Who do you think has the best vibrato?

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Loomis and Malmsteen have immediately recognizable vibratos, I LOVE their vibratos...

troyguitar

Reaction score
I have a hard time telling Loomis and Jason Becker apart, they both sound fantastic but it's striking how similar Jeff's tone is to Jason.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
If I had to pick just one I guess I would say Uli, but other favorites include:

Yngwie
G Moore
Sykes
M Schenker sober
Jason Becker/Jeff Loomis (they sound nearly identical IMO)

Me!

Not to pretend like my playing is in the same league as those guys, but I really enjoy listening to my own playing when I'm playing slowly enough that it's clean.

:agreed:

All of the above for certain. I actually like Shawn Lane's vibrato with the bar when he took the time to do it, but given how many guitarists I listen to per week I still hear a lot of notes without the golden touch of the older-school players.

Self Bias

Banned
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but I would have to agree on Yngwie. I hate small guages, but if you could vibrato like that on normal strings you might lose a callous or two. Extremely loose and fluid- effortless sounding.
BB has the g string thing pretty well perfected.
Hendrix managed to bend the perfect amount and at the same time sound like he didn't give a shit.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Yng's vibrato is pretty much my ideal as it exemplifies the very best in his playing - controlled, fiery on demand, subtle when required, and the man can do it with the bar, horizontal (classical) or vertical (blues/rock) and I've even seen him do that slide bass player-style vibrato that Greg Howe popularised.

Now, why the hell did I sell my Malmsteen strat again? :)

Around 0:32 is the slide move, but the brilliant finger vibrato is very much in evidence throughout. Haven't seen him use the bar a lot recently although I recall a couple of moments from the mid 80's I'll try to dig out.....

Self Bias

Banned
Reaction score
That's crazy. You wouldn't even know he wasn't bending without the video.

troyguitar

Reaction score
That's crazy. You wouldn't even know he wasn't bending without the video.

Gary Moore used to do that a lot too on his Charvels. I've seen a vid of either The Loner or Still Got The Blues where he played damn near the whole song with the bar and it still sounded perfect. I wish I had that kind of control on my Floyds!

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Yng's vibrato is pretty much my ideal as it exemplifies the very best in his playing - controlled, fiery on demand, subtle when required, and the man can do it with the bar, horizontal (classical) or vertical (blues/rock) and I've even seen him do that slide bass player-style vibrato that Greg Howe popularised.

Now, why the hell did I sell my Malmsteen strat again? :)

Around 0:32 is the slide move, but the brilliant finger vibrato is very much in evidence throughout. Haven't seen him use the bar a lot recently although I recall a couple of moments from the mid 80's I'll try to dig out.....

Wow, that was pretty good, I didn't know yngwie could do anything on electric but wank (on classicals I liked him but his 'metal' is tiring at best).

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Wow, that was pretty good, I didn't know yngwie could do anything on electric but wank (on classicals I liked him but his 'metal' is tiring at best).

Yngwie is a monstrous player, he's just fallen victim to his own cliches. He's capable of so much more than he ever bothers producing or playing....:noplease:

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
Some really good players mentioned already, but one of my favorites that hasn't been:

Andy LaRocque.

Example: Starting at about 7:20...

:metal:

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Peter Wichers
Amott brothers
Mikael Akerfeldt

Reaction score
Gilmour and Clapton...beautiful soulful vibrato! :yesway:

Steve Vai also. I love his vibrato.