Which would sound fuller?

• Thread starter incinerated_guitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have two options at the moment for my next amp. One option is going with an engl e530 through a roctron velocity 300. The other, is my friends 5150 which hes wanting to sell for $500. So which do you guys think will have that fuller, meaner, punchier sound? I really like the idea of the rack system, but I want to still have the tube sound I love so much. I hear that you cant tell the difference between the roctron and a tube amp, but im not too sure on it. Any help apprectiated. Thanks!!!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
Not sure which would sound fuller since I have no experience with the e530 into a rocktron velocity 300 but a 5150 for $500 is a deal that would be hard to pass up. 5150's are pretty aggressive and can sound pretty tight/punchy with just about any green (tube screamer style) pedal out front and a good closed back cab.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Well I have an avatar 412 with eminence legends in it. I hear it's a pretty good match with the 5150. It seems everytime I see someone with an engl they have v30s. I go for a tone similar to the black dahlia murder with less gain if that's any help

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
Well if I remember correctly the black dahila murder used 5150III on Deflorate and 5150 on Noctural (mixed with something but I can't remember). I would go for the 5150 especially at that price. I also would say try it and see!

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I have owned a 6505 before, and still own an Engl 530. The 5150 would be *fuller*-sounding, but the Engl is a bit more precise, I guess. Just different sounds, but both are equally comfortable in a metal setting, and both have WAY too much gain.

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
"Full" is definitely not how I would describe the e530, especially with solid state amplifiers. I would get the 5150.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Would you say the peavey is meaner? I like a very mean, crunchy, tight, full sound. I do eq on the dark side, somewhat. Judging from everyone else it seems the way to go is the peavey

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
The Eminence Legends also lack the punch the e530 needs. e530 is great with some setups, but would be underwhelming with the Velocity/Legend combination.

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
Would you say the peavey is meaner? I like a very mean, crunchy, tight, full sound. I do eq on the dark side, somewhat. Judging from everyone else it seems the way to go is the peavey

The 5150 is the most common amplifier used in modern metal. It's plenty mean and easy to dial great sounds with. The Legend speakers also sound good with it because they seem to tame some of the raw sound the 5150 has.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
If you should need any more input - I second everyone saying "5150". Your needs are petty much reading its spec sheet, no shit.

Reaction score
The 5150 hands down. You could even get rid of the ENGL :lol:

But if you want to keep things down weight/space wise then the rocktron. Think about the ret00bing costs too!

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I closed the deal on the 5150 :hbang: As soon as I sell my head and my old cab im picking it up. Then ill be doing some cosmetic work, electric blue python tolex and painting the knobs white ;)

')