Which would you rather?

• Thread starter nickintonate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickintonate

Reaction score
For playing death metal but with clarity and definition, which would you rather:
1) mesa amp (Mark IV/Rectifier) with a vader 4x12

OR

2) peavey 6505 with mesa 4x12

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
I think both would do the job just fine but like everyone uses the #2 rig so I'd go with number 1 personally

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I see that as three options. A recto and a Mark IV are very different.

Also, as an owner of two Mark series amps, I have to vote for that. A Mark IV can do just about any genre you throw at it. The lead channel is magic, the cleans are very good, and while some people don't like the crunch/R2 on it, I've found some good uses for it (with the right boost, it gets pretty heavy).

A Recto can also do a lot. I like the sound of Rectos, but "clarity and definition" aren't the first things I think of when I consider those amps. With a recto, you're going to want to keep your gain low and use a boost in order to "get there", IMO.

I tend to think of 6505/5150 style amps as having one or two things they do really well, but not super versatile other than that. They do "the metal sound"... and I've never really heard them used in other contexts.

Realistically, you can probably get what you want from either one depending on pedals, pickups, how you dial it in, your playing style, etc., but my vote goes to the Mark, as it always does. :lol:

nickintonate

Reaction score
thats what i thought. the mark really interests me the only thing is with a vader cab im really wondering how it sounds. i have a vader cab currently with a 6505 but no local dealer carry the mark IV....

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I love Marks, but they are not the amp that I think of when it comes to Death Metal. They are great for Thrash and Groove, but the Rectifier and the 6505 will slay through the Vader.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
the mark really interests me [...] but no local dealer carry the mark IV....

The IV is discontinued, so you're not going to find it in store. The new JP sig is probably close to the IV than the V is, but they're all a bit different.

ArtDecade makes a valid point that a Mark isn't really "a death metal amp". It can certainly work (I use my IV in a death metal band, and it works for me- but the other guitarist has a Recto- the two of them compliment each other pretty well... arguably we don't have the typical death metal sound)- but "death metal" covers a pretty wide umbrella of guitar sounds. It's worth looking at bands that have a similar sound and trying to figure out what they use.

I don't have very specific comments about Vader cabs- I've never owned one, but I've used them at shows through gear-sharing situations, and was never disappointed.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
6505. It not as multi-talented as a Mesa but it has that dirty, thumping low-mid grind that you just don't get anywhere else. It's an industry standard piece for a reason.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I'd go for a triple recto with the Vader cab but, with G12k-100's.

Jaek-Chi

Reaction score
Explaining the differences might help you make the best decision.

People are commenting '6505 and Vader' because of this (at least this was the case for me). The 6505 is a pretty crushing metal amp. It's sharp, gritty, and has a lot of gain and attack in it's tone. The V30's is the mesa 4x12 are more punchy and have more of a 'sizzle'. The Eminence speakers in the Vader are a little more open, more low end, and slightly smoother. The Vader is going to help give the already sharp and sizzly tone of the 6505 a more massive and full tone. It's an absolutely incredible cab. But, that's not to say the Mesa cab doesn't sound huge (it's a common cab for a reason, the same goes with the 6505 being a common amp choice for metal)

I've had my 6505's through V30 cabs and a Vader cab. Both will be amazing but i'd also go the Vader cab. Unfortunately i have little experience with the Mesa heads so my odd time playing them is certainly not enough to give helpful advice.

Hope this helps you be able to work out what you will prefer.

I'd also suggest the following (unsure if you've already bought heads or whatever else). Framus Cobra goes amazing through the Vader cab (definitely not through the Mesa cab though. Way too fizzy and just doesn't go well with V30's in my opinion). As does an ENGL Savage.

RaceU4her

Reaction score
i have a 6505+ and a vader. i cant stand the 6505+ but other people sound good through them so i dont know?? a mark i wouldnt use for death metal

Bearitone

Reaction score
I think Job For a Cowboy has used the 6505 on all of their albums. They're about as deathmetal as all get out and their tone works really well for that style.

If all you're going to do is death metal, maybe the 6505 is for you. Its also WAY cheaper than any Recto or Mark series amp.

Get a used USA made 6505 (Not the new chinese made ones) and a used Mesa Cab.