Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deaths Madrigal

The Soulcollector
Reaction score
I was 15 years old and i was a Korn fanatic. Brian 'Head' Welch was pretty much my idol at that point in my life, so needless to say, a 7 string guitar was a must for me. Fast forward 9 years in my life and i have yet to pick up a 6er again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whitestrat

Reaction score
I never really stuck to 7 strings. I just liked the extended range idea. Never really caught on to the Korn phase. I couldn't even tell when Vai was on the 7 and when he was on the 6. JP was obvious, because "A Change Of Seasons" was one of my fav tracks at that time.

But I never wanted to learn to play a 7 as a metal guitar. I always wanted to learn to use it as an instrument like how this guy plays his 8 string:

But I ended up still playing Rock/Metal... Whahahaha...

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I was a huge Korn fan in high school. So they got me to buy my first 7 which was an Ibanez. That is gone now though. I also liked Limp Bizkit, Flaw, and and other Nu MEtally bands back then. Got into Fear factory back then.

Influences today that reignited my love for the 7 and such would be Steph of the Deftones, Unearth, Loomis, Dino, etc...

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis, and Rusty Cooley were the reason I got a 7 string.... Devin Townsend helped quite a bit too :D. After I got my shitty Washburn 7....there was no turning back!

Cypher

Reaction score
First time I got interested was around Meshuggah's D.E.I. album, they were interviewed about their green/black Ibanez 7's on a metal tv programme. Furthermore the almighty Loomis!!

TheSymphony

Reaction score
Nobody, because I don't play 7-stringed guitars... yet.

Anyone here that uses the Ibanez Xiphos XPT707FX guitar?

:shred:

cob

Metalest man alive
Reaction score
John Petrucci. I actually bought my first seven string just to learn Scene Seven: The Dance of Eternity. But, once I had it I couldn't put it down. I discovered a new appreciation for korn and found many many many seven stringers in famous-land. Nevermore and Necrophagist made a difference. And Seven-string by satriani and some of steve vai's old stuff had it.

yep

77Barrettcore77

King Of Bald Rats
Reaction score
When i first heard the passion and warfare album 7 years ago i wanted a seven string. Unearth also inspire me to play seven strings. it has just taken me 7 years to get one.

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
Korn, Linkin Park (With You ofc), Fear Factory, Meshuggah.
Marten Hagstrom single-handedly is getting me into 8 stringers >_<
WONT BE ABLE TO AFFORD FOR LONG TIME!

scorch15

AngelOfTheBeast
Reaction score
i was hugely inspired by my guitar teacher, (Nick Woodward of DarkestGrace) and i desided to get one and let it rip and i havent regreted it at all, i use standard B tuning

Panacea224

Reaction score
Petrucci initially, but it was Trivium's shogun album and Jeff Loomis that really got me hooked.

ConcealerofFate

Needer of Intrepid
Reaction score
I don't have a Seven yet, but I'm planning on getting one in the next month or so, but the person that inspired me to play sevens is actually one of my good friends, Drew.
He plays all the time and records his own stuff, which is what I strive to do.
He's also two years younger than me, and considering he's still in high school, you can see that he's farther along than I am.
So yeah, here's to my friend Drew, for giving me the inspiration to play 7's.

Stringjam

Reaction score
Matte Henderson was the first big "whoa, holy virtuoso" I must get one moment...

_TJK*

I agree on Matte - - unique player is an understatement.

I think the first actual moment I knew I wanted to pick up a 7, however, was after hearing the amp demos that Bob Savage did for Bogner several years ago.

friday11

Reaction score
I decided to play 7 strings because of Unearth...but I found out, that there are much more then those guys!!!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I'm revising my previous answer.

it was simply Korn. ever since I heard Korn at 10 I wanted a K7 and now my bro has one so I just play that.

my first guitar, a Les Paul copy, was always tuned to drop A, and my second guitar was a baritone... I didn't actually buy a 7 string until 2007 which was a 7321 which I hated... now I've got a 7621 but I don't like that either. might look into ESP or Schecter as I need a new one :cool:

')