Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
My main initial reason for getting a seven was that I was in a rut inspiration-wise and wanted to try something new to find fresh ideas on how to approach writing and playing (yes, always buy new gear when creativity eludes you :fawk:).
That was exactly my reason :agreed:

In early 1990 I was feeling in a bit of a rut so I decided I needed a new guitar. I was about to buy a nice new Ibanez 540S when the sales clerk mentioned that Ibanez was going to release Steve Vai's 7-string commercially. I put the 540 down and put a deposit on a UV7 PW right away. Had to wait about 9 months for it to arrive and the distributor told me I had the first one in his area (western Canada). I knew I'd always wonder what new possibilities I'd be missing out on if I didn't have that extra string. So it was the availability of the instrument itself that was the inspiration, but thanks to Steve Vai for causing Ibanez to make them in the first place. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Definitely John Petrucci.. A few years ago I was look at getting a higher end guitar and at the time I was really into Dream Theater and figured I'd get a 7 string since some of the 7 string songs Dream Theater has done were my favorites. So I tried out a 6 string EBMM and was like hell yeah, so I ordered a 7 without ever playing one in my life. :lol: At the time I didn't even think twice because there was no chance in my mind that I wouldn't like the neck. It worked out well as I am now 100% hooked on 7 strings haha. Then from there I got into bands like Nevermore and Emperor which confirmed the awesomeness of 7 strings. :hbang:

PeteLaramee

AssMaster General
Reaction score
Vai and then Petrucci got me interested, but when I saw Tony MacAlpine with Derek Sherinian live I bought a 7 string the next day. :yesway:

Rhoadkiller

Reaction score
BEHEMOTH
nergal.jpg

Morbid angel
Morbid_Angel_live_in_2006.jpg

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score

Definitely just that one video. Nothing special at all about that riff or most of his soloing over it. But the simplicity was what moved me. I adore pedal-tone licks, and a low B just allows me to use the pedal tone while still having all six strings to use for the improvisation. And honestly, I probably havent' grown much beyond that stage XD

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
I've always loved that Vai video as well, I remember watching it way back :yesway:

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Well, firstly i saw Korn playing em', i weren't really into em', but i thought it sounded pretty cool. Few years after i started listening to real music, i saw this DT music vid from the 90's, where Petrucci plays this old Ibanez UV, black w/ green hardware. And i fell in love. After that i somehow bought a Metal Hammer magazine, that had an interview with Corey and Matt from Trivium, and there was a link to Roadrunner Records, that introduced me to FF and Dino's ULTRA-GAS-TASTIC-REVERSE-HEADSTOCK-IBANEZ' axes and some earlier Chimaira, when they used those ESP MH models. So that's basicly about me :agreed:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
who sparked my interest in the early 90s was vai. who made me actually buy one was mushroomhead.

jym

Axel

Reaction score
Carcass and Cynic. I wanted to be able to play their songs without changing guitars.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Trey Azagthoth. He was the first guy that i've ever seen playing one when I saw Morbid Angel back in 1994. :metal:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I fell in love with 7 strings since the first time I saw one in a Korn vid. I just loved the way it looked with the wider neck and all that shiny strings on there :lol:

Said that, I never really felt the need of buying one until I listened to "A Change Of Seasons". Unearth is the true responsible of me buying one, with no doubt. Then Loomis showed me the way a 7 should be used :metal::shred:

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Yeah, gotta agree with most, Korn and Fear Factory. Mainly Fear Factory. Dinos riffs were just amazingly huge and powerful especially on the Obsolete album. Although, it was Christian Olde Wolbers that made me buy one. When I saw FF live and saw Christian's weapon, I had to get one.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Dinos riffs were just amazingly huge and powerful especially on the Obsolete album. Although, it was Christian Olde Wolbers that made me buy one. When I saw FF live and saw Christian's weapon, I had to get one.

I know this from somewhere :lol:

:yesway:

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Trey of Morbid Angel, hands down! :mf666:

The man's got mad groove and skills, he's freakin' possessed when he plays!
I really recommend you go out and see them play, he's really somethin' else :hbang:

Attachments

• PicsTrey15.jpg
    PicsTrey15.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 609
  • PicsTrey33.jpg
    PicsTrey33.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 32

charles22880

Reaction score
George Emannuel 3rd
Odin and Lucifer(im not lying)
Ihsahn
brian may
Jon from dissection
Demonaz from immortal

not necessarly all 7 string players but they influenced me to push boundries

Cant forget Tom G Warrior

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I never really listened to 7-string artists in particular. Ofcourse Passion and Warfare is in my collection, as is Slip Of The Tongue, but I never really gave the 7-string aspect much thought.
But last year I had terrible luck with my guitars and at some point found myself without any whammy-equipped guitars. I had only my Les Paul that was in decent shape, and I was looking for a backup guitar, preferably something with a whammy.

I've been watching the Ibanez S series for years. I love the ZR tremolo on them, and I like the sound of mahogany anyway, and the sleek look is nice aswell.
Since this guitar was supposed to be a temporary replacement, I figured I'd try the 7-string version. That way there would at least be some reason to keep it and possibly keep using it after my regular 6-string whammy guitars would be playable again.

I was sold the moment I picked up the S7320, because the tone was HUGE. And it was really easy to adapt from 6 to 7 strings with the neck on that one.
I've only started listening to some 7-string music at that point, trying to get some ideas of how the extra string can be used.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
attachment.php

Trey Azagtoth. "God of Emptiness" made me want a 7 string guitar, that and domination. Seeing them live on the domination tour got me obsessed as well, i finally got one in 2000, 2001? Had to be a UV7BK as well :D

Trey Azagthoth. He was the first guy that i've ever seen playing one when I saw Morbid Angel back in 1994. :metal:
+1

Morbid Angel

l_0c35d21f5b973bbae0c2b1497d61f868.jpg

Where the Slime Live!

Among others...

Just need to quote to get more trey pictures in this thread

')