Which plectrum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Jazz III XL is great for getting into the Jazz III type picks. i've moved on from those to the actual jazz III picks now though. i'm using the Ultex ones, and will be progressing to the carbon fibre ones. yum!

I got a pack of the carbon fibers. The material feels great but I just can't use the jazz IIIs. I'm hoping Dunlop will release standard sized picks in that material.

For now, I use a 1.0 black tortex with the tip cut to a point.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Lern2swim, I *think* that Dunlop has Tortex sharps if you wanna check em out...

awesomeargos

37 years on ax
Reaction score
I cut my own small picks out of large fender medium tortoise. I like a three point pick so if it breaks or slips i can turn it in any direction and make it through the tune. I compared picks with Joe Pass once and his was only a tiny bit smaller and ruffly the same shape. Although I don't usually use a pick. (as you can see on my youtube videos- Jason Argos & Paull McCandless) You can hear me change from fingers to pick in my solo on my tune 'However' on my website.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Eric Johnson Jazz III or Ultex Jazz III

Not meaning to toot my own horn, but I never see anyone else talking about the EJ picks. I can't stress enough how much everyone should try them out. It's like the good parts of every other jazz III pick rolled into one pick.

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
I used to always use the 1mm or 1.5mm Dunlop Tortex Standard.

Dunlop - TORTEX® STANDARD

Recently I started using Dunlop Jazz III as I'd heard they were awesome from people on this site. Took some getting used to as it felt tiny and awkward at first, but all I can say now is WOW. I feel like the playing is tidier and the pinch harmonics just fly out now :) I tried using one of my old picks, it felt huge. Like a paddle.

')