Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WillingWell

Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble, but The Heart Collector is played on a 6.

Petrucci made me get my first seven but I got rid of it. Then I got into bands like Nevermore and Unearth that played them and I was like "Oh mah gawd, I need a seven" and got another one. Now I'm looking to buy my second.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OwlsHaveEyes

Josh Gauges
Reaction score
My friend Pat St. John. He used a sevenstring back when he was in this band called Facehole...and I really liked how they played...That was back when I was like 15 and I have been determined to get one ever since. Once I get one I am hoping to start jamming with him..For bands though I would definately say Korn and Nevermore.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble, but The Heart Collector is played on a 6.

Petrucci made me get my first seven but I got rid of it. Then I got into bands like Nevermore and Unearth that played them and I was like "Oh mah gawd, I need a seven" and got another one. Now I'm looking to buy my second.

Really? Oh well, it was played on a seven according to a then mate... At least it made me consider playing 7's you know :lol:

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
About 7-8 months after I started playing, I discovered Chris Broderick, Rusty Cooley, and Trooch and I knew I HAD to have one.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Korn and Limp Bizkit!!:hbang::shred:

:rolleyes:

Okay not really. I don't think any particular player influenced me to pick it up. It was more so the fact that I wanted to beef up my chord playing and I found the 7th string perfect for that. I also wanted to do the low-ass chuggin' without having to downtune. I like keeping my guitars in standard.
That, and the big neck looks freakin' cool. :)

thedonutman

Reaction score
I accidently ordered a C7 instead of a C1. What a wonderfull mistake that was.

That must have been really strange when the box arrived.

"wtf? This guitar has an extra string?!?!?"

Celiak

Reaction score
That must have been really strange when the box arrived.

"wtf? This guitar has an extra string?!?!?"

It was, I hadn't even given seven strings a thought at the time. So I thought I was going to have to RMA it but I figured I could give it a play first to see what they were like as long as I had it. It rocked, so yeah.

Best mistake I've ever made.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I don't have a 7 yet, but the artists who made me notice them and start looking would include John Petrucci, Stephen Forte, Rusty Cooley, Tony MacAlpine, Steve Vai, I'm sure many others along the way also...

kigorri

Reaction score
Steve vai & sepultura.

I used to listed to steve vai around when P&W was released and dream about how sepultura would sound on a 7.

It was never to be, and I digressed into music production, producing Drum & Bass, Hip Hop etc until (recently) I remembered that I could play guitar. After getting my fingers back on track, I picked up where I left off, grabbed a 7 string or two and its all :shred:.

Its all bout the versatility and the sound of being able to go LOW :hbang:

JerkyChid

Beef jerky kid
Reaction score
Dave Felton, Gravy of Mushroomhead. His reasoning, not his playing just made/makes a lot of sense to me. I sat in my room and looked at my two six strings tuned a half step down and drop C (though I like B a bit better) and thought "I love being low but I really like standard.. and I don't wanna switch guitars when I wanna do either... I need a 7 string.."

FredGrass

Serial Chiller
Reaction score
London, Ontario - even the trees here are metal
For me, it was mostly the availability of additional low frequencies and the single-position greater range. I first became aware of 7-strings online dream shopping when I was a kid, a couple years before the first time I picked up a guitar (Sidenote: that lasted like two weeks and six years later I actually started playing.), so the idea of an extra string to deal with wasn't much of a concern. I already had to learn to use six of them, what was one more? Oddly enough though I've played more on a six than I have on a seven by quite a long shot.

Shit, sorry guys. I forgot I had done a search so I bumped this dead thread. My bad. Now how do I delete posts... ?

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I had to get one for two reasons, first off, the other guitarist in my band had one (jealous of that low-B).... secondly, I always wanted another Ibanez after I sold my first guitar (RG550), and it got passed around through tons of bands and when I finally got a chance to get it again, the neck had snapped on it. :(**

So... Ibanez + 7 = RG7620. :yesway:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore, Dream Theater, Vai

but Meshuggah turned it into my main instrument

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what artist's influence you play step out the norm and play the seven string guitar, for me it started out with Korn, then Fear Factory and some Nevermore. I just want to get that super low crunch and I want to play melodic too. What about you? and what's your preffered tuning on the seven string? I play in ADGCFAD

Hey dudes, For me; Inspiration wise it was in 2005 when I saw a now friend of mines band on our country's Metal TV show 'steel mill'. It was the Band 'Dawn Of Azazel' and the song is Called 'Immortal Dominance'. The video came on, The Lead singer and bass player who is also a good friend of mine, stood with a stance like a warrior, he has a shaved head, a large dark tattoo on his chest and a huge arm sleeve tattoo, He Spits to the side and smiles with an evil grinn before launching into his musical assault. the [then] two guitar players Joseph and Tony on each sides with wide stances, their guitars chugging and their gas mask covered heads bobbing. at this time I wasn't into death/blackened metal that much. but as soon as Rigel opened his mouth I Knew I'd love this band, the music, the philosophy, the lyrics. but the whole essence of my Dawn Of Azazel passion is My good friend Joe; He plays an RG7620 in magenta crush with dimarzio's and also has various other 6 string ibanez guitars aswell as a Gibson(or)Epiphone 7 string V. okay I've said alot. but search 'Dawn Of Azazel' on youtube and watch the 'TV3 News' video - It shows the Immortal Dominance video!

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Dave Felton, Gravy of Mushroomhead. His reasoning, not his playing just made/makes a lot of sense to me. I sat in my room and looked at my two six strings tuned a half step down and drop C (though I like B a bit better) and thought "I love being low but I really like standard.. and I don't wanna switch guitars when I wanna do either... I need a 7 string.."

:agreed: That's a huge part of my reasoning for sevens, too. Plus, the thicker B string makes the lower chords sound a lot more massive than a puny down-tuned E-string!

')