Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Korn introduced me to the concept, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, and Within Temptation fueled the interest...

...but in the end what made me put money down for a 7 String was the work of Arjen Lucassen:

110112_148941_146972__arjen-lucassen.jpg

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
In order of inspiration

JeffLoomisDB+8.jpg

gruvartist_2d07e_lg.jpg

periphery-two-misha-630-80.jpg

It all comes down to these guys. Jeff Loomis and Nevermore was my main inspiration to get a 7 string. Keith Merrow and Periphery greatly helped my decision and made me get more into the modern metal playing style. Other guitarists, like Chris Letchford and Robby Baca, helped me love 7 strings even more, but my main inspiration to play 7 string was from the three dudes above.

Forror

Reaction score
This guy. Aaron friggin' Marshall. I had heard plenty of other guys with 7s: Trooch, Periphery, Scale the Summit, Korn, etc. but none of them really pushed me to get one. The moment I heard In Time by Intervals I thought "Okay. I'm getting one the moment I have enough coin."

5IlKV0I.jpg

:bowdown:

curtisleviathan

Reaction score
Unearth and Trivium's album Shogun really introduced me to the 7 string as I was listening to them during the time I started really getting into guitar. I had always liked Korn before but never even noticed how many strings they had.

Andless

Reaction score
No-one. I just woke up one morning and decided I had to play 7:s. I had always felt 6 string electrics were lacking something.

shikamaru

Reaction score
A Change of Seasons blew my mind. CAFO blew my mind. I’m playing 7 string guitars thanks to John Petrucci, now I want to play 8 string thanks to Tosin :)

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Steve Vai, even if I'm not a big fan of his musical work, he inspires me more on a simple human level.

MBMoreno

Reaction score
John Petrucci got me curious. Jeff Loomis and Nevermore got me on the verge of getting one. Then I tried a friend's Ibanez S of some sort for 10 minutes or so and the idea almost faded away. But playing six strings lacked something.
Then along came Periphery, Fred Brum, Ola, Keith Merrow, and the recent trend of ERG. And when a friend of mine started committing to being a luthier, I "committed" to the idea again and went through with it.

Now I can't play 6 strings having seen the world outside

Promit

Reaction score
Honestly - Jeph Jacques from QC. He did the comic about Marten getting an 8 string, then mentioned SSO, then I wound up here. This was sorta simultaneous with finding Ola Englund's videos, so I guess the two of them together did it. Of course I looked into more guys before actually buying, but that was really the trigger.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
i found about 7 string guitars because of mushroomhead, but i got a 7 because of Loomis and Korn

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Munky, Head, Wes Borland, and Dino Cazares got me into 7's at an early age, and I never looked back!

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Technically I bought a 7 to play "Panic Attack" by Dream Theater, so John Petrucci first. Almost immediately after, though, I went through a Chelsea Grin phase. Now I'm inspired by Chris Letchford, Petrucci again, Devin Townsend and Meshuggah to an extent.

mrdm53

Reaction score
1st time i watch Ola Englund's Amp Demo on youtube, i was totally hooked with 7 string! now i rarely GASing for 6 string, unless some model which is awesome (currently saving for RickHanes Shredguy)

Reaction score
The usual suspects (korn & fear factory) were my first exposure, but it wasnt until cannibal corpse released kill that it intrigued me. Suicide Suicide Silence and Carnifex came along and I was tuning 6 strings down to Drop A alot. Naturally, my first 7 was the answer. As far as the range of a 7, I never heard it played beautifully until I found Loomis.

')