(WHITE FLAG) Anopportunity to make the hello kitty 8 string a reality :)

• Thread starter Spondus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spondus

Reaction score
i've been thinking of building a guitar for a while now and this fairly low tech competition may be the incentive i need to actually built a hello kitty 8 string:
The plan is as follows:

• Maple neck with maple board and pink inlays
  • pine body? im trying to get in the spirit of things and use something cheap, want to see how it works out too
  • will make my pickups myself too until i actually have to plug it in and force myself to buy new ones
  • scratch plate (hello kitty's face of course) made out of plastic sheet, sprayed using stencils and then an ass load of clear coat applied
  • gloss pink body (for the lulz)
  • will probably make my own bridge too but buy saddles
let me know what you guys think :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
DO IT!! :metal:

You'll have to make the inlays something cool though. Like cat ears?

Spondus

Reaction score
im afraid that i lack teh skillz to be doing any complicated inlays, would be amusing though

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Do they sell maple at home depot/lowes? I looked all over and couldn't find it, I really want some, itd be ideal for my fretboard.

Spondus

Reaction score
im afraid that B&Q (the uk's) equivalent, sells no suitable wood of any kind other than doors because the population of the uk are in general too stupid to know what to do with it.

Mazzakazza

Reaction score
Dude, B&Q stock wood. At least, around me they do. Tbh, I've never really looked for sheets of timber, but if I can't get it at B&Q, I'll go to a timber yard and get something cheap, to try to follow the flow.

I might enter this comp, since summer is gonna be loooooong.

I'll also be doing a 'real' build though, 'cos I've had my eye on a bit of mahogany from an old table that someone probably doesn't need anymore. Though even that's cheaping out a bit ;)

EDIT: Lol, I totally forgot to mention to the OP: DO IT.

Seriously, if you pull it off, I will love and adore you.

oscillat0r

threadkiller
Reaction score
i've been thinking of building a guitar for a while now and this fairly low tech competition may be the incentive i need to actually built a hello kitty 8 string:

Batz Maru is way more metal :metal:

batzmaru2.jpg

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do they sell maple at home depot/lowes? I looked all over and couldn't find it, I really want some, itd be ideal for my fretboard.

The one near me carries maple in the same section where they have the mahogany and poplar boards.

Reaction score
My Lowes only has Poplar and Oak.... have seen neither in Home Depot, but I also haven't really looked...prices are much higher.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
The one near me carries maple in the same section where they have the mahogany and poplar boards.

Yeah my home depot only has oak, poplar, and pine(and maybe some other stuff not for guitar use)... I'm gonna have to check Lowes, and possibly look closer at Home Depot.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
Yeah my home depot only has oak, poplar, and pine(and maybe some other stuff not for guitar use)... I'm gonna have to check Lowes, and possibly look closer at Home Depot.

The Home Depot by my place has Maple. I had to hunt it down though. Also, they only had strips, but if you're going to make a laminated neck it should work fine (for my build anyway)

guitarjerry

Reaction score
You guys could try aspen, if they have it. They have it at my Lowe's. I think I read somewhere it is an "alternative tonewood" to basswood. I may use it if I decide to build one.

Spondus

Reaction score
thats true! you did make me thing of it, credit where credits due i suppose :) you had a mockup quite a while ago if i remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
')