Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevieHimself

7-STRING SCORPION
Reaction score
Sorry no pics but here's who inspired me to play 7s:

1. Steve Vai (he got the ball rolling back in 1990)
2. Korn (I'm not going to lie to anyone about this!)
3. Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel
4. Chris Broderick!!!!
5. Jeff Loomis!!!!
6. Rusty Cooley
7. Buz McGrath/Ken Susi of Unearth
8. Bucky Pizzarelli gave me a couple of spot "lessons" and that was really cool :)
9. There's a local guy named Rich Nazario who does some very neat things with his 7-string (he is a teacher at SG Music in Waldwick.)
10. Meshuggah!!!

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Unearth:
int-0602-unearth.jpg

and John Petrucci:
550px-John_Petrucci_(a).jpg

Started listening to both bands at about the same time. Reading the seven string legion thread on UG also inspired me a bit:lol:

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
Sorry no pics but here's who inspired me to play 7s:

1. Steve Vai (he got the ball rolling back in 1990)
2. Korn (I'm not going to lie to anyone about this!)
3. Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel
4. Chris Broderick!!!!
5. Jeff Loomis!!!!
6. Rusty Cooley
7. Buz McGrath/Ken Susi of Unearth
8. Bucky Pizzarelli gave me a couple of spot "lessons" and that was really cool :)
9. There's a local guy named Rich Nazario who does some very neat things with his 7-string (he is a teacher at SG Music in Waldwick.)
10. Meshuggah!!!

Bucky and John Pizzarelli both kick ass. :yesway:

Luan

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to listen to korn, so I wanted a 7 as a first guitar, and it didn't happened, I tried a schecter that was beautiful but sounded like shit, it was an avenger.
And then I discovered steve vai, then petrucci, then all the jazz players, and how they use it, and then the need of an low string.
So I saved and got my 1527

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Petrucci definitely, thanks to him I wanted a 7 string within about 9 months of starting to play (and got one after 14 months, still my main 7). However, I didn't use it all the time for a while, took until getting more into Meshuggah, Nevermore and Nocturnal Rites.

However, the main thing that happened was, I started writing stuff on the 7, and realising this is how I needed it to be, low, but with the extended range at the top end, so even though Evergrey were influencing my playing the most, I was in a sense influencing myself to do it. Now Evergrey have gone and copied me by using the 7 string more :mad: :D

But yeah, initially Petrucci, then a mixture of the usual candidates, but more influencing myself to do it. Now I don't own an electric 6 :)

metalmike550

metalmechanic!!
Reaction score
i never realy wanted one untill i got into lower tunings. then i found the one i have now (ax7221) at a pawn shop for 160 bucks so i haggled with them and walked out with it at 140.00. im looking for a 7 string rg with trem now. of course i listen to fear factory alot so i guess that could be part of the reason.....

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I always wanted one, ever since I started.

But Chris Broderick inspires me the most out of all the 7 slingers out there.

l_54b10160342daeeae3bc9fd70391fd32.jpg

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't mean to! It was an accident!! :lol:

Seriously, I was in this band (I'm really a drummer :rolleyes:) and the guitarist liked my old Gibson V better than what she had... which was fine, but I didn't have a guitar at home any more, and was really wanting to be writing songs.

(okay, I have a beautiful nylon-stringed Spanish guitar, but it's hard to write metal on that! :lol:)

So I'm looking here, looking there... went to the local repair shop and there's this 7-string guitar!! :eek: I knew Korn used them, but that was literally the extent of my knowledge! I picked it up, played it... and had to have it! :D

I've always been a fan of down- and drop-tuned metal (I like nu- and alt-metal, bite me :fawk:) and this fit the bill, covered all the bases, as it were. Since then I've been influenced by the same 7-stringers as everyone else (more in terms of rhythm, tone, and songwriting than leads): Korn, the guys from Flaw and 3rd Strike, Ben from RA; more recently getting into Dino, Buz and Ken, and most recently really loving Loomis; and lots of guys from around here, particularly Bulb, Mattayus, KirkPetrucci, Tiger/Iechine, Chimp Spanner... the list goes on!

I'm equally influenced by 6-stringers as well, guys like John Connolly and Clint Lowery, Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornell, Wayne Static, Max Cavalera, John Thomas Griffith (Cowboy Mouth), Paul Masvidal, KK & Glenn... this list goes on too! :D

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score

Not exactly the songs that did so, but the artists.

Also At The Gates
and Soilwork

as I loves the low B they both use.I never liked tuning a 6 to B though, I always though "that is what a 7 is for." though I did it on and off for a few years. Then Meshuggah and I became good friends.
band.jpg

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
No-one. I've always been into low tunings since I first picked up the guitar. Then hearing Crowbar made me take my 6 string down down down. Then I tuned it just a tad lower.

However, I missed all the high notes from regular tunings, but whenever I was in regular tunings I missed all the low notes. Ta da!

This is similiar to my reasons, I would always be reaching for a lower note, and didn't want to downtune my sixes, because then I'd lose high notes, etc. and at the time I wasn't keen on downtuning anyway, I just wanted more notes.

Then I heard Nevermore, found out about Loomis and his seven string, and was like "oh, you can play more than Korn on a seven string, I need one of those!"

Heeboja

Crazy Finn that is
Reaction score
I really have 3 big influences:
Steve Vai , Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci. First seven that I tried to play was Stephen Carpenters Signature model but he's not an influence for me.

Steve Vai is the god of guitarists and Jeff and John are demigods.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
whitesnake.jpg

He started it when i got 'The Audence is Listning' tab of a freind and the whole Gargally grinding legato run bit suddenly made more sense. I Stopped wanting pretty quickly though till this guy came along:

200803_cooley_1.jpg

I liked his power metal/neo-classicaly ish (very ish) style... that said i got over him pretty quicly (weddily weddily phase)... give credit where its due and all that, his teaching however is exelent IMO.

These guys made me realise that you dont have to play TEH BR00TAL METULZ:

daveweinerpic.jpg

220px-John_Pizzarelli.jpg

And this guy keeps me going because hes doing something INTRESTING with a 7 string and isnt Balls to the wall the whole time:
dobles.jpg

NO discussion about the last one please, last time i intiated that the thread on it got locked.

Meshuggah gets a mention, but it was more so i could jam them with my mates hahah.

To be honest, and i understand that Korn was a big influence here to a lot of people, but they were a big obstacle with me. You know what its like when you hear something that puts you off and you nevcer get over it... kinda like most people an jazz hahaha. Because of them i couldnt see potential in a 7th string... l learnt the error of my ways :fawk:

Peace
CD

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i was inspired to step up to 7 strings by the lack of low notes on a standard tuned 6 string, and the lack of high notes on a down tuned 6 string. that extra string is the solution i've been wanting for years (i just finally got a 7 a couple months ago).

Infused1

Reaction score
I saw Steve Vai and Korn playing them and thought, I could fix my tuning issues on my 6 strings with them. I always had to tune up and down for different songs and got tired of it, and the 7 string was the perfect answer. Cant go back to 6 strings now, they just dont feel right anymore. So Id say Stave Vai Korn and Fear Factory.

No-one. I've always been into low tunings since I first picked up the guitar. Then hearing Crowbar made me take my 6 string down down down. Then I tuned it just a tad lower.

However, I missed all the high notes from regular tunings, but whenever I was in regular tunings I missed all the low notes. Ta da!

Exactly! But I wouldnt have known about the guitars if I hadnt watched those people playing them.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The day Fear Factory's Obsolete was released, i was hooked on 7 strings

')