Whitechapel Guitar/Bass Rig

• Thread starter AlexWadeWC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Nice! I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like this, and thanx for sharing too!

This Is Exile has been in rotation on me and my buddy's radio show for awhile now. The coordination of THREE guitars like that just atounds me. Great stuff, and keep up the steller work!

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Who made the case that shares the bass and guitar?

And how much was it?

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Who made the case that shares the bass and guitar?

And how much was it?

get off my case our of philadelphia, and it was like $600 something shipped to Tennessee, pretty killer deal in my opinion. It is sturdy as hell, got to pick whatever color I wanted and all the specs were completely custom to my decision! :hbang:

their email is getoffmycaseco@comcast.net, though its faster to reach them at 7247589612

Arsis

Serious ....age
Reaction score
I can recall someone using a Jackson or two. What happened to that?
Also what is the big difference between the Maxon od808 and od-9?
Thanks!

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
get off my case our of philadelphia, and it was like $600 something shipped to Tennessee, pretty killer deal in my opinion. It is sturdy as hell, got to pick whatever color I wanted and all the specs were completely custom to my decision! :hbang:

their email is getoffmycaseco@comcast.net, though its faster to reach them at 7247589612

Wow that is CHEAP! You guys aren't sponsored by them are ya haah.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Wow that is CHEAP! You guys aren't sponsored by them are ya haah.

No we aren't, they really do just have killer prices haha

Where did you get your pedal drawer?

The pedal shelf is SKB, just search SKB velcro shelf in google and you'll find it

I can recall someone using a Jackson or two. What happened to that?
Also what is the big difference between the Maxon od808 and od-9?
Thanks!

We used Jackson for a while until our ESPs came in, we used the Christian Wolbers sig models. They were pretty sick, extremely light guitars, overall we just liked playing/representing ESP more.

And i've never tried an OD-808, just the OD-9, I love my OD-9 though! Sorry I couldnt be more help!

The Breakdown

Sean What I Adore
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the od-9 is true bypass, the 808 is not. That's all I can think of as a difference.

Ya'll should check out the Maxon VOP-9

It's the OD 820pro in a different casing.

Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro | Vintage Series Effects
Maxon VOP-9 Vintage Overdrive Pro | Nine Series Effects

(it has a voltage doubler. It has a switch that u can go from 9v to 18v)

With the added clean boost built in, it's a winner. I've been a big Tube Screamer fan for a long time, and I think this is the warmest/balsiest they've come up with yet.

Check out the links regardless. It's got some great info on the different circuits and chips used for different tube screamers.

:hbang:

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the od-9 is true bypass, the 808 is not. That's all I can think of as a difference.

Ya'll should check out the Maxon VOP-9

It's the OD 820pro in a different casing.

Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro | Vintage Series Effects
Maxon VOP-9 Vintage Overdrive Pro | Nine Series Effects

(it has a voltage doubler. It has a switch that u can go from 9v to 18v)

With the added clean boost built in, it's a winner. I've been a big Tube Screamer fan for a long time, and I think this is the warmest/balsiest they've come up with yet.

Check out the links regardless. It's got some great info on the different circuits and chips used for different tube screamers.

:hbang:

That's sick man, have you ever tried an OD-9? Can you compare it to that?

I've REALLLYY wanted to try the ROD880, the REAL tubescreamer. It has a 12AY7EH preamp tube in it with Bass, Mid Boost, and Treble controls.

It looks so dope, i'm just lazy and haven't gotten around to getting one to try it haha.

Maxon ROD880 Real Overdrive | Real Tube Series Effects

The Breakdown

Sean What I Adore
Reaction score
That's sick man, have you ever tried an OD-9? Can you compare it to that?

I've REALLLYY wanted to try the ROD880, the REAL tubescreamer. It has a 12AY7EH preamp tube in it with Bass, Mid Boost, and Treble controls.

It looks so dope, i'm just lazy and haven't gotten around to getting one to try it haha.

Maxon ROD880 Real Overdrive | Real Tube Series Effects

Yah brother, the OD-9 is sick. It just doesnt have the 18 volt doubling circuit. That alone gives u alot more headroom and detail.

The OD-9 is a little more smooth. I love the OD-9, I've used one for about 7 months (had an old modded ts9 also)

I just love the VOP-9 because it has it's own entirely clean boost.
It has a little more balls and gain. (more low end than 808).

I played through alot of them,and fell in love with the vop-9. u can really tweak it out, and u have alot to work with. It's my fav. tube screamer that I've come across yet. The only thing i've noticed is it's definitely a little more noisy than the other's. Nothing an ISP Decimator wont fix completely.

So basically compared to the vop-9 the OD-9 is a little bit more smooth, and amiable.

I currently have a VOP-9 going with a Keeley Katana, and a isp decimator g. I got rid of my BBE sonic stomp, boosta grande... no need for other clean boosts, etc.

The ROD-880 looks sick! I've never played on one. I always see a few on ebay here and there but they're too expensive at the moment for me to drop that much when i'm pretty happy at the moment with my sound. Although it would only make it that much better. I'd love to play on one.

Maxon ROD-880: Harmony Central User Reviews

the reviews seem pretty damn good.

http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Katana

and youtube the keeley katana. this thing actuaully has sick gain along with the tube screamer..it's nuts. it's volume knob goes to 20. It's got a clean boost as well. Even though alot of people know about this and Keeley, this is one of my secret weapons. I've not come across another one..at least other bands I've played with to date.

But dude, you/whitechapel have the sickest sound ever. I never get enough every time I go to a show. Last one I saw was house of blues in cleveland, ohio on your tour with TAS, unearth...

Speaking of which, Trevor needs to answer his damn phone ;)

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Yah brother, the OD-9 is sick. It just doesnt have the 18 volt doubling circuit. That alone gives u alot more headroom and detail.

The OD-9 is a little more smooth. I love the OD-9, I've used one for about 7 months (had an old modded ts9 also)

I just love the VOP-9 because it has it's own entirely clean boost.
It has a little more balls and gain. (more low end than 808).

I played through alot of them,and fell in love with the vop-9. u can really tweak it out, and u have alot to work with. It's my fav. tube screamer that I've come across yet. The only thing i've noticed is it's definitely a little more noisy than the other's. Nothing an ISP Decimator wont fix completely.

So basically compared to the vop-9 the OD-9 is a little bit more smooth, and amiable.

I currently have a VOP-9 going with a Keeley Katana, and a isp decimator g. I got rid of my BBE sonic stomp, boosta grande... no need for other clean boosts, etc.

The ROD-880 looks sick! I've never played on one. I always see a few on ebay here and there but they're too expensive at the moment for me to drop that much when i'm pretty happy at the moment with my sound. Although it would only make it that much better. I'd love to play on one.

Maxon ROD-880: Harmony Central User Reviews

the reviews seem pretty damn good.

Tone Factor - Dedicated to bringing you the finest in hand-made, boutique effects pedals, Guitars, amplifiers and other accessories

and youtube the keeley katana. this thing actuaully has sick gain along with the tube screamer..it's nuts. it's volume knob goes to 20. It's got a clean boost as well. Even though alot of people know about this and Keeley, this is one of my secret weapons. I've not come across another one..at least other bands I've played with to date.

But dude, you/whitechapel have the sickest sound ever. I never get enough every time I go to a show. Last one I saw was house of blues in cleveland, ohio on your tour with TAS, unearth...

Speaking of which, Trevor needs to answer his damn phone ;)

Damn that's some good info, thanks dude!

What's up with this Keeley Katana? Is it just a volume boost more or less? What the difference between using this and say just turning your amp up?

And isn't using this along WITH a tubescreamer just ridiculously noisy?

You definitely have me intrigued hahaha

The Breakdown

Sean What I Adore
Reaction score
Damn that's some good info, thanks dude!

What's up with this Keeley Katana? Is it just a volume boost more or less? What the difference between using this and say just turning your amp up?

And isn't using this along WITH a tubescreamer just ridiculously noisy?

You definitely have me intrigued hahaha

check out http://www.musicgearsource.com/katana.html

"The Keeley Katana is a cutting pre-amp. It delivers a wealth of tone and clean boosting. Want to keep your original tone with just a dash of sparkle and shimmer added, then have the control to boost it to any volume? This is it. The Katana is a fat, harmonically rich boost. Use it all the time to push your amp harder, or as an occasional boost to cut through the mix."

It's the most amazing clean boost I've ever heard. It adds a shit ton of grit and nastiness too if u want. Makes everything more full and rich. It adds absolutely NO noise what-so-ever! True bypass, all metal film resistors and caps for a low noise design. It's like the extra OD that you've always wanted, but super smooth. It really will only add to what you have.

I'd highly suggest looking at some youtube.com video's of the katana. Maybe I'll make a video sometime soon since most of the examples used are not METAL.

"
Katana Boost
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

Description
As far as guitar clean boosts go, the Katana is KING TONE. It's the pedal to have for the finishing touch on your tone. Want a mirror image of your tone, only louder? This is it. The Katana is also a fat, harmonically rich boost, just pull out on the volume knob and stretch your imagination with overdriven tone! You can keep it on all the time to push your amp harder, or as an occasional boost to cut through the mix.

~~~~~

Obsessed or Compelled with the Fattest, Fullest Drive?!?!? Well, Before other people started using Blue LEDs and non-diode clipping stages, there was the TMB and Katana.... Cascading FET stages do the tube-amp-thing like nothing else!

~~~~

Two modes, Pure Clean and High Gain

* With the speedo knob Pushed In, think of it as a volume control that goes to 20.

** With the speedo knob Pulled Out, it's a cutting boost with a bit of gain. Not quite an overdrive, just overdriven tube grit and edge to your tone.

Katana Boost - Pure FET TONE, Large Supply Voltage, Very tube-like yet punchy and studio flat in frequency response.

~~~~

WHERE TO USE THE KATANA BOOST?!?!

The Katana Boost can be used as the first effect in your chain or last effect, and anywhere in between...it depends on what you want to do. If you want to push your distortion pedal (for more distortion) or other pedals harder (great for many chorus and other time-based modulation effects), then use the Katana right before those effects. If you want to have the same sound only louder or with some tube amp break-up, then use it as the last effect in your setup.

Reaction score
the only thing I didn't like about the 5150 III when I had it was that the fx loop was kinda dirty sounding.... you could tell there was a difference in gain between when it was on and when it was off... other than that it's a great amp though

Arsis

Serious ....age
Reaction score
Maybe you can help me. I just bought a DSL 50, I'm still trying to master some tone. I have not hooked my eq into for it is not in my possession at this time (it's cheap anyway). The amp is quite bassy, dark, muddy and flubby, If i turn the bass done its too bright. What would you prefer me put in front in order to keep most of the tonal qualities but tighten and clear it up a little? I like to get a tight little chug going every now and then.
Thanks!

EDIT: I also have mahogany body with an x2n in the bridge.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Maybe you can help me. I just bought a DSL 50, I'm still trying to master some tone. I have not hooked my eq into for it is not in my possession at this time (it's cheap anyway). The amp is quite bassy, dark, muddy and flubby, If i turn the bass done its too bright. What would you prefer me put in front in order to keep most of the tonal qualities but tighten and clear it up a little? I like to get a tight little chug going every now and then.
Thanks!

EDIT: I also have mahogany body with an x2n in the bridge.

Well I've never really been a Marshall fan myself, but I would start by trying to get the tightest, clearest tone possible from just the heads EQ first. Then if that doesn't work, try putting your EQ pedal (or rackmount, whatever it is) in the effects loop of the head. Putting the EQ in the effects loop can drastically shape the tone of your sound, ALOT more than putting the EQ out front.

And if that doesn't work, try picking up a tubescreamer, I think that might be what you're looking for. I use a Maxon OD-9, though if you're on a budget and don't like ordering stuff online (you can't buy Maxon at guitar center) you can get an Ibanez TS-9 at Guitar Center for $100. Gain at 0, tone at 12:00 and Level to taste (pushed as much as it can before you get too much feedback) and the tubescreamer will help cut a SLIGHT bit of the bass, clear up the muddiness and give your tone more of a razor sharp attack to it.

Hope this helps man.

Latest posts

')