Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stg

Reaction score
Trey and their album covenant is how I found out there was such a thing as 7 strings. I had recently started playing, and a six string could not cover the range I was after. At one point I was down to G#1 on a 6 but then I lost the high strings :noplease:. I saw Trey playing a 7 and looked into it. It was exactly what I was after.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neko

Reaction score
Mr. John Petrucci
by this DVD
dream+theater+john+petrucci.jpg

FantasyMetal

Reaction score
Hate to say Korn was probably the first that got me to buy a 7-string, but Petrucci is who got me to stick with it and keep coming back to it.

PBGas

Reaction score
I first saw Vai with one when he was with Whitesnake on tour and I just looked at it and loved the concept! Noticed Korn was using them some time later and then of course petrucci. Glad they have kept in season! I love my JP12 7!

TraE

Reaction score
Honestly, I wasn't sure what I was going to do in terms of guitars (was deciding on a 7 or a baritone 6), but hearing Jeff Loomis' solo work really convinced me to go ahead and get a 7. It probably would've boiled down to that anyways since there isn't much selection when it comes to finding a 6 string baritone. The world of extended range guitars is becoming much more prominent in society, and hoorah for that!

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
1- Andy Mikhail (from his Oceano days)
2- COW
3- Friends in local bands

AKan

Reaction score
Keith Merrow and Misha Mansoor...

That stuff just sounded so cool, and I didn't know how to go about learning it on a 6.

meteor685

Reaction score
John petrucci though i didnt know he used a 7 string when i got mine, i just found a 7 string at a garage sale and thought it looked cool, and it was a really really cheap RG7321 so i got it hahaha

Fear

Reaction score
I'm getting old: Korn, Meshuggah and Fear Factory back when I was in 8th grade. That caused me to get my first RG7

More recently, bands who got me back into 7s and extended range guitars: Textures, Scale the Summit, Devin Townsend, Thy Art is Murder, Behemoth, Modern Day Babylon, Tesseract, Skyharbor, Monuments, Intervals and Uneven Structure.

Loicle

Reaction score
Ola Englund and Fred Brum , i saw them last year In Belgium for a Special event , and 2 month later i had my first seven

IanCBoss

Reaction score
Considering that I'm very young in terms of being into metal, (I'm just shy of 18, and have been into heavy music for around 3 years) most of you older dudes will laugh at me for this but the band, or album rather, that got me wanting to play a seven string/in drop A was The Flood Reissue by Of Mice & Men. I had never really heard something so throaty so i blocked my Floyd off, bought some heavier strings and into the land of drop A I went.

Years after that I heard the riff in Icarus Lives! by Periphery and I fell in love. From there I got into Prog Metal and I needed a Seven.

Of Mice & Men and Misha Mansoor, final answer.

ToS

7-string abuser
Reaction score
Munky, Head, Wes Borland, and Dino Cazares got me into 7's at an early age, and I never looked back!

^that

I got infected when I heard KoRn’s Clown for the first time. I immediately knew that this is the way to go – I´ve never owned a single 6-string since then...

')