Which was the first guitar you ever wanted to acquire?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recall a shiny black Ibanez js100 ( with the silver pickup rings), i' ve seen downtown in a music store years ago... As a teen i couldn't afford to buy this (i was into synths back then & i had just acquired a Yamaha SY-55 with my savings). Then i got a cheap Jackson and later on got into PRS SE and funnily enough i never bought one. 😋

Do you remember your first guitar you ever admired & wanted to have?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Can't recall with a 100% certainty, but I remember desiring the UV7BK because of the "Lie" video from Dream Theater and Morbid Angel.
Also the Jackson RR1 because of this video (and other Metallica videos after diving into the rabbit hole):

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My very first visit to the local guitar shop, I remember a black Epiphone with white binding - man it looked good. But it was hella heavy and didn't sit in my lap that good.. Dumb me walked out with a Pacifica 112V (violin burst of course) and a Katana 50 - just because someone on reddit told me to :D I didn't even like the look of it..

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I remember seeing the RG2077XL in the catalogues in a shop in Spain and wanted one for ages. Finally bought a second hand one in 2020 (I think) and currently use it as one of my live guitars :tmm:

I've wanted a UV7BK for ages as well, probably also because of the Lie video, although that one is still on the bucket list!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
It was an Epiphone Flying V (Korina, I think).

I already played guitar but hadn't really developed a taste for any particular shape. I had my first electric guitar and was playing it through a Zoom 505-II straight into the PA at band rehearsal, and as you probably figured, it sounded like ass, so my aunt said she'd buy me a better effect device for my birthday. So I googled and found the V-amp 2, which I then went to test at a local music store (either Jam or Musikbörsen in Gothenburg), and there at the store that guitar just stared me down. So I used it to test the V-amp and was immediately sold on both. I knew the guitar wouldn't solve my rehearsal sound problem, and the guitar would've cost like 5x more than the V-amp, otherwise I would've probably called my aunt and said fuck the V-amp, I want this guitar instead.

And through that I got into V-shaped guitars in general. I still haven't acquired a Flying V but I will as soon as I get an excuse to "need" one.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Squier affinity strat in blue that I saw at the store. My parents got me a used red one instead. I’ve had red, black, white and and ice blue metallic since.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I wanna say a sunburst strat (got one when I was 17), a UV777bk (never got it...yet), and an explorer. Preferably white, but that hasn't happened yet (I have 2 others with one on the way). This was all in the mid 90's as my dreams of playing guitar and watching music videos began to coalesce.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
For me it was probably an Ibanez Jem7VPWH. I had a Squier Strat as my first guitar and I upgraded to an Epiphone LP simply because it was a bit more expensive, so surely it must have been thr better guitar.

Unfortunately, the Les Paul was just about everything I didn't want in a guitar, but as I knew so little about guitars at the time, I didn't know which guitar would really suit me. By the age of 14 or 15, I was really into Steve Vai and I knew that his Jem would play just how I wanted a guitar to feel and sounded amazing.

In the end, I bought an Ibanez K-7, brand new from now long-defunct theibanezstore.com for £850, reduced from £1099 in a sale. Those were the days. What a guitar that was. I plan to bring it back to life this year by putting the original pickups back in, giving it a really good clean and maybe replacing the gun metal hardware if I can't find a way to clean it up. The frets might need a crown and definitely a polish. I reckon I've watched enough Stew Mac videos that I can do it myself, though I may just pay a tech for the sake of convenience.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I don't know, we had a classical guitar at home (my dad's), but I just wanted an electric guitar to play punk and metal songs. Any would do, I didn't know anything about guitars. I was like 11 or 12 years old, and internet wasn't still a thing.

At first I ended up with a cheap Kramer knockoff which didn't last much (it was basically an unplayable piece of shit, just garbage, a scam) and a Squier strat after that. Modded, played, and beat that Squier for like 10 years, maybe more, until I eventually bought something nicer and more metal friendly (Schecter superstrat, I think).

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
It was the Japanese made 1983 Electra Phoenix ( X185 or X189?)

I had only held/ played really poor quality guitars in my younger years and I owned a crappy off-brand V at the time I was in jr high... my 2nd guitar. But one day I went over to my buddy's house and he had just gotten a new guitar that was to me, the absolute sweetest guitar in the world lol. I was a really shitty player at that point and knew little to nothing about guitars in general but when I saw this thing and then played it... holy hell, I thought that surely with an axe like this, I'd be able to to make albums, go on tours, and procure nothing but fortune and fame. It had a [Bend-master] trem ( never even used a trem prior to that), buttery smooth push/ pull speed knobs, and a black silky satin neck. And the color was like the brightest red I'd ever seen. Along with a dark fret-board and black hardware, this was truly my dream guitar. I wanted one SO bad.. never got one but every chance I got, I'd play his.

Musiscience

Reaction score
A silver Stratocaster, from a catalog my father brought back from a trade show around the time I was starting to take interest in guitar. The Strat was just the "Blink" guitar, before I knew anything about pickups and such.

There was also a two tone green "striped" guitar I saw on the wall at a music store in the 90s, when I was maybe 7-8. It really made an impression, but to this day, I still have no idea what it was... Probably some sort of green photo flame.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
eclipse-i-full.jpeg
qfbgz4hkvumfv1mh3vqi.jpg

Props if you get the connection lol

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Purple Flying V

When they released one this year I thought about getting one just to appease my 7-year-old self who had never even picked up a guitar

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slashs Les Paul from November Rain when I was 5.
Or
James white Explorer from One.
Don't know which one was first.
All Strats/Strat derivates from there on.

Necky379

Reaction score
The red Gibson SG in my father’s Musician Friend catalog circa 1997-ish. I ended up buying a brown one having my first job and graduating in 2006.

Latest posts

')