Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToneLabeouf

Se7en String Shredda
Reaction score
Here's the one and only reason I've been playing a 7-string guitar for the majority of my guitar playing life:

JeffLoomis2-1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ockis23

Be Excellent to Each Other
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Mushok from Staind for the low tunings, and Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit showed me how awesome 7 strings looked. In terms of playing a 7 it would have to be korn and now Keith Merrow:shred:.

Reaction score
Meshuggah of course... But when I bought my first 7-string, I wanted to play The Glass Prison (Dream Theater). When I finally got my 7-string, I realized this song was too hard for me, specially the solo on the begining. So my 7-string was useless for me :(, until I discover Meshuggah and Deftones, their sounds blow me away, Chaosphere is one of the best album I ever heard.

You should listen to the last album of Hacride, a french metal band. I think they use 7-string on this one. Textures is also an awesome band from Netherlands.

pink freud

Reaction score
If I had to pick, I'd say Devin Townsend.

Except I play ADADGAD or GCGCFGC instead of GCGCGCE.

Issor

Reaction score
for me, it's actually Keith.

I wanted a 7 string when I started listening to Meshuggah, but Keith really is the one who inspired me to make the switch and to really PLAY a 7 string.

guitareben

Reaction score
I first got interested in 7's just because i was looking for new things to do on a guitar. More strings = fun. Then i kinda forgot about them, or lost interest or summit, but then after seeing quite a few guys play them (broderick, Loomis, and just generally many guys) my interest came back and i started wanting them again :p. Then i got into a certain guy called Steve vai, read an interview where he said that at one point he used 7's for almost everything, and i thought, screw this i gotta get one (i was worried play 6 string stuff on it could be made harder, and it probs is a bit, but who cares). I still haven't got one yet hahaha but whatever my next guitar is it is going to have 7 strings :D

Edit: Animals as leaders also help lots to (they use 7's AND 8's ^^). I want an 8 to but that will have to wait :(

Last edited:

Daken1134

Reaction score
i was raised in a really industrial setting so mushroomhead was prolly the first band i heard that had 7's so they got me in the mood. also when i was like 13 i went to a concert and saw trapt, alright pop rock band but the guitarist who no one even knew existed was in the back of the stage and he had a 7 and soem of the big chords he would play were getting me into it. once i actually started playing then of coarse vai, petrucci, "searching" by satch, john pizzarelli is a HUGE idol of mine, of coarse meshuggah, dave wise (not a guitarist but to learn some of his compositions i needed to get lower) and probably the ONE person who completely sent me over the edge and got me to go buy my first 7 was wes borland, no matter what that guy is a badass. Then tosin got me to go for 8.... also the final fantasy opening theme got me on 8 so i can play all 4 ocataves of the arps.

Poho

Reaction score
Petrucci definitely got me interested in trying them, but not enough to buy one. I won't lie, but Periphery's debut is what finally sold me on buying one, not only to learn all of their songs, but they inspired me to start writing.

I used to just use drone tuning like Sikth, but i have suddenly had an insatiable craving to get that seventh string on there. Shopping around for one right now.

Richie666

Reaction score
I was going to buy a 6 string Schecter and realized the model was available in 7 string form (ATX), so by all logic, meaning I could play everything a 6 string is capable of with added range, it seemed the best idea. Plus i wanted to learn some Nevermore songs :metal:

Demiurge

Reaction score
Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World" came out and MusicYo.com started liquidating their stock of Kramer 7's. Picked up a Striker 7 for $179 with a hardshell case.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I know, when I bought my first 7 string the only bands using them that I knew of were Korn and Limp Bizkit which was in the 90's. 7 strings have become way huge in the last 6 years especially.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Probably hearing all the old KoRn and Limp Bizkit albums back in the day, and then hearing "Obsolete" from Fear Factory shortly after that. I didn't manage to get a 7 until 2002, since I was barely learning guitar at the time I got those albums, but I've been playing em ever since.

Hammy

Sevenstringer
Reaction score
logo.gif
:agreed:

'nuff said. All the NGD's, video's and other talk on here about sevenstring guitars makes it almost impossible not to go out and buy one..

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
[Edit: ^^^ Hell yeah THIS ^^^

These are my men for sure! ...probably in order too. :hbang:

1. Justin Broadrick
1507338813_979c3283a2.jpg

2.John Petrucci
john_petrucci_g3_032407_review.jpg

3. Dino
dino-cazares.jpg

Last edited:

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
that guy
chris%20storey_0.jpg

even though i don't have a 7 string yet :( its the next thing in my gaslist

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
oh totally. so fuckin epic. I really enjoyed Jesu live too.
OH FUCK I AM JEALOUS!!! How recently? I wanted to kill myself when I missed a show out here not too long back...fucker just snuck up and played this tiny show like 10 blocks from my place. LOVE Jesu. Actually basically anything JKB touches is borderline, if not completely, fucking genius.

I know more of you owe some homage to the man!

BOW!

:minions:

')