Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

This video. It's also the video that introduced me to Dino, and eventually Fear Factory. :)

Oh, and as silly as it sounds, Brad Delson of Linkin Park. When I saw him use those RG7620's in some early live Linkin Park videos, I immediately thought "Do want." :yum:

skoatdestroy

Reaction score
this guy
jeff-loomis.jpg

and this guy
1.jpg

but mainly this guy
11448446-11448449-large.jpg

:minions:

dooredge

Leatherneck
Reaction score
I was inspired to move to 7's after hearing the how vastly different a 7 sounds than a 6 from a tone perspective. It's something that drew me in and grabbed ahold of my ear drum and wouldn't let go.

After moving to 7's, I actually went back to 6's for awhile. Late last year I had another "moment" and said time to get back to the 7. I dumped all but 2 of my 6's. I now have 3 7's and 1 8 string. I'm not going back this time!

Bands like Vildhjarta have really captured my imagination as of late.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I kind of discovered JP, Vai, and Rob Johnson all around the same time in 96 and got Meshuggah's D.E.I. around then too. But I finally got pushed over the edge and bought one after getting Dead Heart in a Dead World, but I'd mainly cite JP.

Eric

simulclass83

Reaction score
I think it was Chris Letchford/STS. They really kind of made me realize it wasn't just CHUGGA CHUGGA.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Korn and Dino Cazeras made me aware of their existence. Then I discovered John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Chris Broderick all around late 90's/early 00's (Metropolis Pt. 2, Dreaming Neon Black, and Thane to the Throne specifically the albums that got me into them), and kinda sealed the deal on me wanting a 7.

Djentleguy

Reaction score
Meshuggah, Korn, Nevermore, Chris Broderick, Cannibal Corpse, Dino Cazeras, Whitechapel, Dream Theater. All of those pretty much made me want to experiment with 7 strings\extended range guitars.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
If i had to pick a single guitarist, I guess itd be John Petrucci. "A Change of Seasons" changed the way I thought about ERGs. No longer did I just view them as a means to CHUGGAH lower, but create something more musical with added range. For me, it was moreso the fact that I like going against the norm, and wanted something different to help inspire new writing. The thoughts of having full upper range for leads while having 5-7 semitones lower than standard E for chording/riffing seemed like a very intriguing concept.

Funny side story: as I was tinkering with the 7321 in the store that I later bought that day, the sales guy brought me over a 2228 and said "here try this out". At the time my thought was "wow this thing is overkill...ill never need or want an 8 string, its just too much..." And 3-4 short years later, guess who's GASing ridiculously hard for an 8... :lol:

Ari_VD

genius wannabe
Reaction score
my biggest influence is -of course- John Petrucci:shred: 1st I heard Dream Theater's The Glass Prison, that song was brutal -and still brutal till now :lol:- then I go back to Awake album n so on..
I also Listened to Steve Vai, Dino Cazares, Trivium's Matt Heafy, n then I found that Joe Satriani also played a 7 strings..

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
Steve Vai was a great influence definitely, but Emperor's "Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise" was a great revelation to me... He used his 7 string so melodically imho instead of that breakdownish sound so often used with tuned down guitars...

')