Which Schecter?

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm going to buy my first seven string in a few weeks. I am really into Schecters and was planning to buy the Damien Elite 7. But then i heard a demo of the C-7 Hellraiser and it does sound a little better, due to more expensive pickups i guess. But the thing is that the Hellraiser is €289 more here, which is alot of money. So my question is; which guitar should i get? Is the Hellraiser worth the money or should I be looking into a completely different guitar?

/Doug

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
c7 costs more. However I wouldn't say that 81-7/707 combo is that much cheaper than dual 707tw. You have a little more cosmetics with the C7, a few quality upgrades and more options with the electronics (two volumes and being able to coil tap). Beyond the coil tapping the 707tw is nearly identical to the 707 and the 81 has been a stable of metal for a reason.

Nothing wrong with the damien, and saved money can go towards other gear.

Reaction score
Importing from the states wouldn't be a good idea for me because the shipping is very expensive to Europe and it would be a pain if anything breaks and i have to ship it back.
And if the Damien isn't that different from the Hellraiser I think I'll get that one.

And now something offtopic. I just noticed the pickups are active. Can you please tell a newbie how you change it on a Schecter guitar? :)

*Edit I mean change the batteries, not change the pickups. And thanks for all the helpful answers :)

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I play a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and love it. I'd really recommend it.

Unplugged the hellraiser sounds very dark due to the mahogany body and neck while the Damien will sound slightly warmer due to the Maple neck. EMG 707s pair up well with the hellraiser since their very bright but I haven't tried a Damien through an amp yet so I can't comment on the EMG 81/87-7 combo. Their both going to be similar playability wise so you can't go wrong with either choice.

Kidneythief

Reaction score
I got a Damien too, and I can just recommend it, especially if you're new to 7s, and have big hands like I do. The pups are EMG passives, which sound pretty decent. Everyone was booing around saying they sound like trash, but I really like the tone they give (although I'm using them with headphones, so might be a difference if you plug it in).

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
*Edit I mean change the batteries, not change the pickups. And thanks for all the helpful answers :)
there is a little space on back for a 9 volt, easy to change as say batteries on, well anything with a battery compartment that you just press a tab, lift a lid and change batteries. Batteries will last you a while though.

kidneythief said:
The pups are EMG passives
he is looking at a damien elite, not the regular damien. Elites have actives stock (and a better inlay). When compared to the 81-7 or 707 the HZs do sound like rubbish IMHO, and more so if you throw 18 volts at the actives.

Reaction score
Was just looking at the ESP LTD MH-407. I've heard that ESP is quite similar to Schecter. Would you recommend this guitar instead of the Damien Elite 7? The Schecter's got 81-7/85-7 and the ESP got 81-7/707 pickups. So any opinions you can share with a newbie of which one is better? :)

*Sorry for manny and stupid questions, wanna be certain before i get the guitar :)

Reaction score
Was just looking at the ESP LTD MH-407. I've heard that ESP is quite similar to Schecter. Would you recommend this guitar instead of the Damien Elite 7? The Schecter's got 81-7/85-7 and the ESP got 81-7/707 pickups. So any opinions you can share with a newbie of which one is better? :)

*Sorry for manny and stupid questions, wanna be certain before i get the guitar :)

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
try playing both and see what you think.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
The hellraiser special is a really nice guitar. I had one for a week and reutrned it because I did not like the painted neck and thickness of that neck.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
I have both and both are great guitars. I actually like the 81-7/85-7 better than the 707tw's.

The main difference is playability in that the Damien is a bolt on and the Hellraiser is a set-neck and for that reason more comfortable. Plus the Hellraiser has a slightly wider cutaway.

But for about the same price as the Hellraiser you could get an ATX or Loomis. Which would be my recommendation.

Reaction score
And if a would be able to afford the Hellraiser, Loomis or the Blackjack (which i just found out that i might be) which one would you recommend? And what's the big difference between them?
I play a lot Dream Theater, if that helps you recommend one :)

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
I don't play my heallraiser as often as the others mainly becasue of the painted gloss neck which I don't like so much.

Deciding between the guitars Is probably more personal preference but I would say the Loomis. Reasons:
1. The extra weight of the Ash gives it a nice solid feel and richer, warmer tones IMO
2. I like the EMG 707's over Blackouts. So sue me.
3. Blackjack doesn't have a floyd (which may or may not be an issue for you)
4. I like the maple boards over the Ebony
5. Volume knob only. I have no need for any more than that.
6. The Vampire Satin Red on the Ash looks amazing. I really think gold hardware would have really made it but whatevs.

Otherwise they are similar guitars. Beautiful satin finish and great sound.

In that price range I would also check out the Chris Garza sig which I do not have and am wanting to check out myself being a schecter fanboy. It has a 60-7 in the bridge and I like the tele shape. Although he painted neck may ruin it for me.

')