Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
Some guy named Steve got me to thinking about using a 7 string. But more for heavy stuff than shreddy stuff. Around 97ish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cronux

Reaction score
broke the neck of of my 6 string... since we were down in drop a, a friend was selling a COW7. my band said that i should go 4 it. i did...

never looked back

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
nergal.jpg

366468449_0e32ec81d8.jpg

72405-jeff05.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was Nevermore that got me into the mojo

AlexQ1993

Reaction score
Buz Mcgrath. Unearth was the first 7 string band I listened to and then i saw a Steve Vai clip where he was demonstrating his 7 and that sealed the deal

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, Frederik Thordendal to name the top three. It was Mr. Petrucci that set it in motion with A Change of Seasons. Loomis sealed the deal :lol:

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I don't own a 7 string yet but I still want one badly
Slipknot cause they sometimes use drop A
Tosin Abasi no explanation thera haha
and actually tuning down to b I liked the low sound

Entombthemachin

Reaction score
It kinda was a natural progression for me, started down tuning, then played a 7 in Guitar Center and bought it.

but probably...
Misha Mansoor
Chris Storey
Rusty Cooley
Jeff Loomis

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Reaction score
The guitarists who inspired me to play seven string guitar are ...

Steve Vai (That tone he had on the `Passion And Warfare`album)

Trey Azagthoth (`Where The Slime Live`)

John Petrucci (That riff in `Puppies On Acid` that eventually became `The Mirror`on the `Awake` album)

Just love the concept of expanding the pallete of sounds a guitar can create, and I am very tempted to try an 8 string soon !!!. :)

ibanice

Reaction score
wes-solo-with-seven-string-corbis-460-100-460-70.jpg
Wes Borland

John-Petrucci-by-Ivan-Chopik-5.jpg

definitley John Petrucci!!!

And my self. My eyes opened for the possibillities in a seven string, and BOOM! i got a Ibanez RG7321....

And Liquid Tension Experiment with Acid Rain. That's what made me get a seven-sting.

Altaïr

A Wake In Providence
Reaction score
I can say although I would listen to korn I had no clue they were using 7 strings. Once I got into playing music it became more of unearth and korn that made me want one, mainly because I couldn't learn their songs without one. Then I discovered down tuning and blah blah blah the list then switches to petruccie, Messhuga:shred:, korn, :bowdown:periphery, trivium:hbang:, born of Osiris, and so much more but it I got a shitty 7 string but I felt better because I had one. But I sold it now I'm on to getting my Agile =D

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I listened to 7-string bands like Nevermore, Meshuggah and Dream Theater, but what actually prompted me to get a 7 of my own was my friend Anthony in VMOD.

vmod

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
For me it was Dino who first got me wanting a 7. I loved Korn and their tone but always thought it was super muddy for my personal tastes, tho it worked wonderfully for their sound. But it was Dino and his tone that showed me 7 strings don't have to be muddy and are good for not only sludgey stuff but also for precise percussive playing; he was also the reason I went with the EMG 707, which I still use to this day!!! Back then it was the only pickup that gave the 7 string tuning the clarity I like and is still hard to beat in my opinion.

Another band who got me wanting play a 7, was a quasi-death metal band called Embodyment. They had one good album called Embrace the Eternal(everything else after that sucked), after seeing them live in 1998 and purchasing that album shortly thereafter I absolutely had to have a 7 string!! I would say that not only were they the main determining factor in me getting a 7 string, they are also still to this day one of my biggest musical influences on both my guitar playing and drumming. BTW, to all those reading this that have never heard that album, check it out now!!!!!! That album was way ahead of it's time!!!

')