Which pickups for a Hellraiser? (81-7, 57-7...)

Álvaro QB

Reaction score
Hi! I have an Schecter Hellraiser C7 and I'm about to change pickups. For the moment, just the bridge one. I have had in this guitar:
-EMG 707tw. I didn't like it at all, it was scooped, lacked attack and sounded really bassy and muffled.
-SD Distortion 7. Good pickup, with nice attack but still so bassy for this guitar.

So I'm looking for something tighter than these ones that works fine for hi gain sounds (no need for versatility). This guitar has a really rounded attack, not so agressive, so I really want something that gives me some emphasis in the pick attack.

My options are:
-EMG 81-7. It seems to be a great option, as far as I've heard it is tight, not so bassy... my concern is, is there a noticeable difference with the 707tw or it's just slighty different?
-EMG 57-7. I like the clips I've heard. But I'm afraid it may be so bassy or not tight enough for this guitar.

Since there are versions of the Hellraiser with the 81-7and the 57-7 (the hybrid series), can someone send me some DIs? I would thank you a lot!

Other option I have considered is the Duncan Nazgul, but in the comparisons I've heard the 81-7 is way tighter and closer to what I want. I haven't tried blackouts but as far as I've heard they're bassier than the ones I've got, the opposite of what I need.

PS: I'm only considering pickups that fits into 707s space (I had to mod the Distortion and I don't want to do it again). Also I'm not considering go to more expensive brands (BKPs...) unless they have something that really make a big big difference with EMG or Duncans.

Thank you so much!
Álvaro.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jerm

Reaction score
Sorry to be so trendy but what about Fishman's?

Álvaro QB

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the answers!
I considered the Pegasus too, but for the samples I've heard it seems to be darker and softer than the ones I mentioned, but I may be wrong. I'd like to try the Fishmans, how are they EQ-wise in comparison with the EMG 81-7 or the DD?

Zado

Reaction score
Schecter Apocalypse, they sound absolutely rad on the Hellraiser Passive

Álvaro QB

Reaction score
Thanks. I couldn't wait and and I went for the EMG 81-7, I hope I won't regret haha

Shask

Reaction score
I was gonna say to try the standard EMG 81. Classic for bright, tight tones. VERY different than the EMG 707.

I have thought about trying an EMG 81 in my HR C7, but haven't for a few reasons... the 707TW doesn't have the same connector, so I would have to change electronics, which I dont feel like doing, lol, also, I have grown to like the 707 for that guitar because it has such s deep, fat sound. I have other guitars for the bright, tight thing.

Álvaro QB

Reaction score
Thank you all! I have finally bought a EMG 81-7 and put it on the Hellraiser just a few hours ago! Now the guitar sounds really percussive and clear on the low strings, with no need of cutting lows before the preamp to avoid sounding mushy, just what I was looking for! It's really different than the Distortion and the 707tw!