Who are some good custom luthiers in the USA for 6 strings and beyond ?

alilcluless

Reaction score
So I have a lot of questions, I would like to have a custom guitar built and I would like recommendations..

Has anyone dealt with some custom guitar luthiers?

Anyone dealt with the big american names in this manner? Fender and Gibson? What was process?

Has anyone bought from strickly7? bernie rico jr? what was the price? was the quality good?

Are there any other high quality guitar luthiers in the USA? :scratch:

Would it be better to go to say Japanese ESP/schecter/ibanez USA custom shop?

Im gonna post this in the 7 string section too. But I am concerned with 6 to 8 string guitars, the shape would not be a standard shape... I love the way the Washburn HM-20 and HM-5V / Ibanez XV500 / Hondo H1 / Ran Obscura sig model body style, which is not common and most custom guitar companies make modified strat bodies.

What matters to me is quality and reasonable price. Your feedback is much appreciated! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alilcluless

Reaction score
So I have a lot of questions, I would like to have a custom guitar built and I would like recommendations..

Has anyone dealt with some custom guitar luthiers?

Anyone dealt with the big american names in this manner? Fender and Gibson? What was process?

Has anyone bought from strickly7? bernie rico jr? what was the price? was the quality good?

Are there any other high quality guitar luthiers in the USA? :scratch:

Would it be better to go to say Japanese ESP/schecter/ibanez USA custom shop?

Im gonna posted this in the 6 string section as well, as I am concerned with 6 to 8 string guitars, the shape would not be a standard shape... I love the way the Washburn HM-20 and HM-5V / Ibanez XV500 / Hondo H1 / Ran Obscura sig model body style, which is not common and most custom guitar companies make modified strat bodies.

What matters to me is quality and reasonable price. Your feedback is much appreciated! :yesway:

otisct20

Reaction score
Ibanez Custom shop is NOT open to the public. Nme brand custom shops will run you more than most small luthiers will.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quality/Workmanship
Cost
Long Time
Lack of Communication

Choose 2 out of the factors above that you really want - the remaining will be what you will have to settle for/agree too due to your choices.

Also please search the forum.

Reaction score
Quality/Workmanship
Cost
Long Time
Lack of Communication

Choose 2 out of the factors above that you really want - the remaining will be what you will have to settle for/agree too due to your choices.

Also please search the forum.

Unfortunately this is the reality of things. However, there do seem to be some new guys that *look* good but they haven't been around long and that means substancial risk for you.

What do you define as a reasonable price by the way OP? For a good guitar with decent features and a good build time you are probably looking at around $3000 or more.

There are really only two luthiers I would deal with below that price point and they are (in no particular order):

Egan Custom Guitars - Not US made but he is based out of Canada, I have played his stuff and it is really, really good. He taught at a luthiery school here too so he knows his stuff for sure. Super nice guy too!

Oakland Axe Factory - Tom drinkwater runs this, he puts out a good product at some insanely good prices. He is US based but is fairly busy right now, I would suggest emailing him to see if he has space for a build in the future.

Good luck :)

alilcluless

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is the reality of things. However, there do seem to be some new guys that *look* good but they haven't been around long and that means substancial risk for you.

What do you define as a reasonable price by the way OP? For a good guitar with decent features and a good build time you are probably looking at around $3000 or more.

There are really only two luthiers I would deal with below that price point and they are (in no particular order):

Egan Custom Guitars - Not US made but he is based out of Canada, I have played his stuff and it is really, really good. He taught at a luthiery school here too so he knows his stuff for sure. Super nice guy too!

Oakland Axe Factory - Tom drinkwater runs this, he puts out a good product at some insanely good prices. He is US based but is fairly busy right now, I would suggest emailing him to see if he has space for a build in the future.

Good luck :)

Thank you:yesway: and yes, I have been looking and getting some quotes. I feel above 4000 is pushing it.

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
Ibanez doesn't do orders for common peasants like us, ESP has a lengthy wait list on them.

Bernie Rico Jr. Is having issues to put it mildly, look up its thread and you'll see why.

You might try Carvin, Black Cat, Skervensen or Siggery.

Najka

Reaction score
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BlackWaterGuitars?fref=ts

Black Water Guitar Company. Painless process, very good build quality. He is a newer Luthier but for a first custom guitar experiance would be great. Sometimes custom shop luthiers are very hard to communicate with, and will not get back to you for a week or two. I have had some cases where it was a month before I herd back. At Black Water he updates the FaceBook page regulalry and send pictures of the process frequently. Also very responsive.

alilcluless

Reaction score
Ibanez doesn't do orders for common peasants like us, ESP has a lengthy wait list on them.

Bernie Rico Jr. Is having issues to put it mildly, look up its thread and you'll see why.

You might try Carvin, Black Cat, Skervensen or Siggery.

Thank you!

DTSH

Reaction score
The best move of all possible moves is to wait until someone gets a guitar with similar specs made, gets sick of it and sells it.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Here's what you do,
Sell your soul to satan for wicked guitar skills.
Play guitar really good.
Get endoresed by Ibanez.
Get LACS.
Rub it in my face.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Acacia or Etherial are big ones I haven't seen suggested yet. The woods Acacia uses are just stunning, and Etherial... well Etherial is Etherial. Sarah Longfield's sig is his best work IMO (you'll know what I mean when you see them)

There's also Patrick Huhschmid, not an American, but his guitars are IMHO the holy grail. But if you request a kind of wood that's from an endangered species and he can't find it salvaged he won't do it. He's very eco friendly, but of course there's nothing wrong with that.