Which Pickups for Mayones Regius Core Classic 6 String?

• Thread starter SoundAsleep7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Howdy sevenstring slingers,

Given you have been very helpful with guitar amp buying decisions recently (KSR Orthos 2), just wondering what pickups you are putting in your Mayos? I’m interested in pick ups voiced for progressive rock in the style of Karnivool or Rabea Masaad so I’m leaning towards Bare Knuckle Aftermaths or similar, just not sure. Please recommend which pickups would work best with a Mayo through KSR Orthos 2 using effects clean/gain. Particularly ones you tried.

makecamera

Reaction score
I can't give you a suggestion, but I believe Rabea uses a Ragnarok in one of his guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Definitely not aftermaths unless you want sterile monuments-tesseract type of sound. I like BKPs for their lively open tone, Rebel Yell being my favourite for all kinds of stuff. Before you judge me a fanboy, I just bought a basic Duncan 59 and also some cheap Vanson humbuckers from Ebay. Can't say yet how they compare against 5x more expensive pickups.

My advice is to use the stock pups and see what you like or dont like about them and then ask again.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Definitely not aftermaths unless you want sterile monuments-tesseract type of sound. I like BKPs for their lively open tone, Rebel Yell being my favourite for all kinds of stuff. Before you judge me a fanboy, I just bought a basic Duncan 59 and also some cheap Vanson humbuckers from Ebay. Can't say yet how they compare against 5x more expensive pickups.

My advice is to use the stock pups and see what you like or dont like about them and then ask again.

It’s most likely a custom Mayones. There are no stock pickups.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats on having a Regius. It is a good life :)

Mine came with aftermaths and I’m not a huge fan. There is a weird trebly shrill that makes the “djents” sound ultra cool, a la tesseract/periphery/monuments, but anything other than chugs is too shrill. I am hoping to swap in a BKP black dog bridge and the mule neck to go for a more rounded tone.

So, it depends on what you want. Do you want ultra djents or more versatility?

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply Snarpaasi. I’m not after monuments-tessaract tone. I agree, I’m after a lively open tone, not a lifeless sterile sound. I’m after a Mayones Core Classic Custom either 6 or 7 string, not 100% sure which one yet. Six string comes with JBs and seven string comes with BKP Juggernauts. I’m after a flame maple top instead of quilt, yet you’ll get the idea from this clip:
I’m definitely after versatile tone too; )

chopeth85

Reaction score
Ive got a custom Regius 7 string with swamp Ash body and the Ragnarok works increíbly. Way verter than the warpig ( the previous set i had installed)

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
It’s most likely a custom Mayones. There are no stock pickups.

That’s correct diagrammatiks, it will be a custom so although they list pickups with the one you choose, you can select your own pickups with a slight upcharge. I’m considering the BKP Juggernauts, Nail Bombs, Ragnaroks, or Lundgren Black Heavens. Otherwise what you guys suggest. So many great pickups listed, so little time to try them all.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
That’s correct diagrammatiks, it will be a custom so although they list pickups with the one you choose, you can select your own pickups with a slight upcharge.

These things...it’s really neat for you to spec on pair and then maybe change them out after a few string changes. Bkp usually resales pretty well.

I’ve got aftermaths in my strandberg. But I also have almost every set of every high output pickup that bkp makes

Dunno if I would be happy with aftermaths as my only set. Only pair I like that much are the WarPigs

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Congrats on having a Regius. It is a good life :)

Mine came with aftermaths and I’m not a huge fan. There is a weird trebly shrill that makes the “djents” sound ultra cool, a la tesseract/periphery/monuments, but anything other than chugs is too shrill. I am hoping to swap in a BKP black dog bridge and the mule neck to go for a more rounded tone.

So, it depends on what you want. Do you want ultra djents or more versatility?

Thanks for your reply Sezna. Hopefully I can proceed with purchasing a Regius. They look great and sound great to me. How do you find yours? Is it awesome? Definitely not after a trebly shrill sound. I’m after a more rounded versatile tone. I’ve heard the BKP black dog and mule pickups are great. Depends on what you want I guess that is correct, Todd is subjective. I’m after pickups that work well clean and gain, and can bring out the aggression of the KSR Orthos 2. It’s on the Bogner Uberschall sound spectrum somewhere. I’m after versatility over ultradjents, although a bit more aggressive than average; )

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Ive got a custom Regius 7 string with swamp Ash body and the Ragnarok works increíbly. Way verter than the warpig ( the previous set i had installed)

Thanks Chopeth85 I’ll add Ragnaroks to the list. I like Rabea Masaad I think he’s a good player. I believe he uses them in his guitars.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
These things...it’s really neat for you to spec on pair and then maybe change them out after a few string changes. Bkp usually resales pretty well.

I’ve got aftermaths in my strandberg. But I also have almost every set of every high output pickup that bkp makes

Dunno if I would be happy with aftermaths as my only set. Only pair I like that much are the WarPigs

Thanks Diagrammatiks, I’ve really got to get it right first time round if at all possible as mayones guitars aren’t cheap and the mrs is less than patient. Some are saying the aftermaths are too ice picky, do you find that to be the case? I’m after organic and natural with a hint at being more aggressive. War pigs sound good in clips, how do you find them? Do you have the Ragnaroks? I’ve heard they’re good, yet unsure on how versatile they are.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Sezna. Hopefully I can proceed with purchasing a Regius. They look great and sound great to me. How do you find yours? Is it awesome? Definitely not after a trebly shrill sound. I’m after a more rounded versatile tone. I’ve heard the BKP black dog and mule pickups are great. Depends on what you want I guess that is correct, Todd is subjective. I’m after pickups that work well clean and gain, and can bring out the aggression of the KSR Orthos 2. It’s on the Bogner Uberschall sound spectrum somewhere. I’m after versatility over ultradjents, although a bit more aggressive than average; )
I love my Regius, it is all I play anymore. I just don’t like the aftermaths so much. I can send you DI sound samples or something if you’d like to test it out with your amp. I have a Regius 7 though, not a 6

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Thanks Diagrammatiks, I’ve really got to get it right first time round if at all possible as mayones guitars aren’t cheap and the mrs is less than patient. Some are saying the aftermaths are too ice picky, do you find that to be the case? I’m after organic and natural with a hint at being more aggressive. War pigs sound good in clips, how do you find them? Do you have the Ragnaroks? I’ve heard they’re good, yet unsure on how versatile they are.

Aftermaths can be a bit dry. My ragnarocks are sitting in their box. Dunno where to put them yet.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
I love my Regius, it is all I play anymore. I just don’t like the aftermaths so much. I can send you DI sound samples or something if you’d like to test it out with your amp. I have a Regius 7 though, not a 6

Thanks Sezna sounds good. DI samples aren’t necessary, though I appreciate the offer. I’m interested in any clips you may have so I can get a general idea. Wavering between 6 and seven string, not sure which way I should go.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Aftermaths can be a bit dry. My ragnarocks are sitting in their box. Dunno where to put them yet.

Thanks for the info. I’m keen to hear what you think of the ragnaroks once you get them installed (hopefully in a mayo guitar or similar). Please keep me updated.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Snarpaasi. I’m not after monuments-tessaract tone. I agree, I’m after a lively open tone, not a lifeless sterile sound. I’m after a Mayones Core Classic Custom either 6 or 7 string, not 100% sure which one yet. Six string comes with JBs and seven string comes with BKP Juggernauts.

If you're looking for versatility, I'd also stay away from ceramic pickups in general. Juggs might be different but many have written here they don't like the cocked wah tone, see below for A-bomb.

Here's my take on bridge pickups what I've tried:
Black Dog: PAFish with aggressive attack, tad too much treble for my taste.
Rebel Yell: More versatile what 15k DC would propose. Articulate, similar elements as Black Dog but hotter, bit saturated that provides awesome singing lead tones. Low-end holds up well under plenty of gain. My go-to for 4 years now.
Warpig: Even hotter and darker, low-middle heavy which is pleasant for ear but might get mushy.
Alnico nailbomb: Honky mids causing wah effect I couldn't get rid of.
Aftermath: Like mentioned, sterile, I remember the attack was the only thing I liked about this pickup. One trick pony.
VHII: Rock pickup that has some single coil type of high end and hollowness.

Ragnarok is definitely interesting but haven't found them used yet.