Which Recording Software do you use?

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been using Sonar for ages, and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like it because I'm familiar with it, or because it's actually better than the alternatives.

What does everyone prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I prefer Sonar (im using 6 PE currently) to record my guitar and vocals. I use it for my mixes too. It's good stuff. I use Cubase SX for drum sequencing and mapping. And mixing/EQing drums/samples. It's maps are very comprehensive. Adobe Audtition for wav editing and file formatting, as it takes just about all plugins.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The problem I'm having right now is that Sonar and Line 6's drivers don't jive very well at all under Vista, so I'm looking for a Sonar substitute. I have an older version of Cubase, but it doesn't even recognize the Toneport, which I use for noodling quick ideas when I'm too lazy (or it's too late at night) to mic up my cab.

Ryan

Reaction score
Yah believe it or not, my Cubase SX3 wont recognize the PODxt either. It'll only accept it as an emulated bus. Im pretty sure you can't run it into Cubase via USB for that reason. You might need to use it with MIDI cables and through a different input. :/

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's pretty craptastic. I can run the thing back out and through my MOTU, but it's redundant since one of the charms of the Line6 shit is that you control it with USB and it runs through the bus that way. :(

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I could never jive with Sonar... the interface just wasn't doing it for me. That, and it's PC only. :ew:

I do all my writing and whatnot in Cubase, as it's always had the best drum editing setup, and it's super easy to use.

I track full bands, though, in Digital Performer, as it's such a perfect front end for ProTools when someone else is going to mix it.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm a complete novice so don't kill me over it.

I obtained Cool Edit Pro from my friend Zach. He uses/used(?) it with his band but he doesn't have room for it now. We used it on material we wrote together before he started his new project.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently using Pro tools LE with a MBox for interface. I'm not digging it much since it's not user friendly and a pain in the ass more to me than pleasure recording. I'm considering a digital recorder or a Line 6 Toneport for now I just want something to put down something easily without taking up so many resources on my computer like Pro Tools does.

Shorty

Guitar Buying Frenzy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use FL Studio 7. Alot of people don't seem to like it but I find it just what I want & need :)

D

Desecrated

I use fl studio and wavelab.

when recording drums and vocals I use cubase, cause thats what they got in the studio I record in.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Pro Tools HD. I find the work flow much better than Sonar.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Adobe Audition 1.5. It works with the Line 6 PODXT Live very well (I don't have it anymore, but it did when I had it). And I use Fruity Loops 7 for drums tracks.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Mbox ProTools setup. Works fine, but have to have the right processor.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
I just use creative wave studio for recording the waves and editing etc. I use cool edit pro for mixing lol (yeh its old, but its good) and yeh. Bit of fruity loops. Though i do have sonar on my pc to install, haven't done it yet. I am very much considering one of the newer cubases aswell for DKFH :hbang:

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Cool Edit Pro 2 for recording guitar parts, for doing anything else (including sequencing) I use Reason 3.0, then I export as a .wav from there and open the final file in Cool Edit Pro again and mix it down as an mp3 in there.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Pro Tools LE 7.3 with a Digi002rack. Honestly it was the first DAW I've worked with and I find it very easy. I haven't felt limited by it's abilities yet, just mine.:noplease:

CGord

Reaction score
I use the Line6 Rifftracker setup; it's the L6 Guitar Port + RiffWorks recording software from Sonoma Wire Works. Great for a recording n00b like myself.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Logic Pro. It's a colossal app which I'm still learning new features of after about 4 years of use.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ableton Live on OS X, though to this point I've used it more to screw around than for actual recording. A friend of mine turned me on to it.

')