Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Honestly it wasn't anyone who inspired me, I was just sick of having to down tune to play my stuff then tune back up to play in my schools Jazz band, so I figured a 7-8 string would be optimal for me cause I won't have to down tune :shrug:

MetalJordan

Reaction score
well i had never really heard of bands playing 7 strings (even though i listened to bands who played 7's) i never really knew that a lot of bands play 7's. my friends taylor is actually the one who first got me into 7 strings when he bought an rg7321. after that i fell in love them and bought my douglas

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I dont know if there is really any artist in particular that made me switch over to a seven string. I think it was mostly just playing one at a store, and i really liked the sound of a couple of my songs in a lower tone. I never really liked korn or limp bizkit or anything so they never influenced me when they were popular. Although I remember the first time that I ever heard and recognized the awesomeness of one was on the song acid rain by liquid tension experiment (john petrucci),

reptillion

Reaction score
I wanted to down tune to D, and lower for doom stuff, but i wanted E for maiden, metallica and megadeth. So I started thinking about it. Then i started questioning if I actually needed to go down to B/A. Until I heard nile. Now im dead set on one

So myself and Nile

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score
No real artist inspired me to get into 7 strings. I just thought the idea was great. I bought a cheap BC Rich P7 mockingbird early on, and went to guitar lessons with that guitar, so the 7th string has never really bothered me. I kind moved on, didnt play the mockingbird, and went back to 6 strings for a long while.

Then one day i was looking into getting a new ibanez RG. I wanted a high end one though, something that i would last me and play great. I stumbled onto the Universe series,a and was sold. I thought "if it can do everything a 6 string can and more, well why the hell not?". As soon as i layed my hands on it, i was an instant bond. I had planned to change the pickups, but i was quite satisfied with the blazes already that i didnt want to ruin a good thing.

The more i play 7s, the more i am convinced this was the right instrument for me. The extra range is just so helpful. Alot of times you can get away without downtuning, all you need to is just adapt!

7 string rock!:hbang:

I_infect

Reaction score
Heavy Ed, he stopped over my house with his black and green universe, which must have cost about $1500 at the time or something. I started tuning my 6'ers to B after that, and then I got an RG7421 and RG7420. No particular artist inspired me; it was more of a hands on "wow".

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
No specific artist for me either, with the possible exception of John Petrucci. The concept that you could go that low and still remain a level of clarity just spoke volumes to me - it's the ultimate br00talz. I don't use it in the most musical way, but metal has more to it than musicality, and the sheer rumble you can squeeze out of a seven string is incredible.

I_infect

Reaction score
Yeah, 'Awake' opened my eyes a bit wider to 7 strings as well... not so much the leads but riffage, 'The Mirror' etc. I knew then(7 strings) it was here to stay. I thought Vai was great of course, but honestly who the hell thinks they are gonna play like him enough to buy a guitar like his? Especially when at the time, he was the only guy playing one.

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
All the local bands used them, and we jumped on the bandwagon…..we were playing 6’s in A and it was a natural step… and Vai.....

slay

Reaction score
i had my 6 string for years and it was sort of stuck in standard tuning (me not being able to downtune with a floyd due to my ADD)

so i had some cash saved up and wanted something to get alot of range from and voila i got a 7 string.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody, really. I ran out of range on my 6 and needed an extra string. Little did I realize that I would make it my main guitar so quickly after it arrived.

Edhyena

CHEMTRAIL X ©
Reaction score
steve vai initually.... then carcass sealed the deal. they used 6's and tuned to B :)

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
I got my hands on a russian guitar (Russian guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Well, that was the first guitar i ever touched and i thought that it's normal to have 7 strings. Later i found out that all the chord-books only covered 6 strings :ugh:
Years later i bought an electric and detuned it to D-standard because it was a compromise. After a few months i said "Fuck this shit" and ordered a 7. I was younger back then and had almost no money. The RG7321 hit my budget hard but it was worth it. Definately :agreed:
I detuned it to A standard (because i had the sixer already in D), later on i returned to B-standard for my seven.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
At first, I just happened to like low notes from bands such as Soilwork and In Flames - even though they play downtuned 6'ers. However, I didn't want to lose access to high notes, and I always thought that 7's were quite classy at that, even the acoustic ones.

The ultimate inspiration came from Lacuna Coil and Pain of Salvation, however.

metalheadpunk

NUTRICULA
Contributor
Reaction score
The other guitar player in my band is who convinced me to buy a seven. years ago i liked a ton of bands who played seven string guitars, though i knew nothing about gear back then.

')