Which was the first guitar you ever wanted to acquire?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
1379-C_Grover_Jackson_Kelly_Custom_J300882_2_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

I was young, I wanted to be different to everyone else with a strat, and wanted a Jackson Kelly as my first electric guitar. I think it was an MIJ performer model that I wanted but my mum couldn't afford at the time.

I waited a year or so until I got my first guitar, an Ibanez Radius knockoff but eventually got my first RG and ran with that since.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
I’ve always been helpless against the lure of “more, different”. Got my first guitar, a red plywood strat-knockoff at 12, and my older sister’s influence of Zeppelin and GnR had me pining for a Les Paul. Eventually saved enough to get an Epi standard, which saw me through a lot of early gigs and my first 2 bands. Then the discovery of Van Halen, Satriani and Vai convinced me that a locking tremolo had to be in my future. Once I’d seen the neglected Kramer Focus1000 in a local pawnshop, I was dead set on acquiring it as well.
Fast forward a few years, and I traded a vast chunk of my collected gear towards a Koa Mockingbird that I bonded with for hours in a store in my college-town. That one was stolen, but I still have photos from the night I brought it home, me asleep on my drummer’s couch, mockingbird held tight in my arms.

These days old Ibanez Sabres are my go-to, but I still get pangs for wierd stuff every time there’s a day-in-a-week.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I'd always seen Les Pauls in music videos and stuff but Matt Heafy rocking it was the coolest thing ever.

I remember as a kid getting my aunt to take me to a music store and I asked if they had a "Les Paul" and the rep laughed at me and said "You better be a professional musician if you want one of those." and refused to even get up from behind the counter to help me. Broke my heart.

But my first unobtainable guitar I wanted was the Ibanez RG20063, which 15 years later I was able to purchase!

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Toss-up between the Ibanez ICJ100WZ (J sig in flake green with stars) and the Jackson Mustaine KV1 (natural korina). Not sure I’d want either now, but they’re still sick guitars.

Necky379

Reaction score
First guitar I ever wanted was an Ibanez SZ series when I was 11 because that's what Barry Stock from Three Days Grace used. I got one a couple weeks ago.
I forgot I had one of these for a couple years, I should’ve kept that one that was a great guitar. I love the usual Ibanez fare but those SZ’s were pretty much the polar opposite of an RG, really cool guitars.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Funny....mine was a BC Rich Warlock and I had a Platinum and an NJ back in high school. Then I saw Morbid Angel in Boston on the Covenant tour and he had a PWH which I believe went to Rutan shortly after. I just had to have one of those. :lol:

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
There are two for me.

One's a Washburn WI64 that I saw in a music video back in the last 90s and wanted immediately after playing one at a Guitar Center. Not the most expensive guitar, but the $800 or so it cost back at that time might as well have been $10,000 as poor as I was haha. I ended up getting one second-hand recently as a gift from my mother, who never forgot I always wanted one but never ended up finding one I liked.

The other is an Ibanez UV777 - black with the mirror pickguard. Still haven't gotten one. Can't afford a $2k guitar at the moment. Or in recent memory. Maybe next year...

Dayn

Reaction score
Gretsch White Falcon. Wanted it because early on I got heavily into The Living End.

I no longer want it, but I won't object if someone bought one for me.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
First band I was in played some originals and some metallica covers, I played lead and didn't like Kirk or James guitars.

A sound I had always liked (not necessarily the songs) was Mark Tremonti from Creed so looked to the 2002 SE model and was so blown away when I played it.
243.jpg

Still I needed a floating bridge and couldn't afford it so ended up buying an Ashton AEX250. Pickups were junk, replaced with Fretco aussie ones and the Truss rod popped out on more than one occasion. Later found out it was made from MDF.

5056.jpg

Still curious about a USA tremonti.... definitely want to try it again.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
I remember 3

Jackson Warrior: OMG LOOK AT THAT IT MUST BE CRAZY HEAVY
Dean Razorback: OMG LOOK AT THAT IT MUST BE EVEN HEAVIER
Ibanez Iceman: I was a SOAD fanboy

Thankfully, my friends convinced me of not buying the first two (Still think Icemans are incredible) I was a skinny looking nerdy kid so I would have looked funny with those.

Ended up with a Dean Vendetta 4FR (cheap, solid superstrat with a flame quilt maple veneer for those not familiar with the model) which was the subtlest guitar I could get into. A year later my tastes completely shifted to superstrats and sold the Dean to buy an RGA321 (probably one of the few good decisions I took while being 17)

I still want a damn Iceman though

tedtan

Reaction score
The first guitars I was really aware of wanting, at roughly the same time, were:

Jackson Randy Rhoads V
BC Rich Warlock
Jackson Soloist
Ibanez RG 770

The only one I ended up buying is the Soloist, though I do have Ibanez S. Maybe I need to get busy buying guitars…

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I remember 3

Thankfully, my friends convinced me of not buying the first two (Still think Icemans are incredible) I was a skinny looking nerdy kid so I would have looked funny with those.

Ended up with a Dean Vendetta 4FR (cheap, solid superstrat with a flame quilt maple veneer for those not familiar with the model) which was the subtlest guitar I could get into. A year later my tastes completely shifted to superstrats and sold the Dean to buy an RGA321 (probably one of the few good decisions I took while being 17)

Icemans (Icemen?) are cool. I remember seeing the J Yuenger Iceman in Guitar World advert. That thing was beyond sick. And also pretty much unobtanium, even back then.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
The first guitar I ever GAS'ed for was an SG when I was 11. Probably the reason why I love the ESP Viper shape so much.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
I remember 3

Ibanez just redid the IC400, so maybe that's the universe telling you to buy one? :lol:

Just try it before you buy it. They look crazy cool and the necks are so nice imo, but I ended up selling the last one I had (years ago) because it had so much neck dive it drove me up the wall.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
PRSes always looked cool in magazine ads back in the day, as did Levinson Blades (the RH4 I think)

These PRS's were highly admirable but back in the day no storekeeper would let us as teens to even touch these, at least this was the case here in Athens more or less...

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I wanted a sunburst LP with gold hardware, gross. I also thought the BC Rich Bich was hella cool. Double gross.

Latest posts

')