Which TS suites my needs?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a relatively new player but i love prog metal. Im looking for a good djent tone or similar. Which ts would be best? The actual ts9, 808, or dx? Does it make too much of a difference? Btw i have an esp ltd mh 6 string basswood with passives and a line 6 spider iii but plan of the peavey vypr which has a 6505 model:metal:. i use a behringer um300 dist. pedal for now? Any help? Thanks and any TS related talk i'd love to hear

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
I'd spend the money on a different amp, instead. Boosting a Vypyr, let alone a Spider, is pointless.

Reaction score
I'd spend the money on a different amp, instead. Boosting a Vypyr, let alone a Spider, is pointless.
Ok, what would you recommend, with a practice amp budget. Obviously i can't get too far but what's a good starting point?

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score

Not to mention that Vypyrs have their own TS emulators as one of the onboard options, and Spiders above 75w have onboard overdrives as well.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Not to mention that Vypyrs have their own TS emulators as one of the onboard options, and Spiders above 75w have onboard overdrives as well.

This. A gate would be more important in this case since the TS emulator on the Vypyr adds a lot of noise.

However, I say if you have the means to save up for a decent tube head/cab rig or a POD/power amp/cab rig, then go that route. Better to spend more on gear once that'll last you than to spend less several times on gear that you'll keep replacing. Buy nice or buy twice :lol:

Splenetic

Reaction score
Which Vypyr are you gonna get? I have a Vypyr tube 120, and it's certainly not useless to boost it with an external TS. The onboard TS is terrible and reacts awfully with the always-on built in noise gate. (unless you reaaaaaally love digital artifacts, cause you get a fat load of it every time you palm mute.)

And yes, an external noise gate helps.... Get one that's tighter/faster than the on-board one so that the on-board one never even gets a chance to do it's thing.

I have my Zoom g5 in front of it.... The patch is just a noise gate and a TS, and even that thing kills any on-board setup on the Vypyr.

Honestly though, unless it's one of the two Vypyr tube models, and you can get it for a decent price, I wouldn't even bother with it. If you plan on gigging with it, just forget it completely... these things are infamously unreliable. I've had my Vypyr Tube for over 4 years now, so trust me when I say I know that ....er inside out.

Edit: Not to discredit it completely though...I have gotten some really killer tones out of it. But that was moreso once I changed the tubes and the speakers on it.

Last edited:

Promit

Reaction score
Ok, what would you recommend, with a practice amp budget. Obviously i can't get too far but what's a good starting point?
You weren't entirely clear on what your budget is, but assuming you're around $250 and not looking to gig, I'd start with a Blackstar HT-1 or used HT-5. If you can find a used two channel Jet City combo, that would be extremely awesome. Even the older single channel model is pretty good. The Randall RD1/5 are also great options -- the 5 can be had used under $300.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Am I the only one, that doesn't really think DJENT when talking about tubescreamer? I know it can be used as a boost too, but still... :) Maybe I'm just too old fashioned. I suggest a good noise gate too, something like ISP Decimator maybe?

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Am I the only one, that doesn't really think DJENT when talking about tubescreamer? I know it can be used as a boost too, but still... :) Maybe I'm just too old fashioned. I suggest a good noise gate too, something like ISP Decimator maybe?

Well a TS boost will tighten up the tone, and boost the mids so it makes sense to me for djent.

My personal favorite TS based pedal is the Way Huge Green Rhino.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Well a TS boost will tighten up the tone, and boost the mids so it makes sense to me for djent.

Yeah, I know... but somehow it's still funny for me. I bet the original designer didn't think of djent when creating the tube screamer. :) oh well, I don't care for djent anyways, so enough of my babbling and offtopic. Carry on :wavey:

Promit

Reaction score
Either way, the TS in metal type applications is for fine tuning. It's absolutely not the heart of the tone and there's simply no reason to drop a hundred bucks on one in conjunction with these toy amps. You're better off with a non-boosted real amp.

wakjob

Reaction score
Your Spider III should have a Meshuggah preset that gets pretty much what you're asking for.

If it's a smaller lower end Spider III without the presets, just use the Metal Red model.

Reaction score
Your Spider III should have a Meshuggah preset that gets pretty much what you're asking for.

If it's a smaller lower end Spider III without the presets, just use the Metal Red model.

Yea, i hate the distortion on line 6. it's way too much bass and extremely unnatural. i'm a fairly new player with only a 15 watt lol but i'm just curious. i us a behringer um300 pedal and it's ALOT better.

Reaction score
You weren't entirely clear on what your budget is, but assuming you're around $250 and not looking to gig, I'd start with a Blackstar HT-1 or used HT-5. If you can find a used two channel Jet City combo, that would be extremely awesome. Even the older single channel model is pretty good. The Randall RD1/5 are also great options -- the 5 can be had used under $300.

Yea i would want around 300 , that's perfect. I'm liking the blackstar for sure, thanks

Reaction score

i'm definitely going to sometime get a decimator. i have a good amount of feedback and noise anyway

Reaction score
Which Vypyr are you gonna get? I have a Vypyr tube 120, and it's certainly not useless to boost it with an external TS. The onboard TS is terrible and reacts awfully with the always-on built in noise gate. (unless you reaaaaaally love digital artifacts, cause you get a fat load of it every time you palm mute.)

And yes, an external noise gate helps.... Get one that's tighter/faster than the on-board one so that the on-board one never even gets a chance to do it's thing.

I have my Zoom g5 in front of it.... The patch is just a noise gate and a TS, and even that thing kills any on-board setup on the Vypyr.

Honestly though, unless it's one of the two Vypyr tube models, and you can get it for a decent price, I wouldn't even bother with it. If you plan on gigging with it, just forget it completely... these things are infamously unreliable. I've had my Vypyr Tube for over 4 years now, so trust me when I say I know that ....er inside out.

Edit: Not to discredit it completely though...I have gotten some really killer tones out of it. But that was moreso once I changed the tubes and the speakers on it.
i'm talking a super cheap 20 watt vypr vip 2

Latest posts

')