Who else uses their laptop to change patches automatically with midi?

buriedoutback

Reaction score
oh yes! I am super pleased with the vader and qsc. The vader handles metal VERY well, but also cleans and nondistorted tones impressively! I also love that the vader can be comfortably carried by one person, as it isn't too heavy.
I used to have a carvin power amp but it shit out on me before i replaced it with the qsc. no complaints with the Qsc, it does the job

by the way, did the reaper video help you understand how to replicate the midi changing? I wasn't too familiar with it prior to the video but I managed to figure out what i needed to do once i played around with it.

That's good to hear. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of a vader cab. I run 2 alto 15inch powered speakers (in stereo) and find sometimes I don't have enough volume. I think if I add some mids to my live tone, it would fix that.

I havn't received my midi thing yet, so I havn't tried out what your video outlines, but I watched it a couple times and it definitely makes sense on how it would work. I hope to receive the gear this week as I'm starting days off tomorrow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

concertjunkie

Reaction score
That's good to hear. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of a vader cab. I run 2 alto 15inch powered speakers (in stereo) and find sometimes I don't have enough volume. I think if I add some mids to my live tone, it would fix that.

I havn't received my midi thing yet, so I havn't tried out what your video outlines, but I watched it a couple times and it definitely makes sense on how it would work. I hope to receive the gear this week as I'm starting days off tomorrow.

Cool! I haven't tried powered speakers, but the vader definitely gets loud enough and the mids pierce through nicely . Let me know if you have questions or need help with the setup when you get the equipment!

buriedoutback

Reaction score
Cool! I haven't tried powered speakers, but the vader definitely gets loud enough and the mids pierce through nicely . Let me know if you have questions or need help with the setup when you get the equipment!

I will, thanks very much! :hbang:

ps. I talked to my other guitar player and he has no interest in running the midi setup. He likes total control, and he really only adds wah and a little ring modulator so he'll stay with a manual setup.

I'm looking forward to just playing/singing and letting my macbook control everything. I think it will allow me to play more complex or dynamic stuff!

I have another question; I realize you just started using this setup, but are any of your band members finding they are missing out by not having the click track in their ear?
I tried running a click off my phone with 1 side going to my drummers ear and the other side (strings/piano) going to the PA, and my other guitar player complained about not having the click in his ear too.
Personally I didn't feel the need to have the click, I just follow my drummer.
If I buy a JamHub, we'll all have custom mixes of everything, I just wonder if you or your other band mates want/miss the click?

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I will, thanks very much! :hbang:

ps. I talked to my other guitar player and he has no interest in running the midi setup. He likes total control, and he really only adds wah and a little ring modulator so he'll stay with a manual setup.

I'm looking forward to just playing/singing and letting my macbook control everything. I think it will allow me to play more complex or dynamic stuff!

I have another question; I realize you just started using this setup, but are any of your band members finding they are missing out by not having the click track in their ear?
I tried running a click off my phone with 1 side going to my drummers ear and the other side (strings/piano) going to the PA, and my other guitar player complained about not having the click in his ear too.
Personally I didn't feel the need to have the click, I just follow my drummer.
If I buy a JamHub, we'll all have custom mixes of everything, I just wonder if you or your other band mates want/miss the click?

So far, no, we are all super solid without clicks in our ears. Our drummer does a great job of keeping in time anyway, so as long as he's on it, we are fine listening to him. Eventually as time+money allows, I would like to invest in a wireless IEM (in ear monitor) setup for each band member to kick it up a notch . Right now the drummer feels a little less connected to us since he cant hear us as much as the click, so I will set up to where he can hear live guitars/bass in his mix instead of guitar pro or prerecorded parts of our songs for refere nce

buriedoutback

Reaction score
Well having my macbook switch patches/effects for me is pretty cool!! It took a little tweaking to figure out what numbers apply to what patch, but it is working!
Thanks again for your help and for starting this thread!

Next step is implementing the midi changes into our setlist. Luckily we finished our recordings for the album not long ago, so the click tracks and synth/strings/piano tracks are ready to go.

\m/

concertjunkie

Reaction score
Well having my macbook switch patches/effects for me is pretty cool!! It took a little tweaking to figure out what numbers apply to what patch, but it is working!
Thanks again for your help and for starting this thread!

Next step is implementing the midi changes into our setlist. Luckily we finished our recordings for the album not long ago, so the click tracks and synth/strings/piano tracks are ready to go.

\m/

.... yeah! No problem, glad to hear you got it working!

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
Same here, I also built a MIDI stompbox switcher for my pedals that also changes the channel on my amp. Playing live has never been so easy and sounded so good.

pow404

Reaction score
I am really keen on this idea, I have a laptop which I will practically dedicate this to, only need an interface for backing/clicks and a midi interface.

Although I can see this going very wrong. Anyone have any disaster stories with this method? Always thought it would be cool to try out, but never really have because I can see it working perfectly until you play a show then everything going haywire haha. :flame:

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I am really keen on this idea, I have a laptop which I will practically dedicate this to, only need an interface for backing/clicks and a midi interface.

Although I can see this going very wrong. Anyone have any disaster stories with this method? Always thought it would be cool to try out, but never really have because I can see it working perfectly until you play a show then everything going haywire haha. :flame:

So far it has been flawless but I am prepared for the worst... If all else fails i have a Behringer FCB1010 with Eureka chip, so if the laptop ....s out (I have a backup SSD drive just in case!) then I can use the foot pedal to get through the rest of the set

I feel if you go the SSD route with a fresh operating system dedicated only to the Live stuff (on a mac it should be fine with other stuff, PC's have a lot more that can go wrong. Being in the IT field for 10+ years, I've seen this!) then you can rule out .... like buggy drivers and such.

')