Which Recording Software do you use?

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I use the cakewalk guitar tracks pro... it's fairly easy to use, at least for me... although I can't mix for shit...

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Been using Logic 5.5, and now 5.5.1 for PC for a good few years now. Does exactly what i want it to, and it's pretty lightweight compared to more modern day programs. I'd like a few features of the newer mac only versions, but overall, it does exactly what i want it to and takes vst plug ins, so I'm happy!

Also, i find that after the initial learning curve (which isn't too bad) it's really intuitive

Oh, and any problems with vista will be down to drivers. If it's a 64bit version, then it's like xp64 where the pod-xt driver simply aren't supported, as i noticed this trying to put pod-xt stuff onto my friends x66 machine running xp64

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using Sonar 6 on the PC side and Logic on the Mac side. Digidesign/M-Audio/Avid has pissed me off enough in the past, that I'm trying to stay away from ProTools whenever possible.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone who uses Cubase/Nuendo and actually purchased it, raise your hand. :lol:

(FTR, I got mine via competitive upgrade)

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I use Tracktion, which in its current version (3) works with Vista. It's workflow is a lot easier than Sonar or Cubase (or pretty much everything) while still having an excellent feature set.

koma

Reaction score
Ableton Live for me too. Their session view is a great advantage if you like to work with loops (not sure it helps for metal/rock though). The VST implementation is also flawless. I'm still on XP so I don't know about Vista.
The workflow is damn good. Nearly everything is drag and drop. From what I've heard Sonar is much more complex, but as you're used to it...

RomeApartJizzy

I'm really a drummer
Reaction score
right now, im using:

MBox 2
Reason Drums 2.0
TonePort UX1 - no additional packs yet

For live drums, Im thining of going to either 8pre by MOTU or the FirePod by PreSonus... but very unsure which to get... much research to be done...

Jizzy

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
what is it with pro tools and metal bands anyways? it seems every local band i talk to drops the name like it's the best ... but they also in the same conversation can't tell me they've even heard of logic, cubase or sonar. just wondering.

i run sonar, i tried cubase for a few days and was like why am i learning how to do the same things over again. i too would love to here the opinions from guys who have used several of them. i think i went with sonar back when sonar 1 was new because the "made on windows for windows" approach made me feel better, as back then ... daw's were fragile ... dropouts almost seem like a thing of the past now ... i rather use something designed for my OS ... not ported over to it.

while i'm sure there are areas where each is better than the other, i think in the end its what you're used to using ... with VST support and rewire support matched with today's computing power ... you can't really go wrong i think.

I've been using Sonar for ages, and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like it because I'm familiar with it, or because it's actually better than the alternatives.

What does everyone prefer?

chris, how's vista working out for you DAW wise?

RomeApartJizzy

I'm really a drummer
Reaction score
I simply use ProTools because I am very comfortable with it and I have not had a reason to switch. It works perfectly on my Apples.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a Korg D-888 multitracker which I plan to use for tracking (as I can't be assed to lug my desktop to the studio and 8 simultaneous inputs = drum micing) then transferring them at home into Acid Pro 6.0, with audition 1.5 as a sound editor.

As a side not for anyone who isn't currently using a high end app - check out Acid 6. Although the series started as a mainly loop-based platform it is evolving into a more complete music production tool with each release + it retains all the uber-powerful loop-y stuff that made it popular in the first place :yesway:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Currently, Garageband 3.0. Which I really, really like despite it limitations, but I'll be upgrading to Digital Performer soon, so I can trade files with my synth player.

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
Logic represent. I'll be a Logic user until either I die, lose interest in audio, or they find a way to massively fuck it up.

subatomicsatan

Reaction score
Currently, Garageband 3.0. Which I really, really like despite it limitations, but I'll be upgrading to Digital Performer soon, so I can trade files with my synth player.

I understand the desire to be able to trade files transparently, but seriously consider Logic Pro, it can import DP files.

My guess is that going from GB3 to DP, you might find yourself lost. Maybe not, but I used DP for years and it never sat right with me. Don't get me wrong, major props to the MOTU folks (one of my friends used to be one of their senior programmers)--they played a major role in keeping music recording alive on macs, but Logic Pro just feels so very natural to me.

Your mileage may vary, but it is definitely worth checking out the demo. I mean, who knows, maybe your keyboard player will go elsewhere and then the major reason for going to DP will be gone.

Logic represent. I'll be a Logic user until either I die, lose interest in audio, or they find a way to massively fuck it up.

:hbang:

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
I use Pro Tracks Plus, came with my lexicon interface. I thought about upgrading but I finally figured out how to use it after 4 years:lol:

')