Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Massimiliano Pagliuso:
299957657_3fc58c933c.jpg

299956185_44b85aa098.jpg

Hevy Devy:
220px-Devin_Townsend.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

Chris Broderick (Obv):
180793_400_300.jpeg

[/FONT]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
My bassist. He has a 5-string and I've always wondered how kickass would it sound if I had a 7-string. Soilwork's low notes always gave me the shivers, too.

Then Lacuna Coil and Pain of Salvation started to use sevens, and the seed of GAS was definitely planted.

When my female singer left the band, I had to transpose some songs so that I could sing them, and, because of that, I finally bought myself a seven :) (yeah, I wasn't into tuning my six-string to low A either).

Oddly enough, few of my favorite bands use sevens at all.

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
Carcass inspired me to tune my 6ers to B.
Then i saw Trey with Morbid Angel :bowdown: and I've been playing 7s ever since.:hbang:

2jzonecup

No China No Good
Reaction score
When I was a kid i always liked the KoRn and Fear Factory sound. Soon to follow bands like limp bizkit and orgy and countless outher Nu' Metal bands were using sevens so i thought it was just going to end up as a fad. And yeah the popularity died down a bit. I played six string guitars until recently. So i'd say the newer breed of seven stringers such as Unearth, Through the Eyes of the Dead, and especially AFTER THE BURIAL and VEIL OF MAYA have influanced me to start playing sevens pretty much exclusively.

revclay

Reaction score
The first guy that really made me take notice to the 7 string was John Petrucci. I was a fan of Dream Theater at the time and the concept of having a seventh string intrigued me. Fast forward a few years, and I had become a fan of guys like Jeff Loomis, Buzz and Ken in Unearth, Trey Azagthoth and Scott Hull. So, I decided to go to Drum City Guitar Land and try my hand at a 7. I fell in love instantly and the rest is history. But really, the player that had the largest influence on my first 7 string purchase was definitely Jeff Loomis.

Sweetmiracle512

Seven String Drummer
Reaction score
I would say John Petrucci and meshuggah. I always like low heavy riffage (even when it will take me years to play it.)

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
I got into tool, and that low b on prison sex (BADGBe) and some other song off lateralus (cant think of which) (BEDGBe) just hooked me, but i hated retuning cause all my guitars had floyds at the time. the sevenlust was born

Diogene303

Reaction score
I think i would have to say the following got me intrested in playing seven string

Steve Vai ( Passion and Warefare album ) , John Petrucci ( the Awake album plus a video i saw of there's back in the 90's ) and a video i saw of Trey Azagthoth with a green universe ibby (can never remember the song but he was in a woodland area in the video playing it), also shamed to admit this but korn ( for just using sevens not the technical skills with them ). Then after that seeing Dino in 1997 , Messugah and alot of other guys in not just metal bands but some jazz bands also.

abyss258

Reaction score
Back when my friend and I started playing, he bought a 7-string. I was like "WHAT!!?" and was converted. Simple as that.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Ok I don't know if this thread has ever been done (probably has).. But lets talk about who inspired us to pick up 7-strings.

And as always...
:worth:

I would have to say my biggest influences for gettin my 7 were Dino Cazares (the fuckin man!)...

...Also, I gotta say Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones is a big influence on my playing...

...And all the early stuff from Korn was a big influence.. Head and Munky kicked ass on those 1st few albums.

wr07_korn_01.jpg

munky.jpg

1191293973.jpg

KoRn-Head02.jpg
same here!!! Dino,Stef,Korn

Reaction score
The first time I ever noticed them was when I saw Morbid Angel's God of Emptiness video on Beavis and Butthead. Then, they started becoming popular because of Korn, and I played one at a Mars Music when I was much much younger. I didn't really get into it because I didn't understand the extended range aspect, and instead viewed the lowest string as the lowest, rather than an "extra string". I was playing metallica riffs on that low B and was like this doesn't sound cool at all. Then, several years later, I joined the band I'm in now, and they were playing 7 string guitars and a 6 string bass. So, I borrowed one from the other guitar player and have been hooked ever since.

Reaction score
Im into low tunings and on a 6 drop G just wasnt sounding good,
Then I got into bands like Nevermore, Meshuggah, Morbid Angel and then found that it was for me.
I just got my first 7 two days ago and it is amazing.

To sum up, my main influence was having the super low tunings but still having the high notes.

ADAMAKAGORE

Reaction score
Before I bought my 7'string I was going to buy the Alexi'200 model from ESP..After talking to myself I realized that I was going to use it to play on lower tunes anyway.
Since I made a compromise to myself of buying a guitar and learning scales and techniques to start making my own stuff and to be able to improvise, I thought that it would be good either to buy a baritone (kinda hard to get for lefties) or try a 7 string to see how it went.
Two weeks before buying my lefty 7, I bought Jeff Loomis album...I was completely convinced about the 7 strings...
So I can say he had a big influence in me choosing a 7.:lol:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Korn inspired me originally, but then i dropped the idea, because i didn't see any reason to choose 7 strings over down-tuned 6. then i dropped low tunings all over, and settled for drop D. then i was happy for a long time, until i started noticing how fun it was to tune a little lower... and a little lower... and then finally, when i heard meshuggah, started thinking about sevens again, and then Bulb just freakin' sold me on it, because i saw how 7 strings could be utilized, and paired with meshuggah's 8 string stuff, i was convinced that a baritone 7 string was THE way to go.

i'm awaiting my shermanized schecter now, i think it'll be arrived when i come home. i hope so, anyways :p

and now i'm craving an 8 string, because it's a whole 7 string, which is awesome, but then i can drop tune it to a low E, and have that insane amount of range and oppurtunity. so now i want a 30"+ scale 8 string as well as a bari 7.

so yeah, i'd love to have a couple more sevens in different tunings and stuff too, but at the moment i'm sticking to one of each kind :)

')