Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Awake77

Reaction score
i decided to switch to the seven, when i heard dream theaters "awake" album.

Same here, bought my RG7620 back in 1998 and never looked back. I haven't owned a 6 string electric since.

Although, that 27 fret Xiphos has me thinking a 6'er might be nice:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewK

Reaction score
No one at all. I got my first seven just because it was in the shop and I dug it. The fact that it had seven strings was pretty much irrelevant to me then.

Rabsa

Former Tentacle Minister
Reaction score
In the beginning the biggest inspiration comes from some Finnish bands Mokoma & Stam1na.

Now a days the biggest inspirers are maybe Munky from KoRn, John Petrucci from Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, Kaoru from Dir en grey (yep, only one song with sevens, I know) and at last, but not the least Miya from Mucc.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Watching Jason Richardson's youtube videos today made me switch back to 7's.

brainchild

ss.org mathlete
Reaction score
tony danza was the pushing edge for me after watching Laynes Hand Job clip.

but some formidable mentions of course would be:

ion dissonance
TTEOTD
fellsilent
meshuggah.....isnt it really a given?
spawn of possession
all shall perish
after the burial
despised icon.....???? i think one of the guitarist is a 7, the other a 6

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
I'd have to say Petrucci alone is responsible for me buying one. It was only after that I started listening to bands like Nevermore etc.

I normally play Standard tuning or half a step down.

(I'm boring like that)

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
I use to dig Korn, I loved Fear Factory. Machine Head? Not sure if they just drop B or use a 7.

Got out of music for a while. Finally picked bass up again, learned a lot of Nintendo music. Started listening to the Mad Capsule Markets. I hate changing tunings from standard to drop D to drop B, I had to get a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar to play all the stuff I like.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
It started with Korn back in the Self-Titled album days. I loved the crunch and riffage. But at that stage it was a low B sting on a standard 6 string as I couldn't afford a 7 and there weren't too many around.

I moved on to Fear Factory but the detuned 6 was ok casue Dino wasn't bustin out to many solos.

But after seeing Unearth tour with KSE and Lamb of God back in 2006 I had to buy one. Then I started looking for other 7 string playing bands and got into Nevermore, Dream Theater, All Shall Perish etc.

So I would Say Buzz and Ken forced my hand, but the Korn boys and Dino started it off.

rossevans

Reaction score
Chris Storey.

Picked up the price of existence and was stunned.

Google'd all shall perish, found chris storey...bought a 7 string!

sandwichamwin

Reaction score
Korn was the initial inspiration i guess (how i first heard of 7 string guitars anyway). However that was long before I even played guitar.

However it was probably John Petrucci who really made me want to buy one and then after hearing of the band "Nevermore"... the deal was done! :shred:

It's painful being a guitar teacher and having to use 6 strings all day because the kids are too retarded to understand the concept of a 7 string.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Korn, Vai, Satch, Petrucci, and Fear Factory. In fact the way I play my 7 is a mixture of all of the aforementioned influences.

Latest posts

')