Which wood would you pick, and why?

• Thread starter WarriorOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
alder vs. mahogany. i'm building a custom 7-string with a bolt-on maple/wenge 5-piece neck with an ebony fingerboard and 24 stainless steel frets. 26.5" scale with a floyd rose. probably something like a Duncan '59-7 in the neck, and the closest i can get to the sound of a Joe Barden HB in the bridge (i.e., super clear, punchy/attacky without being harsh, tight, and ballsy). my guitars that i really like the Bardens in are quite different from each other (one has a maple neck and fingerboard with an alder body, the other has a basswood body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard....both are 25.5" scale).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
both would be good choices with that setup, but if youre looking for super clear/punchy/tight, the answer is clear: alder. just put in a pickup with some balls in it, and youl'll be in good shape.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Ari, i think that you have to do the body with the 2 woods. Make it from mahogany, and then a top of alder, to cut the bassy sound of the hogany, maybe a 1cm alder top it's fine for that.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Ari, i think that you have to do the body with the 2 woods. Make it from mahogany, and then a top of alder, to cut the bassy sound of the hogany, maybe a 1cm alder top it's fine for that.

someone else has actually suggested that to me before....i don't think it's really necessary, though, and probably too much effort. this is my first build, anyway. i'm planning on getting a pre-made body blank.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
So, do what you want about the wood selection. I like mahogany for the bodies, it's deeper than alder IMHO.

I'm new on luthier things too, but it's a nice thing, it's so relaxing.

If you have any question, feel free to PM me.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go alder. If you want a clear, punchy and tight sound alder does that way better than mahogany. Mahogany, to my ears, emphasizes a really thick midrange. It's great if you thick sound. But for tight, clear and punchy go with alder.

What bridge pickups are you considering?

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go alder. If you want a clear, punchy and tight sound alder does that way better than mahogany. Mahogany, to my ears, emphasizes a really thick midrange. It's great if you thick sound. But for tight, clear and punchy go with alder.

What bridge pickups are you considering?

i'm trying to find a temporary solution until Joe Barden makes a 7-string pickup......reading about the Q-Tuners....could be interesting :idea:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Mahogany Think TOOL Crunch 10,000 days
Alder think Steve Vai Crunch

I personally take Mahogany over Alder. If too Midrangey for you add Maple top.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm trying to find a temporary solution until Joe Barden makes a 7-string pickup......reading about the Q-Tuners....could be interesting :idea:

If your budget permits something like Bare Knuckles Pickups or some other small pickups maker might be really helpful.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
i should add, i play in A standard through an Engl Savage 120 through a 4x12 with two Hellatone 60Ls and two CL80s, and i'm primarily a rhythm player. think Nocturnal Rites/Persuader/Nevermore-ish tones

edit: also, i love the guitar sound on Alive in Athens

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
well, you seriously want Alder, imho alder trumps mahogany anyday. now if youre gonna be playin rhythm, then id still go with the alder, but scoop a little bit of your mids out to get a tight sounding crunch (no bass thud in your amp). Alder is a high mids wood, and Basswood a little warmer sounding, and Mahogany on a 7 isnt that great unless your using like a DiMarzio Blaze in the bridge....

just my two cents

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Body - Basswood
Neck - maple
Fretboard - Rosewood

Toget the best sustaine ^)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
i should add, i play in A standard through an Engl Savage 120 through a 4x12 with two Hellatone 60Ls and two CL80s, and i'm primarily a rhythm player. think Nocturnal Rites/Persuader/Nevermore-ish tones

edit: also, i love the guitar sound on Alive in Athens

That rig sounds killer! :drool:

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Mahogany is what i would suggest with your rig and type of playing

that's what i was originally thinking, but one of my favorite-sounding guitars has an alder body.....i have this feeling that i'd probably be happy either way, but i'm not sure which is better for me. i keep kinda going back and forth.

')