Who are the most significant people EVER? Research based primarily on Wikipedia?!?

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Yahoo said:
Who are the most significant people EVER?
Leaders of men, great thinkers, tyrants - these are the figures who have shaped our world. But whose contribution is the most significant? In the book 'Who’s Bigger? Where Historical Figures Really Rank', authors Steven Skiena and Charles War have ordered the most influential based primarily on Wikipedia pages - looking at the length of individual entries, how many times an entry has been viewed, how many sites link to an entry and how rich an entry's references section is. Other data sources were used, such as how often the person appears in books published each year. Women are noticeably absent from this list. Find out who the most significant person in the world is (in descending order) ...

For the lazy:
10: Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
9: Alexander the Great (356 - 323 BC)
8: Aristotle (384 - 322 BC)
7: Adolf Hitler
6: George Washington (1732 - 1799)
5: Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
4: The Prophet Mohammed (c. 570-632)
3: William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)
2: Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)
1: Jesus

Being based primarily on Wikipedia page views it must be true! :lol:

Seriously I think personally the inclusion of 3 US Statesmen & the only entrant in the top ten who isn't a "Western" icon is Mohammed, shows that the way the information was gathered and researched skews the results so badly and makes this a bit of a farce of a list, I am in no way belittling the achievements of Washington or Jefferson (or anyone on the list) but, is Washington really more significant historically than Alexander the Great because more people have looked him up on Wikipedia? And no Issac Newton in the top ten? No Einstein? No Constantine the Great - without who Jesus would not be number 1!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Muzakman

Reaction score
I think it's really hard to boil down 10 of the most important people in the world. What about:
Edison
Martin Luther King
Einstein
Stephen Hawking
Colonel Sanders!

Either way I don't know if I completely agree with that list. Not that mine is any better haha but it's arguable for sure!

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I think it's really hard to boil down 10 of the most important people in the world. What about:
Edison
Martin Luther King
Einstein
Stephen Hawking
Colonel Sanders!

Either way I don't know if I completely agree with that list. Not that mine is any better haha but it's arguable for sure!

Haha! Can't beat the Colonels secret reciept! LOL!

Its totally subjective of course who would be in the top ten because its such an undefinable definition, significance.... Cool to see who people think shodul be on there but also mean the thread to point out that correlating resources for research from Wikipedia is pretty stupid! LOL!

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Three presidents, three conquerors, two religious figures, a philosopher, and a writer. I see no scientists. Where are Newton, Da Vinci, Galilei, Turing, Einstein, and their peers?

It appears their metric shows how flawed our education system is, because that undoubtedly skews the results to US Presidents, Hitler, and Shakespeare.

the fuhrer

Reaction score
Tesla
Martin Luther King
Einstein
Stephen Hawking
Colonel Sanders!

Fixed that for you:yesway:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Yeah - screw the wiki, I'm waiting on the Ultimate Guitar list of the most significant people EVER? Then we'll know!! :lol:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
No love for Issac Newton? You know... The guy who invented calculus? And... you know did some other stuff to.

PAZ

Reaction score
Nikola Tesla should be replacing Edison. That dude was a wizard!

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
Seriously? Where's Nikola Tesla.
He lapped circles around Edison. Pure genius

ninja'd :(

')