Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMU

Reaction score
No artist really got me into 7s, 'twas the awesomness of the Universe instrument itself. Love at first glance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

garza

Reaction score
Korn was my gateway band with the 7's. It changed everything and made me get my first guitar. That was well over 12 years ago hah.

Frey

Reaction score
For me is was definitely Matt and Corey of Trivium. Trivium had already been my long time favorite band but right after listening to Kirisute Gomen I new I needed to play sevens and now I'll never go back...

Attachments

• Matt_1.jpg
    Matt_1.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Corey_1.jpg
    Corey_1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 39

sportlov

Reaction score
I played piano before I picked up guitar, unfortunately the range a seven string guitar still feels kind of restricting. I might have to look into a high A-string or several more frets on the next guitar I buy.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
No one inspired me to play 7's, I don't think any of the bands I listen to even play them. I just want the added range, and I hate drop tunings (and love floyds coincidentally). So I want a 7 so I can transpose stuff to standard tuning without going out the bottom.

Laxdude67

Reaction score
no one actually lol. i love metal/hardcore and my material is catchy, melodic, and groove oriented so I love that in drop A i have that nice low end, AND i have standard tuning right below it! it just made sense!

Miijk

Walking E-string
Reaction score
I would say Dino Cazares! Then later on Stephen Carpenter and Munky and Head!

Now I almost can't play any guitar with less strings :p

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
No one for me. My first instrument was a sax, and I ended up going from that to learning music theory. After that, it was pretty much just a thought that having a bigger range makes a little bit more sense. Why limit yourself.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I always saw myself playing a seven string when i felt it was time to progress from a six string, which would basically be anytime i saw fit to buy one lol!

But it was defo Devin Townsend that started me on seriously looking into seven strings. Also some of my favourite guitarists use seven strings or have used them at least, Stephen Carpenter, the Meshuggah lads, Dino, Trey Azagthoth, Nergal among many others!

Vocals09.jpg

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
My giant ass arms and hands forced me to get a seven. 6's are just too small for me and tend to look like little toy guitars when I pick one up. I also like the ability to go as low as I needed while still being able to play in standard.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
Devin Townsend and Ihsahn's solo stuff was definitely the catalyst that got me into down tuned 7 string music, but it wasn't until I heard Icarus Lives! for the first time that I knew I had to get my hands on one.

theicon2125

Reaction score
for me the biggest were Korn (before Head left) and Trivium, but Whitechapel was one of the ones that showed me what 7s could truly be used for

')