Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis whilst listening to the "Enemies of Reality" album. (and soon after all of Nevermore's other albums + various other 7-stringers)

Bygde

Reaction score
It all started with Fear Factory (back in the Cazares-days), but I also got inspired by Dream Theater.

Hoj0

Reaction score
Devin Townsend and Chris Broderick mainly.

The reason I got a seven for was really to be able to play Nile, LoG, Gojira, Symphony X, SYL etc on the same guitar, with the same set of strings :fawk:

Reaction score
Originally became interested in 7's when i was younger and listening to a lot of Korn, Fear Factory, and Orgy.. And then Deftones and Meshuggah.. And eventually started getting into the shredders and discovered the 7-string wizards, like John Petrucci, Rusty Cooley, Jeff Loomis, and Chris Broderick.. and Unearth fuckin rule!!

Dopey Trout

Silly Fishy
Reaction score
got interested in the thought by Fear Factory, then discovered Dream Theater and realised what could be done with them. My want for one kinda laid dormant for a while, until the new Trivium record. Say what you want but they are a solid band. So now I'm looking into building my own

flyingllama

Functioning Psycho
Reaction score
No band did it for me. A long time ago I was at a GC and they had a used Ibanez AX 7. Didn't notice it at first, then I looked at it again and I noticed the neck was wider and it had another tuner I was like "what the hell is this?" My hand wasn't fully used to neck shapes then so when i grabbed it I was overwhelmed by the width of the neck "how do you play something like this?!" From that memory alone I've been interested in them. For the range, for having 2 guitars in one and the look of not being another herded guitar player.

Jem7RB

Rootbeer
Reaction score
Originally, it was Vai playing a UV in a local store (dammit for never buying it) i quit 7 strings and a Player called Clive Murrey's tune came up on iTunes and got me really wanting one again.

And now, probably Dino, Broderick, and as asskissy as it sounds, 7DyingTrees new stuff, gief demo tracks plz James :p

Spondus

Reaction score
the glass prison by DT and Dead Heart in a Dead World by nevermore.
I tune to standard but more recently i've been desperate for an 8 string so i've had one of my RGs tuned to EEADGBE. I bought my first 7 at the age of 16 after having been playing guitar for about a year and a half, I was tuning to C standard but missed the upper range so decided to go for a 7 :shred:

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
Way way back in the day I would have to say Vernon Reid was one of the first guys that really made my jaw drop, like a lot of old school guitarists seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, it was his performance in 1989 on SNL that really got me.

snuif09

Reaction score
Fear Factory for sure i loved dino's first stuff (concrete,soul of a new machine and demanufacture) obsolete had great songs but the riffing wasnt that cool i think christian olde wolbers influenced me the most mostly because of his fast playing style wich i just love.

i still know when i listened to slave labor when i was a kid(which i still am:lol:)
and i was just amazed by the speed and heavyness of the song so i tuned down my guitar to b wich sucked then i realized he uzed 7 stringers so i got my seven string about 4 years later :lol: thats a month ago lol.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Uli Jon Roth. I know there were earlier guitarists incorporating 7 strings but he was the first one that really caught my imagination with his feel, compositions and originallity. After that time I've heard a few players that impressed me and might become onfluences but none had that same impact.

Reaction score
It was the guys from an Italian band Novembre, saw videos of them playing 7 strings. Just really liked their music and the tones they get out of their 7 strings.
Just recently decided to get a 7 string guitar, probably gonna take some time getting used to it and playing live using a 7 string, hope all goes well.

Cheers

Adil-2552

Reaction score
Hmm, I'd say that the instrument itself inspired me:p
On the other hand, guitarists like John Petrucci and bands like Unearth precipitated the purchase of my first seven:hbang:
One thing I love about owning a seven is when I hand it to someone just starting out, or some self righteous poser that can't play...I neglect to mention it's a seven, and wait for the confused look that shortly follows after they try to play an E chord:fawk:
That "wtf" expression on their face is priceless:evil:

Hehe

')