Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FollowTheSigns

Reaction score
I started listening to a lot of bands like BoO, CG, Whitechapel, etc. and when I went to go learn their songs I couldn't, after a while that happened too much so I had to get a 7!

Splenetic

Reaction score
Really... I just wanted a new guitar... Local shop had a cheap Dillion 7 string for sale, and I bought it...it was like 150 bucks... My main goal at the time was to play death metal.... An extra low B string never hurt anyone so i just went for it.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, it was this song(...s)

Low but definitely on 6 strings, I can why it would make you want to go low though!

“I’m not saying I wouldn’t play a seven-string. It’s just that I’ve never needed one. Most dudes who play seven-strings don’t sound any different than someone playing a six-string that’s tuned down.” - Dimebag Darrell: Guitarworld, 1999

DarkNe0

Reaction score
883683_10151315672099013_336565151_o.jpg

7soundz

Reaction score
Well I always played a 6 string but I finally got my RG7420 today thanks to Steve Vai and John Petrucci.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Whitechapel. They were using 7's and just had to get one for myself. Dino was also a reading I picked up a 7 instead of continually down tuning

Fringe

Reaction score
Well for me it was Vai, Petrucci and well finally my former bandmate..he had one and I loved it so much I just had to get one, too...never looked back since then :)

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
Biggest inspiration when I first got into sevens was definitely Steve Vai. Then came John Petrucci, Meshuggah, Jeff Loomis and more recently Per Nilsson. The guy's a total beast both as a songwriter and a lead guitarist.

Rotatous

Reaction score
For me I don't really think there was one particular player who inspired me to play a 7-string, I think it was more of just falling in love with the sound of lower tunings in doom metal, etc. yet disliking the shortened range of tuning a 6-string down.

Plus seeing all of the 7-strings you guys have been posting over the years didn't help :lol:

The Dystopian GBM

The Dystopian GBM
Reaction score
Back when I was younger I wanted nothing more than to be just like Munky from Korn..

Always dreamed of having a K7 & playing "Freak on a Leash" like a pro.

Alas never happened & so recently deceided I wanted to play a 7 due to finding out that is the main guitar Deftones Stephen Carpenter uses & so thats my main reason now (although still looking tio learn "Freak on a Leash")

Attachments

• 250px-Korn.jpg
    250px-Korn.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 9

Dylana

Queen of Chug
Reaction score
To be honest I played 7 string because I wanted to be low and go high at the same time. I also loved Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare and Korn and Chelsea Grin and Suicide Silence.

')