Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
Steve Vai and Korn. Pretty typical I suppose but that's how it went down. I possibly could have gotten a Jem in 1992 but the sales guy at Sam Ash was too lazy to get a ladder and pull it down from the top row. I was young at the time and didn't push the matter. I ended up with a Les Paul Standard that day which I traded in 2000 for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier that I still use to this day so it all worked out in the end.

Once Korn's first album came out, I saw them tour that album and many afterwards. They re-sparked my interest in the 7's and I got a royal blue RG7620 in 97 or 98. After that an LTD H207 followed by an H307 and the rest is history.

onlymeipse

Reaction score
for me, it's actually Keith.

I wanted a 7 string when I started listening to Meshuggah, but Keith really is the one who inspired me to make the switch and to really PLAY a 7 string.

Couldn't have said it any better. Petrucci and Loomis did their big part, too.
Anyway I've ordered few days ago my first seven and I can't wait to get it :hbang:

a curry

Reaction score
311477_10150570327779572_959942750_n.jpg

yep this is also my reason for making the switch, which then made the other guitarist in my band switch too.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Pain of Salvation anyone?

Attachments

• daniel gildenlow.jpg
    daniel gildenlow.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 27
  • johan.jpg
    johan.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 30

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
meshuggah7ozzfest02.jpg
656bd03beb49401566f65001f65a_grande.jpg

These guys got me into 7 strings mainly, I never really liked KoRn all that much so I went with Meshuggah instead, my story behind getting into them is actually a funny thing for me, I bought an Ibby catalogue when I was about 14, flicked through the RG pages and this picture was at the top of the page, I was taken aback by it really, what I saw was something similar to this:
fredrikthordendalsspecialdefectsfredrikthordendalnoborders-227x300.jpg

And I thought to myself "Holy shit! I need to know what these guys sound like!!!" so I went to HMV the next day, the only albums left were Chaosphere, Destroy Erase Improve and Nothing (Unremastered), bought all three and took them home to study through, my musical life hasn't been the same since...

EDIT: I FOUND THE CATALOGUE PIC!

13-3eb99b26b5.jpg

BUT! Not only did Meshuggah pull the trigger for me, Deftones helped me think of obscure ways of utilising all of the strings using large and obscure sounding chords, so Steph I salute you!

stephen-carpenter_32193.jpg

These days I still cannot play fast leads, my playing style has a huge use of hammer on's and tapping plus syncopation and a love of strange sounding chords, I thank both Meshuggah and Deftones for enlightening me to the weird world, of 7 string guitars.

Peace.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Wow, how did I never end up posting in this thread :scratch:

Anyways, like everyone else, my first interest started with them with Korn, but what convinced me to actually pull the trigger was Stephen Carpenter. His way of playing 7s and actually integrating all 7 strings into his writing, even if he's not the most impressive player out there, really influences me. Needless to say, from there on out, I got really into Fear Factory and started to understand why they are what they are, and then moved on to to things like Nevermore and Unearth, though to this day I'm still terrible at shred leads :squint: Being a kinetic learner really makes some things difficult when you only work with a few family-level musicians, and neither of us (the guitarists) really care too much for shred outside of Devin's silly amazing random fits of it, but leads however are a very different story :)

kessel

Reaction score
I was inspired to play 7-String by my 6-String Ibanez RG and my Eclipse :)

I started a metal project with a friend of mine, and everytime I wrote new songs I used my ESP, which was already tuned down to drop-B. My Ibanez came later, and as it is one with an Edge Zero tremolo which I also use for some other projects, I didn't wanted to tune it down, but at the same time I wanted to use it also in this metal project.

Then I decided to buy strings for a 7-String guitar and tune my ESP down to drop-A, as it were a 7-String just without the high E string to make them compatible. Then I noticed that everytime I wrote songs or adapted the old ones I missed the high E string on my ESP and the low A on the Ibanez, and said to myself I must get a 7 String to be happy with this project, there´s no other way...

This and the tones of videos I saw and forums I read searching for the right one were my inspiration. So, I just can say there's no famous people who inspired me directly to get a 7 string but just my guitars and you people, thank you :)

Shamash

Reaction score
Horror Illogium of Portal is the one inspiring my 7-string GAS at the moment.
Other than that, probably Behemoth and Morbid Angel.

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
Rusty Cooley's Live Clinic inspired me, I'd started out with blues and caught a listen to Yngwie Malmsteen and from there I happened to randomly download Cooley's War of the Angel's song, from there I did research and bought his Clinic dvd.

Seeing him play the way he did on a 7 made me believe I could do the same thing, what it did, instead is when I got a 7, it forced me to actually practice better so I could get to that level....still climbing though. :noplease:

rustycooley.jpg

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
Well I will just start out with saying, I got into playing with low tunings way before adding strings was ever a thought in my head. Within the Ruins are probably the biggest culprits but weren't the first drop tuned band I was listening to.
Anywho some bands that got me wanting more strings are: All Shall Perish, After the Burial, Animals as Leaders, RUSTY COOLEY, Jeff Loomis, and Chris Broderick. Oh I forgot to mention John Butler haha. Seriously though he may have just took one string off his 12 string but he inspired me like no other to finger pick.
aaaathe-john-butler-trio.jpg

Last edited:

zzz5150

Reaction score
tosin abasi inspired me to play 7 strings weird but i played an 8 at GC and i hated it but i play a 7 and loved it

Given To Fly

Reaction score
For me it was Steve Vai and John Petrucci. I wanted to learn a bunch of their songs but I was missing a string!

cult

Reaction score
Steph Carpenter, the guys in Korn, Wes Borland... later on I started paying more attention to it due to bands like Meshuggah and because I thought some Tool'ish stuff would sound great on 7s.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Stephen Carpenter, John Petrucci, Brian Welch

tm20

Reaction score
my grandmother :lol:

no seriously, this is how it happened. i visited my grandmother at the start of this year and upon seeing her, one of the few things she wanted to discuss with me was her buying me a present. she said since she hadn't got me anything in years, and knowing i play guitar, sh wanted to get me a new guitar. i declined as i already had 2 guitars but she insisted continuously....so i caved in. since i already had 2 6 string guitars, i decided my 3rd one would be a 7 string. so i went to the guitar store but they only had 1 or 2 models. I asked if they had any 7 string RGDs and they said they could get 1 in from the warehouse in 20 minutes. I waited and it finally arrived, unaware that it was a prestige RGD2127z :hbang: i bought it and haven't stopped loving it ever since. and that's how i got into 7 strings. thanks grandma!

')