Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shrediban3z

Reaction score
I have wanted a seven string since i heard of Korn like alot of you. But most recently i wanted to learn to play some unearth and try to write some seven string music of my own.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
KoRn actually turned me off to 7 strings at first, but Broderick and Loomis got me back into it. I love the idea of playing seriously heavy riffs and melodic leads at once and my high string could be a 9 still.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Galius inspired me he come over and jammed out when we first met and the seven just sounded so fresh, so he let me borrow one and here i am bought a couple since and now he as you know is using 8's now

DC23

Reaction score
Dream Theater opened my eyes to sevenstrings. But, I got to the point where I was just listening to more are more Trivium, Unearth, Scar Symmetry and fun stuff like that, so I thought I'd give it a try!

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
7 strings always made more musical sense to me. :shrug:

with 6 strings in standard tuning, there is a gap between the highest string on the bass, and the lowest on the guitar. with the low B in there, you fill that gap.

so in a perfect world, all basses would go B E A D G
and all guitars would continue... B E A D G b e

thus creating world peace and lack of hunger. :)

Baco

Banned
Reaction score
Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy), that would be around 97-98 or something...

bryceberginski2

Reaction score
Me personally it was just the desire to experiment, not really anyone influenced my decision. My favorite tuning though would have to be Drop A (AEADGBE)

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
The first 7-strng I saw was an Ibanez RG7620BK, in the hands of Demon Dagger's Vítor Carvalho. Only later did I find out that Mr. Vai and Mr. Petrucci both used them.

So, my influences were, in this order, Vítor Carvalho, John Petrucci and Steve Vai.

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Another one to add to my list, because they highly influence the way I approach the guitar now: FellSilent
Am I the only one who thinks they're absolutely amazing? Cuz DAMN!

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
I'm probably like the 500th person to say this, but when I heard Train of Thought I was hooked. Also when I saw Vai playing them.

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
This dude.I posted these guys before but like i said The solo will slay all.I recorded my 1st cd demo with him And I got a 7string in like 2 months and sold all of my 6ers to get a better amp.His name in Hector Camerena the bands name is 5393

Slide

Reaction score
The first influence was years ago from a danish player Torben Enevoldsen. I first heard him playing on the tribute album for Jason Becker. I got interested and got his solo album and also his bands album Section A labelled "The Seventh Sign". His tone was a real inspiration.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
Emperor's final album, Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire and Demise, influenced me to pick up a seven, i stay in BEADGBE

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
not who but what.
When I was 16(80's), I was going to school with a MONO walkman when I heard a distorted guitar solo from a brazilian pop rock music.
It blowed up my mind,how beautiful that sound was.

Scapegoat

Scapegoat
Reaction score
I was inspired by the original 7 String Electric Guitarist: Maestro Alex Gregory. Loved his album, Paganini's Last Stand. When I heard he invented the 7 string guitar to be able to mimic the violin - well, I just thought that was cool as hell!

')