Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cadremetal117

"7 String Hammer"
Reaction score
Whitechapel and Suicide Silence, I Love the 7 string brutallity from these bands. They inspired me not only to play 7, but to play Deathcore. I use ADADGBE, and GCGCFAD tuning on my sevens, love it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

txguitarslinger

Reaction score
My first taste of 7 was with Vai during the "Passion and Warfare" days. And only recently had I toyed with the idea to go low. Found a great trade deal and now I have one. I love the ability to have a standard tuning as well as the drop d 7 string, or the option to go lower tuning with all strings. I always hated having to detune my 6th for a few songs. And now I find myself intrigued with an 8 string.....The journey continues....

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
Justin k Broadrick (Godflesh and Jesu)

low tunings in general

the Cure (ok not metal BUT he did use a baritone long before alo oft before metal went lower than drop Db)
cave-in
isis
pelican

actually i went baritone THEN 7 string bari. gotta get the high end in there somewhere.

Fikealox

Reaction score
Loomis, Cooley, and Satch, for me. Plus, I'm wanting to lower and heavier these days, too, so I figured I may as well go all out :)

rareform707

Reaction score
after the burial.
i actually never decided i really wanted one until i played one for the first time. first time playing in drop A through a mesa boogie dual rec really sucked me in!
but i probably wouldnt have cared to go guitar store hopping just to try one if it hadnt been for them.

meshuggah really got me into 8's, but i didnt decide i wanted one till after the burial got them, ha!

schecter007

Reaction score
Whitechapel and All Shall Perish made me buy my first 7, went to the guitar shop n the guitar bang right infront of my face, Schecter 007 elite on sale. sold.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Korn got me into 7s, but these guys inspire me today:

Steve Vai
Per Nilsson
Jeff Loomis
John Petrucci
Muhammed Suicmez

Voodoo Turkey

Reaction score
Stephan Forte was the main 7 stringer that inspired me for sure.

Other 7 stringers that continue to inspire me include:

John Petrucci
Wolfgang Kerrinis
Nils Norberg
Jeff Loomis
Steve Vai (obviously!)

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
i dont think i was ever inspired but i loved unearth and meshuggah but not enough to buy a 7. then i started getting tired of play a 6 and i kept tuning lower and lower till i was in drop A. and thennn i got tired of not having a high e string so i started to tune in standard again. :wallbash:

get it? haha

a seven just makes sense to me and i love love love playing them!

Æxitosus

Banned
Reaction score
I actually didn't know of any bands that played 7s (well that I knew played 7s) until after I started playing a 7. So I guess I inspired myself...?

Raymeous

Reaction score
Availability, a Chapman Stick, and John Williams (guy that did the Star Wars score, laugh all you want!)

Availability - I was always into film scores since seeing Star Wars (when it was new :eek:) and I felt that the extra range would help me orchestrate my music more effectively. Basically because it was there.

Chapman Stick - A friend of mine had two Chapman Sticks and let me borrow one for a week. I loved the ability to (i.e. attempt to) play bass lines and melodies at the same time. The 7 seemed like it would allow me to take this process to an instrument I was more familiar with.

John Williams - I'm was an only child that started off on violin. I grew up listening to film scores and John Williams is responsible for the majority of the most memorable ones: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurasic Park, Jaws, in short anything done by Lucas or Spielberg, not to mention the Olympic Fanfare theme! I love how he uses every instrument to its fullest and how dynamic and melodic his themes are. The 7 string lets me divide up the parts when I'm writing and pull off some stuff I couldn't do otherwise.

The shop by my house at the time got two Universe guitars from NAMM, a white one and the black one with green pickups. So I bought the white one and the other guitarist I was playing with at the time picked up the black one. So I had mine about a month after production models became available. :hbang::hbang::shred::hbang::hbang:

omgmjgg

WTFCAKES
Reaction score
the guys from tony danza tapdance extravaganza got me into 7's and then i was introduced to meshuggah.

jpmisery

Reaction score
well for me it was Korn as well.....then the Deftones,Nevermore,John Petrucci,Chris Broderick,Jeff Loomis,Steve Vai,Dave Weiner,Dino Cazares,Rusty Cooley and Meshuggah who along with Cazares also got into the 8 string.

7stringabuser

McBrutal
Reaction score
Straight up Whitechapel...And I play in Drop-A...i wish I could have the quickness of powerchord progression that I get in drop-A and also still have the versatility of A-Standard...that and the fact the music stores where I live are shit and have crappy 7-String sets

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
ihsahn. i was a huge emperor fan (still am) and when prometheus came out and i saw the vid for empty i had to pause it a few times on the headstock and count the tuners and i was like wtf?? so i immediately put my bank account into the hole for a then in 2002 NOS RG7620BK F99 and that was that. too bad i had to pawn it so i could get married. luckily my wife let me get another one from the same year in mint condition back in 04. then i got the stupid idea that i would paint it and shit and never finished it so i sold it. now im in the market for a 7 again lol.

raifo

Reaction score
Head and Munky, Shane gibson has really inspired me, vai, wes borland, stephen carpenter, rusty cooley, john petrucci, Meshuggah, Dino and Christian, Stam1na, and all those six string players that tune to B and A slipknot, coal chamber, stuff like that

Latest posts

')