Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
Honestly, it wasn't until recently when I started playing guitar again, and playing metal, seeing a lot of these new bands (Animals as Leaders, Periphery, etc.) using 7+ stringers, and seeing how cool it was. I always listened to Dream Theater, Steve Vai when I was playing somewhat seriously through high school, but never had any desire to get a 7 string. I'm so glad I did, because it is seriously so amazing to have, and it doesn't have to be strictly for metal. Best transition ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky Fish

Reaction score
I originally got inspired by Chris and Mark from suicide silence. But since then have moved on to people like Misha and the guys from Meshuggah and Fellsilent.

On a side note, am I the only person that thinks Carpenter is one of the most over rated guitar players of all time?

s4tch

Reaction score
A049_m.jpg

petrucci_3.jpg

...and I could not find any decent images of Eddie Head with a guitar (and nobody would recognize him anyway :evil: ), so here's a vid featuring his mind-blowing guitar work:

So underrated...

christheasian

Reaction score
That John Petrucci guy. I remember I bought a really crappy Cort viva 7 at a local shop in southern Utah just to go home and learn the glass prison.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Well my story is a little funny, when I was about a year in to guitar playing I was still having lessons and the shop had Ibanez catalogs and I used to pick them up just to look at the guitars, then I came across a picture with these two swedes pulling really fucking weird faces with two 7 string LACS Ibanez's and under the picture it said Fredrik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom of Meshuggah, so I went out and bought Destroy Erase Improve as it was the cheapest CD of theirs there was, got home and dusted of my CD player, turned it on and inserted the disc and my life has changed ever since :D

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
some guy had one at a mab clinic. it looked really cool. couldn't stop thinking about it. bought a universe. didn't like it. bad tone. sold it.

bought the a7 many years later and it was great. :)

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Vai, Chris Garza, Stef Carpenter and most of all Jason Richardson. He opened up a whole new world for me with The Discovery.

Podium

Reaction score
Chris Broderick, Steve Vai, Korn, but my main one, Jeff Loomis!
without a doubt my favorite 7 stringer on this planet!

animalwithin

Reaction score
I first discovered the 7-string when I stumbled upon Jeff Loomis. As I researched more I found out that Steve Vai uses them quite often and that most of his album Passion and Warfare was composed on his Universe. Vai is one of my biggest influences to play guitar all around, after I found out that he plays a 7, I was hooked.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Korn's First 3 albums, Dino with Obsolete, Stef. I've always dreamt of playing like JP or Vai, but I'm a terrible lead player.

pitbulltodd

Reaction score
keith merrow. i've been playing for 25 years and i never evened desired a 7 string until i saw one his youtube videos 4 months ago.

')