Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shupe13

Reaction score
The look of the 7 inspired me to play one. I had been tuning down for a while. It wasn't until I bought one that I really started to research its players.:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coupe89

Reaction score
I still love the song Blind and listen to Korn. Korn was a big part of my life in high school.

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
no one in particular really. i just got a really good deal on a 7 string and said why not, i didn't own one and i enjoyed the idea of adding on a new string.

Coobanez

Reaction score
I first heard about it from korn, but they didn't inspire me to play what I play. It was Loomis in GW magazine playing the sweeps from the Psalm of Lydia that made me realize that's the guitar I wanna play. And then Unearth inspired me to bring in the hardcore edge.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i've been playing for 10 years nearly, but only got my first seven early last year. The reason it took me so long was because, i dunno, pride i guess you could call it. Stupid pride, a bit pathetic really, but i just had stupid immature thoughts like "if you can't do it on 6..." and that kind'a crap.
My favourite guitarists don't play 7s. Infact, i'm not inspired by any 7 players at all really. Perhaps I am now that i'm an avid abuser of 7s, but nobody inspired me to get a 7, if you know what i mean, it was just a natural progression and totally my own decision.
I'd say though if i had to say some players it's Petrucci (was always a DT fan regardless of the amount of strings), the boys from Unearth, Meshuggah, and Dino. But as i said these have only become inspirations since being into/using 7s

Wound

Reaction score
I got my first 7 in 99. I loved downtuning guitars. I used a Gibson Les Paul tuned to Drop A with a .065 bass string at the bottom. worked fine for me. Never really considered a 7 since i'm not much of a shredder. But I took it to get repaired for some reason...don remember why. The guy there told me I should get a 7 string if i'm goin to continue tuning like this, cause the Les Paul couldn't take it. So a few months later I did, the AX7221, still have it with an EMG 707 and FAAS in it. But for inspiration, it would have to be Dino, his riffage was the key that eventually made me get 7 string guitars.

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
i seen head and munky from korn play them and i got the idea that i like standard and drop d but had no way to play them both in 1 song so i bought a 7 tuned the B downt to A and had the normal 6 in standard so i could have both standard and drop tuned stuff in 1 song

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
yah I was a big korn fan as a kid and my dad always tried to get me to play guitar, but at the time I wasnt interested.. but I did say "Can I get a 7 string then?" and he gave me the headshake.. cause hes a 80s metal guy, being kinda dissapointed of me wanting to play "numetal".. lol.. Now like 7 years later, Im playing 7s as my main =] Its nice to know my first actual thought of playing guitar in my life, was actually wanting a 7 string though.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
It was Steve Vai for me, not because I wanted to copy his music, which I must admit I do love, but because the way he used his 7 made so much more sense to me than the traditional nu metal way of simply using it for low chunga chunga.

riklite

Reaction score
I started playing guitar in the late 90's when Nu-Metal was alive and well. I was a huge fan of Dimebag Darrell even though he played a 6, but the stuff he did with a guitar made me think I could never play it. I really started liking Korn and was like, wow I think I can play this stuff! I'm also a fan of Wes Borland. I wanted to get a 7 when I started but a friend of mine talked me out of it and said I should start with a 6. I got a 6 string Ibanez RG and I always wished it was a 7. I just got my first 7 string a few weeks ago. I'm also a big fan of Stephen Carpenter of Deftones which is why I went for the ESP/LTD SC 607B. I absolutely love it. I've never wanted to play guitar as much as I do now. I don't think I'll ever go back to a 6 as a primary electric.

Whitebear

Reaction score
The first time i heard about it was from Fear Factory some years ago but my primary inspiration was Meshuggah.

DevourTheDamned

Fossicker
Reaction score
Jeff Fucking Loomis did it for me.

The This Godless Endeavour video on youtube, where the camera pans across the fans and then that huge first heavy power chord comes inm that just gave me fucking chills.
Thats also probably the biggest part of my decision to pursue music as a lifestyle and career.

Im happy now :D

7 strings forever guys!

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
John Petrucci and Steve Vai were my first influences. Then when I heard Nevermore's Dead Heart In A Dead World, I was sold!!

sixty

Reaction score
Nobody influenced me to play the 7. It just happened lol. Riffs in my head would fall or contain notes lower than E so it seemed natural to get a guitar that can use those extras when needed (Also so I could be able to cover just about any of my favorite bands without switching guitars or tunings often). Tuning I keep completely normal BEADGBE with A=440hz. Though recently I've droped to Bb for a song in the works. It doesn't get used though it makes the fingering pattern easier for the scale I'm using.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
long long ago, i was all about Korn and Fear Factory, then i kinda wandered off, got into bass, and now i'm coming back and thinking that i really don't wanna fuck around with having to retune, restring, and get setups all the goddamn time, or have like 5 guitars sitting around for every different tuning i could want, i want one thing that does everything...turns out that just adding one string kinda does that and doesn't take away anything else either

')