Who else jams along with CDs?

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm just curious, how do you guys practice....

Do you just sit down and run through scales and shit?

Do you play along with a metronome?

Do you jam with CDs of your favorite bands?

Do you jam your own material?

I love just jamming along with songs that I either know, or get some tabs and learn new songs. I decided to start learing "My Acid Words" by Nevermore, and I'm currently working on learning all the Dethklok songs for my side-project band. But all my guitar playing life, I've just jammed along with a CD of whoever. I think it helps you develop timing a lot better than just jamming without something to guide you. CDs > Metronomes IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I jam my own stuff, and sometimes throw on headphones (no stereo) and jam along to songs or try to learn sections of songs.

it's a good time :yesway:. CD's and metronomes for true awesomeness ;)

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
I mostly jam to songs using my Boss micro-br (highly recommended). With that I can jam to mp3`s, make my own jam tracks and solo against a chord progression, or practice scales using the built-in drum machine or metronome. If I only practice against a metronome I get bored so I have to agree, it is alot better to
jam with a CD or some mp3.

Occasionally Ill have my zoom2.1 connected to the pc and jam along to songs on Youtube.

Im not in a band so I hardly ever feel motivated to write my own stuff.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I jam along to CDs, backing tracks, my own stuff, TV/radio.
Never used a metronome.

vigil785

Reaction score
Yeah, I have always played along to cds. That is how I learned to play. I think it helped me progress faster. But alot of times I will just sit and noodle, run through scales, practice sweep arpeggios.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
Yep, I do. I put my winamp playlist on shuffle and play along to whatever comes on. It's quite funny when it goes from As I Lay Dying to Sum 41 or something :lol:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think jamming to CD's is an extremely integral part of practice. If you don't have a full band to jam with at hand, what better than to summon one from your stereo. I worked out the whole of the Black Album when I was 16, I was so amazed at the time :lol: but it really helped my playing to a degree I underestimated.

Metronome practice is great, but it's really only good for one thing. In other words - you don't jam to a metronome to increase your creativity. Backing tracks are also awesome.

It's always good to throw solos into songs that don't have them too :yesway:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I think jamming to CD's is an extremely integral part of practice.

+1, especially for people who don't have the means to record.

they only danger of playing along to CDs is that if you fuck up, you don't tend to hear it, so playing solo to a click is also really important.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
It's always good to throw solos into songs that don't have them too

I only just read that bit, yeah it is.

sometimes I even do alternative solos over Guthrie Govan songs so there's two lead parts interweaving, sounds good :yesway:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I essentially tought myself how to play by jamming along with my CD collection during my teens. In a roundabout sense, my teachers were guys like Dimebag, Dave Navarro, Adam Jones, Kirk Hammet, Tim Mahoney, etc etc etc.

These days I don't do that any more. My usual routine is to sit down, pull an inspiring drum sequence into one of my programs, and then start jamming over top of it. Usually record a rythm part in 10 minutes or less, and then spend 2 hours or so practicing my squeedley squeedles over top of the rythm and drums. :metal:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I don't practice. I just look at the guitar and scare it into practicing on its own. :shred:

Latest posts

')