass/treble it cuts?

pawel

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Timmy. Other options include the Fulltone OCD(more suited for higher gain?), used Klon, modded Keeley TS9, Lovepedal Eternity or Analogman KOT(although the year and a half wait renders this void). What do you guys think? Would it be beneficial stacking the Timmy with a a tubescreamer type pedal? My amp is pretty high gain so I don't know if I would need a tubescreamer, just something to tighten it up.

I own the Timmy and it's an amazing pedal for what it's supposed to do (turn a clean amp into a lightly overdriven amp without changing your tone), but as the poster says above, it's the exact opposite to a TS-style pedal. It might work for your needs, but I would personally go the tried and tested (and cheaper) route first and just get a good TS-style pedal. Everyone needs to have a TS around anyways. Hell, you can even get the Digitech Bad Monkey and it will probably work well.

Timmy stacks great with other pedals, but it's usually a combination I would use into a cleaner amp. My approach to the Timmy is think of it as the first part of a preamp, run higher gain pedals into the Timmy and use the Timmy EQ to shape the sound. Most of my tones for recording are OD/Fuzz Face/Big Muff into the Timmy into Delay into a Fender sim preamp (or my Champ 600 combo for practicing).

Mickey

Reaction score
I own the Timmy and it's an amazing pedal for what it's supposed to do (turn a clean amp into a lightly overdriven amp without changing your tone), but as the poster says above, it's the exact opposite to a TS-style pedal. It might work for your needs, but I would personally go the tried and tested (and cheaper) route first and just get a good TS-style pedal. Everyone needs to have a TS around anyways. Hell, you can even get the Digitech Bad Monkey and it will probably work well.

Timmy stacks great with other pedals, but it's usually a combination I would use into a cleaner amp. My approach to the Timmy is think of it as the first part of a preamp, run higher gain pedals into the Timmy and use the Timmy EQ to shape the sound. Most of my tones for recording are OD/Fuzz Face/Big Muff into the Timmy into Delay into a Fender sim preamp (or my Champ 600 combo for practicing).

Thanks for the info. I'm after something that will tighten up my amps distortion when playing metal rhythm and leads. Looks the the Timmy won't be the pedal for that.... Are Ibanez/Maxon the only companies making tubescreamers? Does it specifically have to say "tubescreamer" on the pedal for it to be a TS? Will the TS also boost? Sorry if all this is basic stuff :( Maxon OD-9 Pro plus a good choice? Maxon Od820?

pawel

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm after something that will tighten up my amps distortion when playing metal rhythm and leads. Looks the the Timmy won't be the pedal for that.... Are Ibanez/Maxon the only companies making tubescreamers? Does it specifically have to say "tubescreamer" on the pedal for it to be a TS? Will the TS also boost? Sorry if all this is basic stuff :(

The Tubescreamer circuit (and its many variations) is probably the most copied pedal circuit. There are countless 'boutique' companies making TS-style pedals, aimed mainly at the SRV-fans/blues market. Given that you are not looking for the TS to be a key element of your tone (as someone playing a strat into a Twin Reverb might), I would not bother too much with trying to source anything too exotic (unless you come across something used) and would get one of the mass-produced TS pedals. I think Maxons might have slightly better spec on average than Ibanez, so that would be my choice. I owned a Maxon SD-9 once (somewhat different pedal than a TS) and it was a very solid piece of gear.

And yes, they can act as a booster (as someone described it earlier in the thread) by turning the drive down and output up. It probably won't be the most 'transparent' clean boost, but it's not what you need anyways.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
green rhino - the adjustable bass is wonderful

Shask

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm after something that will tighten up my amps distortion when playing metal rhythm and leads. Looks the the Timmy won't be the pedal for that.... Are Ibanez/Maxon the only companies making tubescreamers? Does it specifically have to say "tubescreamer" on the pedal for it to be a TS? Will the TS also boost? Sorry if all this is basic stuff :( Maxon OD-9 Pro plus a good choice? Maxon Od820?

As said above, most overdrives are a variation of the Tubescreamer. Any OD pedal that is green and has 3 knobs is probably a variation :lol:

If you want tightening, you probably want a Tubescreamer. TS-9, TS-808, OD9, OD808, Boss SD-1, MXR Classic OD, MXR ZW, MXR GT-OD, Green Rhino, BBE Green Screamer, Digitech Bad Monkey, etc.... they are all variations of the same thing.

I don't have a Timmy, but I have a Danelectro TOD. It is a copy of the Timmy. It is a cool booster, but not really what you are probably wanting.

I have several of these pedals, but the one I really want right now is the Green Rhino. It is a cool pedal with tons of volume and tweakability. Otherwise, I want a Maxon OD808 just because it is the one everyone seems to use....

Mickey

Reaction score
As said above, most overdrives are a variation of the Tubescreamer. Any OD pedal that is green and has 3 knobs is probably a variation :lol:

If you want tightening, you probably want a Tubescreamer. TS-9, TS-808, OD9, OD808, Boss SD-1, MXR Classic OD, MXR ZW, MXR GT-OD, Green Rhino, BBE Green Screamer, Digitech Bad Monkey, etc.... they are all variations of the same thing.

I don't have a Timmy, but I have a Danelectro TOD. It is a copy of the Timmy. It is a cool booster, but not really what you are probably wanting.

I have several of these pedals, but the one I really want right now is the Green Rhino. It is a cool pedal with tons of volume and tweakability. Otherwise, I want a Maxon OD808 just because it is the one everyone seems to use....

Would the Maxon SM9 pro be a good choice? I think it is more geared toward metal? Otherwise a Green Rhino, OD820 or OD9 Pro+ are the go.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Would the Maxon SM9 pro be a good choice? I think it is more geared toward metal? Otherwise a Green Rhino, OD820 or OD9 Pro+ are the go.

I say the od9 pro+, an od808, ts7, ts9. ts808, gt-od, bbe green screamer and if you want a pedal to make your leads sound awesome get the homeBrew electronics gary holt "doomsday device" as you can see in my name im a exodus (exous) fan and I think he has one of the best lead tones I have ever heard.

Mickey

Reaction score
I say the od9 pro+, an od808, ts7, ts9. ts808, gt-od, bbe green screamer and if you want a pedal to make your leads sound awesome get the homeBrew electronics gary holt "doomsday device" as you can see in my name im a exodus (exous) fan and I think he has one of the best lead tones I have ever heard.

Thanks for that. Most likely going with the OD9 Pro+, I'm hoping it will tighten up both lead and rhythm tones ;) Might stack it with a Timmy later on but we shall see.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Most likely going with the OD9 Pro+, I'm hoping it will tighten up both lead and rhythm tones ;) Might stack it with a Timmy later on but we shall see.
It will tighten up amazingly, read their description on the site, it has a mode made for boosting as well as true bypass, and considering you want the timmy also, I would consider getting that doomsday device, if you like the tone exodus has had the past decade you will like that pedal. What bands do you usually play?

Mickey

Reaction score
It will tighten up amazingly, read their description on the site, it has a mode made for boosting as well as true bypass, and considering you want the timmy also, I would consider getting that doomsday device, if you like the tone exodus has had the past decade you will like that pedal. What bands do you usually play?

Mainly Megadeth and Metallica, Guns N' Roses also.

Rayan22

Coat of Arms UAE
Reaction score
To be honest, When i doing a shootout of all the overdrive pedals I was interested in, there were 2 or 3 pedals I tried out that were surprisingly good. Obviously there were the Maxon's, Ibanez's, and stuff... but the ones I tried out that were awesome were the Suhr koko Boost, and Green Rhino by Way Huge. Those are some fantastic pedals, another one to check out is MI Audio (Australian company) who make some fantastic boutique and hand wired pedals... I have their MI Audio - Compressor, but their Tube Zone is absolutely PHENOMENAL! Check out here... it has everything you would ever need for everythign you would ever use it for... HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM! M I - E F F E C T S

')