Which YouTube Fitness or Workout channels do you follow or recommend

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I have followed a few for a long time like Jeff at AthleanX, Mike Thurston, Ryan Humiston, Jeff Nippard, Simeon Panda & Ulisses Jnr (really wish both Simeon and Ulisses would post more often!)
I also follow a couple of female fitness trainers like Meg at MegSquats and Savannah Prez which are really cool for technique tweeks and lower body workout variations
But recently I have got really in watching Jonni Shreve, Josh Bailey, Ashton Hall who are really good, but inparticular I have been enjoying and putting in to practice alot from Dr Mike at Renaissance Periodization, aside from him being proper deadpan funny, his advice is great and alot of the others I have mentioned above regularly reference him in their videos

Cpl of Dr Mike videos feat Jeff Nippard

So who is your go to fitness channel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
My wife pays for a Bodi subscription so that's what I use. There are lots of good lifting programs in there. Mainly using dumb bells and ground based body weight exercises right now but I wanna get a bar and some plates for dead lifts and hang cleans and stuff.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
I try to avoid the rabbit hole of fitness channels because I spend too much time on YouTube already when I should be spending more time with my family, just like veji, but this guy's stuff is my idea of great fitness exercises:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Oh boy. I used to enjoy Elliott Hulse's content when I was bodybuilding before I blew a vertebrae out. Now I tend to enjoy 3 of 7 who's a good ol' boy former SEAL and has more broad content with less science and nutritional crap. I enjoy the determination philosophies they have since I prefer to "self" motivate. Any run of the mill jackwagon can look up exercises and proper form, or diet and nutrition. It's basic fitness 101 to have functional insight of such things and beyond that good to make sure your hard work goes as far as possible, but not critical. Motivation is critical, or even learning how to set goals and meet them when you have zero motivation. Can't get that out of a can or by watching a bunch of neo-crossfit-olympic-hot-zumba instruction.

Honestly some of those pro lifter YTers don't have much to offer in comparison other than diet and physique advice. Your personal standards and how hard you push them are really what matters, nobody is able to do that for you. You ain't need no creatine, NO2, Indian goatweed, and all this other crap either. Most of those supplements eventually start to take away more than they ever gave you. Everyone seems to think they will find something that makes fitness suck less, they won't. It is supposed to suck. If it doesn't suck you are wasting your time. Cultivating a mentality of perseverance and nailing proper form on your own is worth a hundred fitness coaches with all the supplements in the world. A lot of our points of failure in our lives aren't because things became unbearable, but because at that moment we chose to not bear it any longer. Everyone is in charge of their own limits whether they want to admit it or not, all you need is some motivation and form practice. This philosophy of extreme responsibility and accountability is really invaluable if you want to make shit happen doing anything.

I think a lot of folks spend too much time getting their heads all the way into things because they want to be efficient and that's awesome, be smart about things and make it fun when you can, but at the end of the day fitness is not complicated. It's stupid simple. I don't need a 20 minute video on somatotypes and anterior flexion isolations to know pushing three hundo with your neck is a bad fucking idea, I knew it. I have never understood how immersed in talking about exercise folks can be. It's not a real sport like racing or hockey, there's no reactive game plan. You set goals and you either meet them or you don't, it's entirely up to you. That's what's great about it. Hitching your wagon to all these other things and notions just makes everything unnecessarily complicated imo. All you need for fitness is food, water, and a place to sleep. There are so many different excuses, aids, machines, and people out there who say they can make it all better. They can't. It sucks intrinsically and if it doesn't you're wasting your time or using crutches which in fact do not help you train your baseline performance very much at all. Learn to embrace the suck and things get really easy really quickly.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Honestly some of those pro lifter YTers don't have much to offer in comparison other than diet and physique advice. Your personal standards and how hard you push them are really what matters, nobody is able to do that for you. You ain't need no creatine, NO2, Indian goatweed, and all this other crap either. Most of those supplements eventually start to take away more than they ever gave you. Everyone seems to think they will find something that makes fitness suck less, they won't. It is supposed to suck. If it doesn't suck you are wasting your time. Cultivating a mentality of perseverance and nailing proper form on your own is worth a hundred fitness coaches with all the supplements in the world. A lot of our points of failure in our lives aren't because things became unbearable, but because at that moment we chose to not bear it any longer. Everyone is in charge of their own limits whether they want to admit it or not, all you need is some motivation and form practice. This philosophy of extreme responsibility and accountability is really invaluable if you want to make shit happen doing anything.

That's why I watch workout more along the lines of I tried to work out like Ronnie Coleman for a day, or I did Tom Platz's leg day. It's entertainment, not a secret hack to get a 5% growth on you spinal erectors or some shit.

I know a lot of people talk about how working out helps with depression, but you don't know how many more reps I've gotten of telling myself you are a fucking failure, you can't even get one more rep you little bitch.

soliloquy

Reaction score
That's why I watch workout more along the lines of I tried to work out like Ronnie Coleman for a day, or I did Tom Platz's leg day. It's entertainment, not a secret hack to get a 5% growth on you spinal erectors or some shit.

I know a lot of people talk about how working out helps with depression, but you don't know how many more reps I've gotten of telling myself you are a fucking failure, you can't even get one more rep you little bitch.

something i've been doing with my gym is leaving random sticky notes around. Something along the lines of "whats 100 more calories?" or "you know you have 1 more mile in you!"
or "what, thats it? come on! you got 3 more reps in that set, so do it!"

though i'm leaving them anonymously, it seems to be helping cheering folks up.

if you're not doing it, then try listening to music? and instead of counting reps, see if you can last till the end of the solo/riff/song and keep changing things up?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
if you're not doing it, then try listening to music? and instead of counting reps, see if you can last till the end of the solo/riff/song and keep changing things up?

I've tried it, I get too distracted by the music. According to all the gym bros I've worked with, I'm a psychopath, but I work out with ear plugs in, no music, no preworkout, just channel all my bad thoughts into lifting.

I realize I"m working out as a way of self harm or some shit, but I've also gone from being a complete lard ass to having a lean muscle mass of like ~220-230 pounds. I've always joked about having the body of a god because I"m fat and strong like fat Thor (gotta love that dysmorphia), but every now and then you hang out with the boys and your start talking about how strong you are.

I just work out at home because I'm not a people person, and people like to film their lifts, I don't want to accidentally fuck up you pr by distracting you. Best I can do as far as a PR is I've squat/deadlift (I don't know the right corresponding lift) a 55 gallon oil drum onto a stack of pallets. I know I can bearhug a roughly 500 pound oil drum and squat it and I'll curl my son that weights around 120 pounds when I'm taking him to bed because he thinks it's fucking hilarious.

I want to join a gym, but I realize I'm freakishly strong, but I don't want people to be uncomfortable next to me. I've been there, wind up next to the dude that can life the full stack of weights on the machine. Are there any tips to help them work out better?

soliloquy

Reaction score
I've tried it, I get too distracted by the music. According to all the gym bros I've worked with, I'm a psychopath, but I work out with ear plugs in, no music, no preworkout, just channel all my bad thoughts into lifting.

I realize I"m working out as a way of self harm or some shit, but I've also gone from being a complete lard ass to having a lean muscle mass of like ~220-230 pounds. I've always joked about having the body of a god because I"m fat and strong like fat Thor (gotta love that dysmorphia), but every now and then you hang out with the boys and your start talking about how strong you are.

I just work out at home because I'm not a people person, and people like to film their lifts, I don't want to accidentally fuck up you pr by distracting you. Best I can do as far as a PR is I've squat/deadlift (I don't know the right corresponding lift) a 55 gallon oil drum onto a stack of pallets. I know I can bearhug a roughly 500 pound oil drum and squat it and I'll curl my son that weights around 120 pounds when I'm taking him to bed because he thinks it's fucking hilarious.

I want to join a gym, but I realize I'm freakishly strong, but I don't want people to be uncomfortable next to me. I've been there, wind up next to the dude that can life the full stack of weights on the machine. Are there any tips to help them work out better?

find a non-strongman related gym?

generally speaking, i prefer going to gyms that are catering to EVERYONE and not just one type of demographic. The ones that are specifically catering to people who are strongman kind of start irritating me as thats when i start feeling out of place. But if a man is benching 500lbs right next to a guy curling 15lbs, and they are all comfy/fine with it, i feel more comfortable in that environment.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
find a non-strongman related gym?

generally speaking, i prefer going to gyms that are catering to EVERYONE and not just one type of demographic. The ones that are specifically catering to people who are strongman kind of start irritating me as thats when i start feeling out of place. But if a man is benching 500lbs right next to a guy curling 15lbs, and they are all comfy/fine with it, i feel more comfortable in that environment.

It seems like all I have around me is either is either very specific gyms, like strongman/bodybuilding type gyms, boujie rich people gyms and shit like planet fitness. But I have like the opposite of the anxiety people have about going to gym for the first time. I have anxiety about being strong. I don't want to be next to the dude who can only curl 15 pounds lifting the whole stack of weights on a machine, because I've been that dude that can only curl 15 pounds before. That shit intimidated the hell out of me and made me quit going to the gym and I don't want to do that to people.

And after typing that out, I realize why body builders have such bad body dysmorphia.

soliloquy

Reaction score
It seems like all I have around me is either is either very specific gyms, like strongman/bodybuilding type gyms, boujie rich people gyms and shit like planet fitness. But I have like the opposite of the anxiety people have about going to gym for the first time. I have anxiety about being strong. I don't want to be next to the dude who can only curl 15 pounds lifting the whole stack of weights on a machine, because I've been that dude that can only curl 15 pounds before. That shit intimidated the hell out of me and made me quit going to the gym and I don't want to do that to people.

And after typing that out, I realize why body builders have such bad body dysmorphia.

just a suggestion:

be better? lift them up? encourage them? Not necessarily to correct their form, or tell them how they are doing wrong, but just encouragement.

case in point, the gym I go to (Anytime Fitness), a while ago, I entered and saw a lady not dressed in proper gym attire being on the treadmill. she was there before I got there. She was there AFTER I left the gym. That isn't too surprising. What was surprising is that she had a stroller behind her, and a baby in there too.

I used to see her randomly through the gym, and the same stroller and baby as well. I kept to myself, as shes not bothering me, and its actually encouraging to see her there pushing herself. She'd sweat like crazy, where as I would barely break a sweat. That encouraged me to push myself further. Regardless, i ignored her.

Little while later, I saw her get approached by 2 people, one a REALLY jacked man, and a few days later, a really in-shape woman. Both said the same thing to her: "You are the reason we keep pushing ourselves in the gym. Thank you for motivating me/us"

Likewise, you see the scrawny kid struggling with 10s? next time you see them pushing 30's, give them props. Maybe something along the lines of 'in just a short time, you tripled what you were pushing! thats incredible, keep at it!!!' or if you see someone and you underestimated their strength, but were surprised at what they are doing, again, give them props for underestimating them. Its little things that go a LONG way and help others too.

though having anxiety for being strong...thats a different cluster of things that I have no advice/opinion on :(

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I like Mind Pump, caveman training, and Mark Wildman. I’ve taken a break from all of this content over the past few months as it feels repetitive and wasn’t benefiting my life at the time. I own several of the MAPS programs(mind pump) and they are pretty good. I like Wildman because he goes deep on kettlebells, clubs, and maces. Caveman hooked me up with a ton of free programs during 2020 and it is all very solid foundational kb programming.

The reason I tend to like these channels is they are more focused on being the best version of yourself as opposed to show ready and on secret creatine.

For body weight work, red delta project has some great videos.

Not a video, but convict conditioning is pretty awesome.

Latest posts