Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SonicBlur

Reaction score
I HATED 7 strings for what seemed like forever because of Korn...but when I started watching guys like Keith Merrow, Ola Englund, Jeff Loomis...I was like...AH-HA!! Now I have a Schecter KM-7 and I'm on the hunt for a Ibanez RG927QM!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Fear Factory, Meshuggah, and honestly, this place. I heard so many sick clips when I first joined here I couldn't believe it. I've now owned 4 different 7s, currently own 1 and have another on the way. Plus a baritone!

Hooked on the heavy.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Vai and Loomis. Actually Vai was the one who inspired me to pick up guitar in general! Funny story: It was the ending scene to Ralph Macchio's Crossroads movie that did the trick haha.

hqdefault.jpg

For those of you youngsters: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa0b14_crossroads-battle_music
1:55 (Bad Horsie) still gives me chills

max3000

Reaction score
Honestly? Keith Merrow! Back when he was playing Agiles and made his first album I fell in love with the tone.

Andrenighthound

Reaction score
my girlfriend's accordion she mostly plays in c#minor, c major, and in d along with E and Am plus bass players always use a 5 string so it was logical. Plus I like to mimic bass lines and slap on guitar.

KevinBalouch

Reaction score
DT - John Petrucci, (early) Anathema - the Cavanaghs, Periphery - Misha and AAL Tosin Abasi (even though he plays mostly 8's). :)

jco5055

Reaction score
For me it was Dream Theater and Nevermore, and the fact that I really couldn't play a lot of their songs (especially Nevermore, since so many of their classics are 7 string stuff) so I got one. I also liked that 7 strings are still relatively rare, especially if you're not just writing metal.

Cowboyfromhell

Reaction score
Jeff loomis and John Petrucci . Then i discovered Keith Merrow and the guys from Periphery....... new realms of pleasure unlocked :D

Reaction score
Pat Obrien for me. For while I was kind of against 7's as I just assumed that was for the core djent crowd and that death metal bands had no use for them. But when I saw people like Pat and Karl Sanders starting to use them it made me realize what they could do.

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
First time I heard Dire Straits - Money for Nothing as a wee lad. Took a tennis racket to talent show at 8 years of rebellious age and just shredded like nobody was watching.
Then Metallica - One happened, and the shite got real.

')