Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Suitable

Reaction score
When Slipknots first album came out was what made me love these brutal guitars... I just had to have one... now I want more... 1 is just not enough!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pitchshifter13

Reaction score
First I started with 6 strings in 1998. In 2002 I bought my first Ibanez RG-7420 BP. It was inspired by KoRn and watching their Rock am Ring 2000 live show in the MTV Live over and over again.

Then I realized Fear Factory was using the same standard A tuning on the Obsolete record as KoRn does. So, I started to play FF songs, and really liked the style.

I was really happy when saw Stef from the Deftones using sevens on the self-titled album, but hated, that he used standard G# tuning, and drop F# later... I could transponate some songs into A, but it wasn't really cool.

So, I go to work as doctor in 2011, and bought Ibanez RG 7321 for standard G# (without Floyd Rose I could easy tune down to drop F#, or use it for the Bizkit songs with standard C# or tune this string down to get a drop B :) ) and an ESP LTD SC-208 8 string tuned standard F# for Deftones Diamond eyes record and for Fear Factory 8 string song on Mechanize and Industrialist. Tuned down the 8 string to drop E, I can play the Koi No Yokan record now.

Now I bought an Ibanez RGD 7320Z. It was cheap because a painting failure, but I want to make it repainted by an artist, I want a Fear Factory Demanufacture logo guitar, quite the same, as Dino has (he uses RGA with Demanu logo, but who cares).

Next dream is to make a copy of Ibanez Giger RGHRG1 (laser engraved), but on a seven string (maybe with the old RG-7420).

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
MUCC and Unearth :hbang:
Mostly MUCC.

Edit: Holy shit, how could I forget Morbid Angel?! Morbid Angel was the main reason :lol:

Bisky

Reaction score
Korn back in the day. But i did not keep the 7 long. This time around I honestly got inspired by Keith Merrow. Agile should cut that dude a big check, I'm sure Im not the only one who picked up a 727 after watching Keith.

Taylord

Reaction score
My parents went a garage sale and found a frankenstein 7420 for 100 bucks and brought it home. I had no choice.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Dino would be the biggest for sure. I've been listening to FF for about 17-18 years, so even before I started playing Dino has been planting 7 string seeds in my mind!
DINO.jpg

Petrucci. Especially when I 1st heard Six Degrees, The Glass Prison was so heavy! Then onto Train of Thought with This Dying Soul etc etc
John-Petrucci-by-Ivan-Chopik-4.jpg

Buz McGrath. Being a teenager when Metalcore was on the rise in 2001, that new stuff was everywhere. But Unearth really stuck out for me & they still do! Buz is a great player & they write killer Metal
105727474.wM9Tr8Th.Buzz14.jpg

Of course I was listening to Korn, even before Dino started using them. Although I love their stuff, not sure they made me want to get a 7.

Alex Wade more recently can be added to the list.
alexwade.jpg

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Funnily I was curious about the 7-string for a long time but was always concerned of being labeled as a "nu-metal" guy :lol: Then I saw some footage of Morbid Angel with Erik Rutan, Cannibal Corpse, Meshuggah and some Brodequin (!!!) bootleg. All that looked so awesome that I had to get one! And here I am 10+ years later, using sevens, not really caring much for Brodequin and unable to be a Rutan fanboi cos he's back to sixers... :lol:

Eviga

Reaction score
my mom! she doesn't had a clue about guitars but bought me a RG7321 on a peddlers market for birthday

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
My buddy on Steam a number of years ago peaked my interest when I was younger telling me that it'd be cool cus I could play like nevermore/trivium and what not.

No regrets.

Thank you kaEfbAml. ;)

FredRipper

Reaction score
The reason Im getting a 7 soon is because I basically wanna keep the standard tuning I know so well, but also have the ability to play downtuned music as well. So the 7 string lends itself excellently for that.

The 7 string artists that impress the hell outta me are:
Jeff Loomis,old Korn, old fear factory, Unearth.

hfam

Reaction score
dino cazares...
because he is fat... and I'm fat too.

LULZ!! You win all the innernetz for the day! :)

Seriously (aside from agreeing with the fat part above), it's as many have already said, the idea of seamlessly moving in a downtuned direction while maintaining standard tuning was pretty appealing.

I actually bought my first 7 in a pawn shop for $150 (LTD F-207). Replaced the pups with SD Invaders and I still use that axe in the studio.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Tony Macalpine, Bulb, and to some extent Tosin (which may see me going to an 8 string at some point). I should have made to leap a long time ago but despite the fact that I do shred, I was always kind of in denial about it. I make no apologies now. If you want to hear blues stuff, get a time machine.

s2k9k

Reaction score
KoRn. Especially when Life is Peachy came out. That changed everything for me. I was 17 at the time. :scream:

MetalHeadMat

Jackson/Charvel Connoisseur
Reaction score
My main influences for getting my first 7 string were Trey Azagthoth and Erik Rutan, mainly the Domination album from Morbid Angel, however their later albums also swayed me in that direction:
2lxbhu1.jpg

j7etjt.jpg

And to a lesser degree, John Petrucci on the Awake album:
24limmv.jpg

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Misha and Chris Broderick, shame that Chris only uses his sevens live AFAIK.

')