Which pickup set to go in which guitar?!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Well here's the question... I have a set of BKP Nailbomb 7's on the way in and a set of Lundgren M7's as well. Originally the plan was to put the BKPs into my Carvin DC727 and the Lundgrens into the Sherman 7. The more I think about it, maybe I should switch them and go the other way around? :scratch: :nuts: Here's what I'm looking at:

DC727 - Swamp ash body, maple top + neck + fretboard

Sherman 7 - Mahoghany body, maple top + neck, ebony fretboard

Does anyone else think the Nailbombs might be better suited to the mahoghany body than the swamp ash? I mean, I liked the sound of Bulb's DC747 (same wood combo) with the M7 bridge so I am pretty sure the Carvin would sound good with the M7's, but has anyone tried the Nailbomb 7 (bridge is the main concern I guess :shrug:) in a Mahoghany-bodied 7-string yet? :scratch: I mean I'm sure either set would sound good in both guitars but I'm thinking maybe with the clarity of the swamp ash that the hi-fi Lundgrens would do best in that guitar now to accentuate the tight lows and clear mids and highs? :agreed: Any opinions on the matter? Thanks homies! :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
what's stopping you from trying out every possible mixture?

it's the only True Tone Whore way :agreed:

Nick

Reaction score
did you not consult the guy at bareknuckle about your choice of pickup?

id go with your origional intention of BKP in the carvin and lundgren in the sherman purley because the guy at BKP knows his stuff from everything iv seen on him so far

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Put that Nailbombs in the Sherman Matt. That way when I buy it off you two weeks after you get it, it will have the pickups I want. :D

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
With the maple tops and maple/ebony fretboards, your tones will most likely not be extremely different as a result of the wood. The Carvin will be a bit brighter, but you could put either pickup in either guitar and it would sound great. :yesway:

I'd do as Leon says. Switching the pups out takes less than one hour and will be the only definite answer to your question. Then you can post clips and pictures here with your findings and accumulate tons of e-rep. ;)

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I'd sell the Lundgren's to a gay member of the forum in return for his Ibanez V77 and V87 pickups, and put those in the Carvin. It would do it justice. :fawk: :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
did you not consult the guy at bareknuckle about your choice of pickup?

id go with your origional intention of BKP in the carvin and lundgren in the sherman purley because the guy at BKP knows his stuff from everything iv seen on him so far

I asked Tim if he could wind me a hotter version of the Rebel Yell 6'er set he sold me for my Thorn but in a 7-string pickup. He told me that the Nailbomb 7 set IS a hotter Rebel Yell, no difference. :D He didn't tell me I had to go with that, he just said it was a good all-around pickup so I figure it would work in both I was just curious if anyone thought going one way over the other might be beneficial. :lol: He didn't say the Nailbomb was specifically wound for a swamp ash guitar vs a mahoghany guitar. :)

what's stopping you from trying out every possible mixture?

it's the only True Tone Whore way :agreed:

That's what I'd like to do but I'm sending the guitar away to have the pickups installed and then 2nd set will be getting sent to Mike to hang onto for my Sherman so I don't know that I'll have both sets of pickups until I get the Sherman. :lol:

Personally, I'd sell the Lundgren's to a gay member of the forum in return for his Ibanez V77 and V87 pickups, and put those in the Carvin. It would do it justice. :fawk: :lol:

Man, so many ways to rip on you and Ibanez in general, so little time! :D Hey, in order to SELL the pickups to a sexually confused member of this forum, he would have to have a working bank account! :fawk: :wub:

ultranoob

Reaction score
yo man, careful when putting the m7 in the carvin, my guy putting it in said it would be hard to revert to something else at a later date because of the routing done and some screw placement.. but what do i know

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
yo man, careful when putting the m7 in the carvin, my guy putting it in said it would be hard to revert to something else at a later date because of the routing done and some screw placement.. but what do i know

I'm having the guitar routed to fit ANY regular-sized pickup and I will be adding pickup rings so it will be no harder than replacing any other pickup once the guitar is properly routed. I think he might have been confused or didn't route your guitar properly perhaps because it shouldn't be an issue as the baseplate is standard-sized IIRC. :shrug: Once the Carvin routes are widened and/or deepened to accept a normal-sized 7-string pickup there will be no problem swapping pickups. :yesway:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
what does a pickup ring do?

You mount the ring to the body and it allows you to raise and lower the pickup without having the screws that run through the hole in the pickup ears drill into the body. I prefer pickup rings to direct mounting personally, but it's that's just my taste. I think direct-mounted pickups look cleaner but I feel it's eaiser to raise and lower my pickups when using rings. :shrug:

')