Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
wr-jeff07.jpg

2345560724_d1bc39be40.jpg

:shred:

these Two guys are pretty much what got me into 7's.
Now I'm heavily into Petrucci.
Add Vai and Tony Mac to the list as well. but primarily hearing "Enemies of Reality" for the first time made me get off my ass and try a 7.
Then when I heard "The Glass Prison I was done for.
Once I did I've never looked back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
I have known about 7-stringers for quite some time, I think since the late 90ies. But I started as a bassist, became a drummer, to eventually learn the guitar and the classical guitar, so it took me some time to develop a serious need for one.

I am inspired by music. I do not have a seven yet, but I ordered one. And I might get an 8, too. I am inspired by composers actually, like Franz Liszt, James Dillon, Henry Cowell. I am also inspired by Meshuggah.

Fredrik+Thordendals+Special+Defects+2ihuikz.jpg

nightmare197

Reaction score
It all started for me when I found out Korn was using them. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. My guitar teacher at the time then showed me the world of Vai. From that point on, I was hooked. I still get excited when I find out a band I'm into is using 7's. Especially Ibanez ones.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
A strange one perhaps, but it was partly driven by 6 stringers who tuned down, like bands that play in Eb, D or C#, where I couldn't play their stuff in E standard on a 6 string, but now that I have a 7 string, I can play that stuff now, so that was definitely one inspiration to take up 7 string playing.

MetalJordan

Reaction score
My friend Taylor inspired me to play 7 strings. He bought one after talking to Anomalous's guitar player then bought one. After seeing how nice his was i decided to get one.

Æxitosus

Banned
Reaction score
when I first heard they made 7 string guitars, i was like "i have to have one of them"
when i bought the guitar i still did not know of any bands who used them. my favorite bands then were nickleback, all american rejects and green day.
now, lets say I've "woken up"
I play an ESP ltd SC-608B 8 string now, so i got somewhere in 2 years

Benjo230

Reaction score
I don't even have a seven string XD

But i think it's safe to say, the main reason i've been GASsing for one for a long time, is John Petrucci :metal:

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
A handful of dudes.

Steve Vai, I woshipped him mwhen I was starting out, still do.

Rusty Cooley, I found him bad ass, and still love his work.

Jeff Loomis, so I could learn Nevermore riffs XD

Derek Taylor, an unsung hero from Shrapnel, I love his playing, too bad he doesn't play anymore. I have three CDs of his and all his instructional material.

I lvoe a lot of other bands that use 7's, but they are not really why I play them, but do influence how I play them sometimes.

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
Most of the bands I listen to actually use 6 string guitars. So I guess what made me want one was just realizing that there were guitars out there with more strings, and I wanted to play them! :lol:

Now I'm awaiting my first 8 string :)

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Defintely Jeff Loomis, specifically on This Godless Endeavor. I had been thinking about getting one before, but once I heard that album I NEEDED to be playing those riffs.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
A Change of Seasons and The Test That Stumped Them All.

raifo

Reaction score
Korn, Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Wes Borland, (thats about it : /) have inspired me to go for it.
cant wait till i get my seven!

Warpspasm

string breaker
Reaction score
Other than wanting to go to 7, cause I just wanted to. Rocky George's shredding, not that used them often, but he did.
"You Can't Bring Me Down!"

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
when i got my first 7 string in highschool it was korn. then i decided i didn't need 7 strings. so i switched back to 6 strings for a long time. and then i decided i wanted more range and decided it was time to go back to the 7. so initially korn and then i just wanted more strings.

')