Who are the small shop builders/luthiers making custom 7, 8 string headless axes in North America?

• Thread starter JDB123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
Oh i did just get a quote from Vigilant Guitars who are also BC based. A decent spec 7 string came in at $2500CAD which, to be honest makes me a little skeptical as that seems a very low price for a custom build, though admittedly a bit more limited in the custom options compared to others mentioned.

EDIT* - Whoops my mistake, they dont have a headless model but leaving it here for others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh i did just get a quote from Vigilant Guitars who are also BC based. A decent spec 7 string came in at $2500CAD which, to be honest makes me a little skeptical as that seems a very low price for a custom build, though admittedly a bit more limited in the custom options compared to others mentioned.

EDIT* - Whoops my mistake, they dont have a headless model but leaving it here for others.

Interesting... 2500 CAD is what I paid for my Ibanez AZ brand new with a discount on it. A couple of their models look interesting. Will have to look more into them.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Xolo guitars out of Mexico? Seems pretty cool.

There's also Rocca guitars from. Texas. Their Rocca 2 looks bonkers.

I'll have to look more into those Xolo guitars, really interesting body shapes and styles there.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Lowest risk would be Kiesel.
Except it is not that difficult to encounter a smaller build shop that can easily avoid the maplegate debacle and anything remotely of the sort with their offerings and how they deal with anything that doesn't go according to plan.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Except it is not that difficult to encounter a smaller build shop that can easily avoid the maplegate debacle and anything remotely of the sort with their offerings and how they deal with anything that doesn't go according to plan.

Scary to think that's still probably the lowest risk option for under $4k and ~6 months. :lol:

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am extremely fond of my headful Jayemar 8, haven't seen/played their headless (but this was next candidate)

Last edited:

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am extremely fond of my headful Jayemar 8, haven't seen/played their headless (but this was next candidate)

Wow these are very cool. Wacky and out there, but pretty neat. Will have to look around their site more. Thanks for the rec!

RRD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Xolo guitars out of Mexico? Seems pretty cool.

There's also Rocca guitars from. Texas. Their Rocca 2 looks bonkers.

I'll have to look more into those Xolo guitars, really interesting body shapes and styles there.

I'm actually 2 months into an order with Xolo. They've been around for a couple of years, looks to have delivered several guitars in the US and several in MX, attended NAMM this year and other guitar shows in MX.

I was quoted 6-8 months. Solid communication, very responsive and he's happy to talk through your build. I've already received photos of the body and neck wood. Still sourcing exact top and fretboard.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
noone mention Christopher Woods Guitars yet?

Kwert

Reaction score
Funny because I messaged @L3G10N awhile back asking about them because they seem rad and a pretty good deal for what you can get , and he has 3 builds with Charbonneau , and his whole band I believe plays them too . The shop that gets them in seem to sell them out pretty quickly . They had a 7 string in a black burst / green that I’m sad I couldn’t snag …

Edit : a fellow Vancouverite ! You going to Invent Animate ?

I owned a Charbonneau 7 I bought back in 2020 that initially I had a massive honeymoon phase for, but the more time I spent with it the more I noticed a ton of issues, one of which was actually noticeable in photos of the guitar before it shipped to me (a completely stripped neck bolt).

PH Charbonneau was a nice dude to deal with but I'd never buy another instrument from Charbonneau Guitars again, and you can get muuuuuch better specs and quality for that money.

EDIT: Back on track, I saw Reichardt Guitars reviewed by ArnoldPlaysGuitar, and they look pretty rad to me.

')