Which was the first guitar you ever wanted to acquire?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
I can't remember if it was a Gretsch White Falcon, or a custom ESP Explorer with weeby graphics.

I have neither, I should clarify. ...Though after all this time, I'd gladly take either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sixdayoldstring

Reaction score
I was totally smitten by a Fender Stratocaster with a sunburst finish that I saw in a local shop. I was just starting out and could only dream of owning it. Ended up with a basic beginner's guitar, but that Stratocaster was always on my mind.

Edika

Reaction score
We only had initially MTV to see some video clips and in my country there weren't too many lives from big metal bands. Most people were into the classic shapes and stuff but I was clueless.

When I started playing guitar I didn't have much knowledge or understanding of guitar brands, construction and necks. I did start playing when I was in Uni, so quite late and by then internet was getting more prevalent and could find a bit more info online. But I would mainly look for info from my best mate that had a big collection of CD's and posters. I also had started buying Heavy Metal magazines and would see some ads.

After all this prologue, the first guitar I really wanted was a Jackson Soloist. I was a big into Megadeth back then, partly due to a couple of friends, and my best mate was a big Dave Mustaine fan. He wanted the Jackson Flying V but I wasn't a big fan of the extreme shapes and liked super straps. The Jackson Soloist was super sexy and I remember lusting over one. They where prohebitely expensive in my country and really hard to find. No second hand market and people would ask new prices if you could find someone selling. Buying online was not as easy as today, or from other countries.

I did get a decent MIJ Squier as my first guitar and them when I had some money I was looking for my first "good" guitar. I was looking for an SL2 but I didn't search hard enough and was also considering other avenues like a PRS CU24. I finally snagged my Carvin DC400T as my first good guitar as ot was super versatile. In the end though, I managed to get a SL2 a few years back and still have it as its an awesome guitar. But I had already been playing for several years and gone through and still have some higher end guitars so it wasn't such a huge wow factor as if it had been my first "good" guitar.

CWill91x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Epiphone Les Paul black beauty with the 3 pickups. My friend had one and he put SD invaders in the bridge and neck and took out the middle pickup, and put a rebel flag decal over the top. And I remember being so irrationally angry because it thought it was the most beautiful guitar ever and it was ruined by that. I never did end up getting a Les Paul until the one in my avatar because soon after I discovered schecter and it was all wraps from there. Obsessed with schecter for so many years

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Year was 1990.I was 14-15 and was studying classical guitar for 2 years, but already on a path to The Dark Side, mainly because of Metallica and Megadeth. My philosophy at the time was: "if you play heavy metal your guitar should be black. Period.Unless you are James Hetfield, than your guitar could be white as well....Enter Michael Bolton..."Wait what?" Haha, just bear with me. At that time they released his song :"How can we be lovers, if we can't be friends". The video was even cheesier that the title. So the guitar player had this bright pink Jackson Soloist(not that I knew at the time what Soloist is) , total opposite of the Dave's and Marty's Jackson's. It was so in your face, I loved it immediately. The sad reality back then was, that the communist regime in my country had just fallen, the economy had collapsed and there was hyper inflation and unemployment. A Jackson guitar was the equivalent of a 2 years salary. So no Jackson for me.
TLDR: Pink Jackson Soloist, more than manly enough.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I think my first guitar love affair was, like most teen fixations, with a celebrity: Jimmy Page's cherry sunburst 59 Les Paul.

However, soon after, my view of guitars changed quite radically: for me, they are simply tools. So long as they sound great and play great, I don't really care.

I think much of that opinion was shaped by my friendship with Jack Golder who, through his Romford workshop, gave me access to a whole range of surplus guitar parts from his stock, which included parts for Burns, Shergold and many of the other guitar firms he was involved with, both as contractor and builder. This enabled a young teenager to build some weird guitars, including a Shergold-necked BC Rich copy (I made the body from scratch from Iroko), a semi-acoustic, a 12 string set-neck, all by the time I was 18.

I still build guitars for my own use today and I have Jack to thank for putting up with a nerdy teenager bothering him every so often and inspiring confidence in me.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I started playing in around 2000 to 2001 but didn't really care about gear for a few years. Fast forward to I think 2006 or so, and I remember just drooling over a Guitar Center catalogue that featured a Les Paul Faded Mahogany. It was a Gibbers I could afford! Sure it had the dot inlays but duuuude it was a GIBSON. I remember my rich friends mom bought him the SG version and I was so jealous, so I got to work and told myself I was gonna get that Gibbers.

Never did. Fast forward 20 years or so and the guitarist in my band plays an Explorer from this same faded series, and it just brings back so much nostalgia.

Maybe I'll pick one up.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
The first guitar I truly dreamed about was my JEM and I still say to this day I willed that guitar into existence. After seeing Vai I fell in love with the JEM7V and would literally stare at the Ibanez catalog at the kitchen table for hours. My dad even joked “Do you think staring at it that long will make it appear in front of you?”

Ha.

Fast forward a year, dad meets some chick on the internet and despite the fact she’s married with children, they decide it’s a good idea for us to move in with her family under false pretenses. 15 year old me says “WTF? No, that’s a good way to get shot” to which they replied “We’ll buy you the JEM if you move to NYC”

15-year old moral sell-out RevDrucifer-
IMG_9980.jpeg

')