Who are the small shop builders/luthiers making custom 7, 8 string headless axes in North America?

• Thread starter JDB123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. After ordering a custom 6 string build (not a metal guitar) with a luthier in Canada earlier in the year, I think I've caught the bug for small shop/one man builds from now on.

Who are the reputable and interesting builders here in North America making 7/8/extended range guitars? My recent custom 6 string is a headless model, and I'm looking to keep that up for ergonomic and instrument weight reasons. Plus guitars with headstocks start to look weird after you have one without one for awhile, lol.

I feel like I remember coming across a company recently out of Kentucky or something, feels like their name alluded to chickens or clucking or something. They were making cool, futuristic/forward-thinking ERG stuff. Either way let me know what y'all think, would love to learn more about folks making these cool instruments closer to home.

Thanks in advance! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. After ordering a custom 6 string build (not a metal guitar) with a luthier in Canada earlier in the year, I think I've caught the bug for small shop/one man builds from now on.

Who are the reputable and interesting builders here in North America making 7/8/extended range guitars? My recent custom 6 string is a headless model, and I'm looking to keep that up for ergonomic and instrument weight reasons. Plus guitars with headstocks start to look weird after you have one without one for awhile, lol.

I feel like I remember coming across a company recently out of Kentucky or something, feels like their name alluded to chickens or clucking or something. They were making cool, futuristic/forward-thinking ERG stuff. Either way let me know what y'all think, would love to learn more about folks making these cool instruments closer to home.

oh you mean Mother Plucker guitars.
Also check out Prophecy Instruments. He's doing some really neat stuff.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lowest risk would be Kiesel. They're not exactly a one man operation, but they're still relatively small.

I think you're thinking of Motherplucker Guitars, not sure how reliable they are, but they're definitely small.

Really there are a lot out there now, do you have a price and time frame in mind?

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
oh you mean Mother Plucker guitars.
Also check out Prophecy Instruments. He's doing some really neat stuff.
That's the one. How could I forget such a memorable name?
On the Prophecy Inst. site right now, definitely dig that Orca model. Cool indeed. Thanks for the rec!

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Lowest risk would be Kiesel. They're not exactly a one man operation, but they're still relatively small.

I think you're thinking of Motherplucker Guitars, not sure how reliable they are, but they're definitely small.

Really there are a lot out there now, do you have a price and time frame in mind?
I always go back and forth on Kiesel, will probably give one a try someday.

Good recall on MP, their prices and instruments seem to be pretty strong. Really dig the modern design stuff they're doing.

And pricing-wise would like to stay in the sub-$4k range. ~6-7 months seems to be the sweet spot for how long I can stand the anticipation.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Todd Keehn has some really cool builds, if you like exotic raw woods. A friend of mine had a few built back in 2018/19 and they were very very nice.

tkinstruments.com

This was one of his:
17fe38af0.jpg

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Todd Keehn has some really cool builds, if you like exotic raw woods. A friend of mine had a few built back in 2018/19 and they were very very nice.

tkinstruments.com
These are indeed pretty cool, been aware of TK's guitars for awhile now. Not exactly my cup of tea but the option's there.

Ross82

Reaction score
Check out Aviator Custom Guitars. They’re not NA based but I’ve imported one to Canada with no issues and it is a fucking great guitar. Full custom job from top to bottom and they have a configurator style website so you can concept your ideas. I have a 6 string and plan to order a 7 when funds allow.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Charbonneau Guitars from Quebec does it all but I can’t recall seeing a headless model .

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have never played them, but these come to mind because I've been listening to the Don't Fret podcast:

AKM Guitarworks (@Purelojik on here)
Mobius Guitars (he's on here but dunno his username)

I don't know that they'd do headless models, but Mobius does supposedly focus on ergonomics, so that may fit the bill. No clue what prices are for these guys.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always go back and forth on Kiesel, will probably give one a try someday.

Good recall on MP, their prices and instruments seem to be pretty strong. Really dig the modern design stuff they're doing.

And pricing-wise would like to stay in the sub-$4k range. ~6-7 months seems to be the sweet spot for how long I can stand the anticipation.

Yeah, budget is fine, but that time frame is pretty tight for most of the builders worth ordering from. :2c:

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Charbonneau's are...not very good.
Funny because I messaged @L3G10N awhile back asking about them because they seem rad and a pretty good deal for what you can get , and he has 3 builds with Charbonneau , and his whole band I believe plays them too . The shop that gets them in seem to sell them out pretty quickly . They had a 7 string in a black burst / green that I’m sad I couldn’t snag …

Edit : a fellow Vancouverite ! You going to Invent Animate ?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone ever play Barlow? They make some eye catching pieces.

Gorgeous instruments, and the guy gets a hold of some of the most stunning cuts of wood. But all that comes at a cost $$$$$. Comes at PRS Private Stock prices. Not sure about quality though, never played one.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Xolo guitars out of Mexico? Seems pretty cool.

There's also Rocca guitars from. Texas. Their Rocca 2 looks bonkers.

Last edited:

Jackillin

In ignorant love with ERG
Reaction score
Iv
Hey y'all,

Enjoy heard nothing but good things about Balaguer. I guess their not so small anymore but they do lots of customs, heard their customer service is impeccable, they have a bit of a cult following. Check out their website, they have an online guitar builder thats fun to play with!

Latest posts

')